Chord Hugo
Feb 6, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #14,641 of 15,694
Feb 6, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #14,642 of 15,694
John's response to elviscaprice near the top of the previous page.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/14625#post_13239303

But will that be the standard treatment to all Hugo customers when their battery eventually dies 3-4 years after purchase? Or this is a one-time exception/offer? Will each Hugo owner have to go through what elviscapris did (many back-and-forth posts & replies in forum) to get their battery replaced without having to chip out $400+?

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #14,643 of 15,694
But will that be the standard treatment to all Hugo customers when their battery eventually dies 3-4 years after purchase? Or this is a one-time exception/offer? Will each Hugo owner have to go through what elviscapris did (many back-and-forth posts & replies in forum) to get their battery replaced without having to chip out $400+?

No idea. Personally, and I emphasis this for myself only, I am not the type to expect preferential treatment if my battery is used in a reasonable way and the lifespan is what is expected for such a device, even if the manufacturer has stepped up for one customer. I'm happy a resolution is forthcoming for the customer. If there was a common issue that would justify a general recall, or some other action, I imagine many more users would have been complaining already but that simply isn't the case.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #14,644 of 15,694
Rechargeable batteries will always have a limited useful life. Eventually the batteries will have to be replaced. All portable electronic devices depend on rechargeable batteries. Li-ion batteries are the best choice given they have the best power/capacity to weight/size ratio. But they are also pretty dangerous if poor quality components are used and/or good design principles are not followed -  just ask Samsung. I'm sure Chord does not cut corners in their products, so if Chord does not advice the average user to replace worn batteries on their own, they have a good reason. A typical Li-ion battery does last a good 3-5 years, but I have seen much less in some cheap Chinese knock-offs.

But what is important is that good manufacturers stand behind their products. If a bad batch does leak through the cracks - and it happens in manufacturing - the manufacturer will back them up. Conspiracy theories about planned obsolenscence and devices rendered useless spontaneously so customers are forced to upgrade are such nonsense and no sensible company would do such a thing and continue to stay in business for long.

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #14,645 of 15,694
Can we get some clarification though? I definitely respect Mojo ideas offer, very kind and beyond being the right thing to do...but what is the actual cost of a battery replacement for a Hugo? I've seen $40...but elviscaprice posted something entirely different. I'm not sure sure why the focus on his post, was more questioning him and his motives, instead of the large discrepency in price. The quote I read from chord I believe was much lower than what he stated... And not a few dollars off, but several hundred.

Can we get the actual price of a battery replacement, without the shipping costs, as that is a variable.

Again, Mojo ideas, that is an incredible offer, which leaves me amazed.

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #14,647 of 15,694
I would very much appreciate a definite answer from Chord to this question. For an Asian like me $400 is a huge amount.

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #14,649 of 15,694
I'm completely blown away by Chord's response! Wow. Considering that many users will use their battery powered device in many different ways and charge them differently as well, this is unprecedented. One user's device usage and battery management will not equal another's so wide sweeping statements about the battery life are largely unfounded, but Chord stepped up above and beyond.

Things like keeping a battery plugged in and at near full charge will reduce lifespan, as will repeated deep discharges. This is a fact of lithium batteries and there are many ways to alleviate a shortened lifespan by adopting good battery charging and use habits (for all lithium battery powered devices).

Some good tips here on how to maintain good lithium battery life can be found here:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
I made the offer to one guy who was obviously very bothered hence the numbers of postings he'd made about the battery. I was concerned he was fretting too much over this. It won't be our policy! As we would take each case on its merits. Fortunately I don't think there will be too many of them. Also those customers that just send their units to us even though the batteries are good hoping for replacements will just have them tested by us and returned as sent.

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #14,650 of 15,694
I made the offer to one guy who was obviously very bothered hence the numbers of postings he'd made about the battery. I was concerned he was fretting too much over this. It won't be our policy! As we would take each case on its merits. Fortunately I don't think there will be too many of them. Also those customers that just send their units to us even though the batteries are good hoping for replacements will just have them tested by us and returned as sent.

It's good that you've clearly stated this. I don't expect every case would be the same as this one, and I certainly don't expect Chord to address every issue in this same manner, as I think I've clearly posted. I'm just commending Chord for helping this individual in what I would also consider a unique, if not a little sticky situation. In my opinion this is what separates a good company from a great one.

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #14,652 of 15,694
Frank you needed to pm elviscaprice your generous offer and not make it public. Of course it should be a one on one basis and not policy. Sorry I started this line of conversation. Maybe now that this situation is looked after the thread can return to posts about Hugo and recommended listening experience instead of batteries. I'm sure that was the intention in the first place.
I am told after 2 years and a few months since I have acquired my Hugo, I can still confirm I am using it Dayley and am looking forward to receiving a long delayed noble encore and test out the new iem via Hugo and dhc silver litz 8 braid.

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #14,653 of 15,694
I would very much appreciate a definite answer from Chord to this question. For an Asian like me $400 is a huge amount.

I debated with myself whether to respond as in many ways that keeps the debate going and what needs to happen is for this to just die as a non event discussion. First off, any item that has rechargeable batteries may at some point require them to be replaced. That's a no-brainer fact of life. If this needs doing on an item that is out of warranty then, just like a car, you decide whether it is worth the cost of getting the manufacturer to do it or whether you just get an aftermarket technician to do it. As far as I know, these are not special batteries in the Chord products. Some require a soldering iron to replace but some don't even require that.

So, less of the moral outrage please guys. Grow up, enjoy the fine products without all the histrionics. IF at some point in the future you need to get new batteries then remember that's all they are - just rechargeable batteries and a competent technician in your own country will do it for you at a reasonable cost.

The mods have already said they will keep an eye on this thread and take some action if the battery theme persists. How about we just drop it or if you are really bothered, start a new battery thread instead.

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #14,654 of 15,694
No they won't

Maybe not in a few months, but please, with all my respect, Chord designers:

consider the following:

Can you contemplate in new models, variants, add-ons (Mojo xs, Hu-jos, Mo-gos, Mollys, whatever) 

an USB powered specimen?

With no batteries at all, it would be simpler (I think), cheaper (for sure), with zero issues for non UK costumers.

Yes, it would not be portable, but most of us use the device in the vicinity of a computer. And its bigger brothers are out of bounds for budgetary reasons.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back