Chord Hugo
Feb 6, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #14,626 of 15,694
In a few months from now a very large number of Hugo owners will have to deal with dead batteries. I think Chord should come up with a clear policy on this issue as it will get Hugo owners very unhappy. Same will happen with Hugo TT, Mojo and Hugo 2 owners. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #14,627 of 15,694
In a few months from now a very large number of Hugo owners will have to deal with dead batteries. I think Chord should come up with a clear policy on this issue as it will get Hugo owners very unhappy. Same will happen with Hugo TT, Mojo and Hugo 2 owners. 
wouldnt this happen to every dap, amp , watch, phone ever sold?

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #14,628 of 15,694
Seriously?  You think I'm a troll here.  Been posting in this thread since I've owned this DAC in April of 2014.  Chord reads this thread.  If my numbers, they, Chord, emailed me are incorrect then they should refute them.  Otherwise contact them yourself to confirm.   Agree about the 2Qute.
  In answer to Seawolf, no, you need the working batteries connected for powering the Hugo, will not work without.
Elviscaprice this is obviously an issue that's personally bothering you a lot. We don't like to have unhappy customers so please let me make put your mind to rest and say that if you contact us then send the unit we will change your batteries at our cost we will even pay for your shipping the unit to and from us

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #14,629 of 15,694
Can this battery issue be seen as planned obsolescence? Car makers often give large rebates over suggested retail price knowing that dealers will recover money from servicing. Hope this new pattern is not be pushed forward by Chord. 
confused.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #14,630 of 15,694
Seriously?  You think I'm a troll here.  Been posting in this thread since I've owned this DAC in April of 2014.  Chord reads this thread.  If my numbers, they, Chord, emailed me are incorrect then they should refute them.  Otherwise contact them yourself to confirm.   Agree about the 2Qute.
  In answer to Seawolf, no, you need the working batteries connected for powering the Hugo, will not work without.
Elviscaprice this is obviously an issue that's personally bothering you a lot. We don't like to have unhappy customers so please let me make put your mind to rest and say that if you contact us then send the unit we will change your batteries at our cost we will even pay for your shipping the unit to and from us

Wow squeak works, you do realize that this should be policy now.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #14,632 of 15,694

​A gracious offer indeed.  Thanks John.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #14,634 of 15,694
  Can this battery issue be seen as planned obsolescence? Car makers often give large rebates over suggested retail price knowing that dealers will recover money from servicing. Hope this new pattern is not be pushed forward by Chord. 
confused.gif

I suspect that in this business, obsolescence is governed by the advancement of technology.  Batteries do become useless after a certain number of charging cycles.  Companies such as Chord and others learn from their previous designs and come out with new products, i.e. the Hugo2.  I think that planned obsolescence hangs on the honour of the company involved.  My gut feeling tells me that Chord is trying to be upstanding.
I don't really like having to send my unit across the ocean to change a battery.  But I like the unit, and will quite likely buy the H2.  Therefore, that's the price I pay for the Chord sound.  But that's just me, and if the country distributer could be able to change out the battery for us, that would be better.  But, that won't prevent me from owning their products in the future.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #14,635 of 15,694
If you ever send your Hugo for battery replacement make sure they replace both batteries. I know this because it happened with mine. Cost a lot of $ for being told they only change the one battery that was dead. 
mad.gif

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #14,637 of 15,694
  I'm considering to buy two hugos and dedicate the next 10 years to a good battery test...... enough about this battery scramble. Right? 

Get a Silver and Black so they atleast standout! How are you going to use both these Hugo's? Will one be solely for travel? And the other for home use always plugged into the power supply?

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #14,638 of 15,694
  Get a Silver and Black so they atleast standout! How are you going to use both these Hugo's? Will one be solely for travel? And the other for home use always plugged into the power supply?

If I reply, I am just as good as the next.. 

Well, I only have ideas about one of them. It will be attached to my daughters smartphone. In such a way it isn't possible to use the phone without the hugo. Also, I will have an external battery log/monitor invented. With it's own power source of course. Real low consumption. 
Daily I will get logs from the now 'real life' portable hugo. this will be the H2. The other Hugo might go to my 65 year old neighbor who rarely is allowed to listen to his cd's for his wife. But the TV is on all day. I will include the same battery log/monitor device and remind him to use the Hugo. 

Look out for battery reports!

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #14,639 of 15,694
I'm completely blown away by Chord's response! Wow. Considering that many users will use their battery powered device in many different ways and charge them differently as well, this is unprecedented. One user's device usage and battery management will not equal another's so wide sweeping statements about the battery life are largely unfounded, but Chord stepped up above and beyond.

Things like keeping a battery plugged in and at near full charge will reduce lifespan, as will repeated deep discharges. This is a fact of lithium batteries and there are many ways to alleviate a shortened lifespan by adopting good battery charging and use habits (for all lithium battery powered devices).

Some good tips here on how to maintain good lithium battery life can be found here:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #14,640 of 15,694
I'm completely blown away by Chord's response! Wow. Considering that many users will use their battery powered device in many different ways and charge them differently as well, this is unprecedented. One user's device usage and battery management will not equal another's so wide sweeping statements about the battery life are largely unfounded, but Chord stepped up above and beyond.

Things like keeping a battery plugged in and at near full charge will reduce lifespan, as will repeated deep discharges. This is a fact of lithium batteries and there are many ways to alleviate a shortened lifespan by adopting good battery charging and use habits (for all lithium battery powered devices).

Some good tips here on how to maintain good lithium battery life can be found here:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

What response are you referring to? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back