Chord Hugo
Apr 20, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #10,336 of 15,694

1) Is Project XXXX going to be demonstrated at Munich HighEnd 2015?
2) Will there be a firm-ware update for the Hugo in future, based on new things you have learned from Project XXXX

+1 ( same question: I go to Munich & I have a HUGO)

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #10,337 of 15,694
After 2 weeks of tests of the ARM DP-777SE against the HUGO to see if the ARM was a worthy upgrade to my HUGO.... The ARM return to the dealer.   HUGO win !  
biggrin.gif

(at least the SQ difference between the 2 DACs do NOT justify buying a new DAC. So, HUGO go back to work in my desktop rig :)

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #10,338 of 15,694
Yes project xxxx is going to be launched at Munich. No, unlikely to be an upgrade for Hugo as the improvements require a lot more FPGA capacity. Given the FPGA hardware gate count, Hugo is pretty much optimum.

Rob

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #10,339 of 15,694
Thanks, Rob – I'm pretty curious!

Apr 20, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #10,340 of 15,694
  After spending over 6 months and listen to Hugo about 4 hours everyday , I found the amazing sound is over . I found it lacking the full sound also the X factor that I was listen to it in my early days slowly disappear
My question : Is hugo really colourless dac or what ? I just bought hugo TT the X factor still more than hugo hope it won't disappear it sound amazing with my focal speaker and lcd 3 f and other headphones .

X factor which make you say WAW.

I am like you, after the honeymoon, trying to find a "better HUGO", still portable, but better musicality while keeping it's outstanding precision & detail.

--> In Your opinion, Is the TT really better than the HUGO ?  You use it with headphones direct out of it's Headphone AMP or using an external Amp ?

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #10,341 of 15,694

The Hugo sounds a lot better via SPDIF. Compared to the TT,  the portable hasn't got a galvanically isolated USB connection.

The way to improve your Hugo to get the sparkle back in, is to get an Audiophileo 2 + Pure Power or Audiophileo 2 with a Linear Power supply.
Improves the bog standard Hugo to the level of the TT (almost) IMHO.

Other USB/SPDIF converters are obviously also available. [Stello U3, Audiobyte Hydra+,  Empirical Audio Off Ramp, Berkeley Alpha USB, etc]

Compared to the price of the TT, the extra expenditure for the USB/Spdif converter is well worth it.

Just a thougth,

Apr 20, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #10,342 of 15,694
  After spending over 6 months and listen to Hugo about 4 hours everyday , I found the amazing sound is over . I found it lacking the full sound also the X factor that I was listen to it in my early days slowly disappear
My question : Is hugo really colourless dac or what ? I just bought hugo TT the X factor still more than hugo hope it won't disappear it sound amazing with my focal speaker and lcd 3 f and other headphones .

You could always just buy some MSB Technology equipment, maybe throw in a Blue Hawaii and SR009's and call it good.

Apr 20, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #10,343 of 15,694

I am like you, after the honeymoon, trying to find a "better HUGO", still portable, but better musicality while keeping it's outstanding precision & detail.

--> In Your opinion, Is the TT really better than the HUGO ?  You use it with headphones direct out of it's Headphone AMP or using an external Amp ?

Imhp, Hugo still the best portable dac/amp .about TT yes it's better than hugo I feel TTs sound fuller , and more dynamic and engaging . Detail and soundstage is also better and bigger in TT . Hugo and TT sound amazing with low impedance headphones .
you didn't need an amp for TT, but you will need an one if you use hugo with high impedance headphones and speakers.
For me Hugo TT is worth the price it's better in every way .

USB add noise that you won't notice, so better to use Hugo with SPDIF which add smoothness but less engaging sound , still it's the best option .

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #10,345 of 15,694
  How TT sounds like with high impedance headphone? Say...T1's, HD800's, or HE-6's

yes , Hugo with T1 sound detail, big soundstage rare musicality .
Hugo TT  : not bright at all, sound very detail with fuller and more body and cleaner sound ,rare musicality , very engaging sound . where is this come from ?
so TT sound  is better everytime I use it with T1 and lcd 3 .

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #10,346 of 15,694

Disagree, I believe you have a pretty clear case of gear addiction leading inevitably to upgraditis. I'm afraid there is no known cure beyond removal of your frontal lobe : you are afflicted by the same endorphin release cycle that makes it so hard to wean people off some very addictive illegal narcotics. If you dont get help, they'll find you outside a homeless shelter mumbling 'Hey man, you got any change ? I'm a DSD addict and I'm trying to get clean'

Six months from now, you'll be telling us the TT just doesnt do it for you any more, and that what you really need is Yggdrasil or BADA or something else you cant get in a regular pharmacy. 

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #10,347 of 15,694

Disagree, I believe you have a pretty clear case of gear addiction leading inevitably to upgraditis. I'm afraid there is no known cure beyond removal of your frontal lobe : you are afflicted by the same endorphin release cycle that makes it so hard to wean people off some very addictive illegal narcotics. If you dont get help, they'll find you outside a homeless shelter mumbling 'Hey man, you got any change ? I'm a DSD addict and I'm trying to get clean'

Six months from now, you'll be telling us the TT just doesnt do it for you any more, and that what you really need is Yggdrasil or BADA or something else you cant get in a regular pharmacy. 

Will going for straight to TOTL headphone dac/amp and headphones, eg $10K worth, not cure me from this audiophiliac disease??

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #10,348 of 15,694

Will going for straight to TOTL headphone dac/amp and headphones, eg $10K worth, not cure me from this audiophiliac disease??

Take a look at some of the sigs here - several of which are about to be augmented with Yggy / HE1000 and at least one new amp - and tell me there is such a thing as an 'end game' rig. I really dont believe it exists as long as you are still willing to visit this site. 

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #10,349 of 15,694
Hi all. I'm intending to get the hugo to pair with my 1964 A12 and Shure 846 (silver cable). I've tried 2 demo units and on 1 I've heard hiss which I think is due to the sensitivity of the 846. But when I demo-ed another hugo somewhere else, I did not really notice the hiss. Could the hiss be due to the individual units?

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #10,350 of 15,694
hey @estreeter , I just put on my half speed master LP of 'Darkness', inspired by your avatar. Awesome disk! A good record collection is the best end game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back