Chord Hugo
May 8, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #10,576 of 15,694
Whats with the wyrd, i dont want to be sold it, the manufacturer says there is no sound benefit. Unless you have some source usb issues. Just saying......

May 8, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #10,578 of 15,694
Whats with the wyrd, i dont want to be sold it, the manufacturer says there is no sound benefit. Unless you have some source usb issues. Just saying......

Well, Schiit simply does not want to claim anything that would be too "superstitious" for them to explain to those who are hard to convince. Also, I don't want to simply say that there are quite a few people that claim that the wyrd does something but the thing is that a computer in reality is a mess. Yes, it simply puts out information to the DAC in bits and codes but still, it's less-than-ideal for audio. Especially when comparing it to something like an Aurender music server, a computer seems like a noise and distortion nightmare. All in all, I'm not talking about a $6000 USB interface which does exist out there, but a $99 piece of Schiit :). Can't hurt too much I guess.

May 8, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #10,579 of 15,694
Computers really are quite messy and that's why some of us might consider adding Corning for $110

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/05/measurements-corning-usb-3-optical.html
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/corning-optical-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-cable-experiences-23437/

That's also why I moved the target to something relatively simple called SDTrans384

DEtlbryl.jpg

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=935
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/142562-microsd-memory-card-transport-project-50.html

May 8, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #10,580 of 15,694
  Well, Schiit simply does not want to claim anything that would be too "superstitious" for them to explain to those who are hard to convince. Also, I don't want to simply say that there are quite a few people that claim that the wyrd does something but the thing is that a computer in reality is a mess. Yes, it simply puts out information to the DAC in bits and codes but still, it's less-than-ideal for audio. Especially when comparing it to something like an Aurender music server, a computer seems like a noise and distortion nightmare. All in all, I'm not talking about a $6000 USB interface which does exist out there, but a $99 piece of Schiit :). Can't hurt too much I guess.

I cannot understand this.

Schiit said themsevles that it does not change SQ, and for most people the SQ is the same.

I never really god a difference, with any equipment from USB.

How does it sound when using USBs that create noise?

Could my luck be because i am using a laptop, which does not draw power directly, but passes it through a battery?

May 8, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #10,581 of 15,694

Schiit said themsevles that it does not change SQ, and for most people the SQ is the same.

Could my luck be because i am using a laptop, which does not draw power directly, but passes it through a battery?

You hear it in the treble the most. There are even people who prefer that kind of tuning with their headphones.

May 9, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #10,582 of 15,694
Hi. New Hugo owner here!

One of my best hi-fi purchases so far.

Dynamics, depth of image, tonality and bass definition are top-notch IMO.

Exclusive home headphone use only.

Hugo is directly connected to a FirstWatt F5 driving the notorious Hifiman HE-6.

End result is unbelievable and crystal-clear.

Personally tried a variety of sources in the past: AudioByte Dragon, Audio-gd Reference 5.32, ODAC /salas BiB (diy), Soekris (diy)...

Nothing comes even close!

PS. Source is a diy front end based on Raspberry Pi2 + Audiowind LPS running Archphile (www.archphile.org).

May 9, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #10,584 of 15,694

Many DACs, including the new Hugo TT is supposed to have "galvanically isolated" USB but the Hugo does not. This is one of the major reasons why there are people who use USB interfaces such as the WYRD for the Hugo. Also, this difference in sound that is heard varies from person to person. Recording used, how familiar one is with the music, other equipment in the chain, headphone used, and so on affects differences that are hard to note.
By "for most people the SQ is the same" what do you mean? Do you mean that most people who have used the WYRD cannot hear a difference?
I am personally yet to have gotten a WYRD in my hands to test out yet but I sure plan to do after getting a Hugo this month.

About your laptop, I don't think it's because it's a laptop since a few friends of mine say they have problems with noise from computers because of certain parts, and they're too crammed in to a small space without being separated onto different boards/space. I also heard that fans in computer used to cool computers generate a lot of noise in the circuits (not because of the noise made by the fan running itself). I'm not an expert but these are some thing's I've heard.

BTW, I don't want to spark a debate on whether or not it's a placebo, different people hear different things, etc, etc.
To me exploring new audio topics/equipment is like going to Alice's Wonderland on a unicorn so I'm willing to put down $99, because it's only $99 and some people like @Currawong have said it does help out. I don't think $99 is too much compared to all the expensive USB cables out there anyway.
Lastly, I think that, as stated in a recent issue of Stereophile, the most dangerous word in the world of audio is "good enough"
I just like exploring things I guess. :) I hope this clears up some of the things I've said. Cheers.

May 9, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #10,587 of 15,694
  Currently, a lindy cromo gold 1 m found easily on eBay.

For pc > Wyrd connection I'll use a diy one made with shielded quad-core Van Damm cable and gold-plated usb connectors.

I think I'll go with Moon Audio's Silver Dragon usb cables after I get the WYRD. It'll be a relatively weird cable setup since the Hugo's got the micro USB input :p
Good luck with the DIY!

May 9, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #10,588 of 15,694
  Many DACs, including the new Hugo TT is supposed to have "galvanically isolated" USB but the Hugo does not. This is one of the major reasons why there are people who use USB interfaces such as the WYRD for the Hugo. Also, this difference in sound that is heard varies from person to person. Recording used, how familiar one is with the music, other equipment in the chain, headphone used, and so on affects differences that are hard to note.
By "for most people the SQ is the same" what do you mean? Do you mean that most people who have used the WYRD cannot hear a difference?
I am personally yet to have gotten a WYRD in my hands to test out yet but I sure plan to do after getting a Hugo this month.

About your laptop, I don't think it's because it's a laptop since a few friends of mine say they have problems with noise from computers because of certain parts, and they're too crammed in to a small space without being separated onto different boards/space. I also heard that fans in computer used to cool computers generate a lot of noise in the circuits (not because of the noise made by the fan running itself). I'm not an expert but these are some thing's I've heard.

BTW, I don't want to spark a debate on whether or not it's a placebo, different people hear different things, etc, etc.
To me exploring new audio topics/equipment is like going to Alice's Wonderland on a unicorn so I'm willing to put down $99, because it's only $99 and some people like @Currawong have said it does help out. I don't think $99 is too much compared to all the expensive USB cables out there anyway.
Lastly, I think that, as stated in a recent issue of Stereophile, the most dangerous word in the world of audio is "good enough"
I just like exploring things I guess. :) I hope this clears up some of the things I've said. Cheers.

Taken from the FAQ section on the Wyrd's product page.

"What about galvanic isolation?
When you talk about galvanic isolation, you’re talking about USB 1.1. There is no galvanic isolation that works at full USB 2.0 speed (480Mbps)."

May 9, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #10,590 of 15,694

They specifically said:

ome listeners say Wyrd improves the sound of their system. We’re not going to make any such claims.

Since they cannot know how every single DAC out there with a USB input is designed, they cannot make any general claim about what effect it will have. 
smile.gif

As Jeff pointed out though: $99 is cheaper than most audiophile USB cables (and products like the Audiophilleo and OffRamp) and at least we know that the Wyrd does do something, whereas there is much uncertainty with USB cables. 
smile.gif

The funny thing is, The Wyrd is handy when I have a DAP that isn't playing nice with Android File Transfer. Copying files seems to work better sometimes when not using a regular, cheap USB cable, but a better quality cable and/or the Wyrd. Likewise when using Audirvana to up-sample to 384k (though not with the Hugo) as it has lowered the number of drop-outs in my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back