Chord Hugo
Apr 10, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #10,231 of 15,694

And how does it sound? 
tongue_smile.gif
  I already know: better than Hugo and Hugo TT. Even better depth of image, more authentic soundstage, more authority...

....and it can run on BIG battery 
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #10,232 of 15,694
  Anyone knows what the life expectancy of hugo is, not considering batteries, which are replaceable?

Hope it's a good long while. I can't grow back my arm and leg!!

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #10,233 of 15,694

Hope it's a good long while. I can't grow back my arm and leg!!

I am very serious with the question, because i started considering buying chord hugo, even with the very high price, but i really would need it to last a while, or at least, to be able to get repairs, even if i pay for repairs, from chord.

But i want to know if any electronic circuit piece can actually degrade or something, and what life is it expected to have until it creates problems;

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #10,234 of 15,694
  I am very serious with the question, because i started considering buying chord hugo, even with the very high price, but i really would need it to last a while, or at least, to be able to get repairs, even if i pay for repairs, from chord.

But i want to know if any electronic circuit piece can actually degrade or something, and what life is it expected to have until it creates problems;

Seriously, I'm in the same boat, as I purchased it with the expectation of it being my go to portable unit for a very long time.

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #10,235 of 15,694
If you've come to a positive decision, maybe get a used Hugo. There's the For Sale forum.

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #10,236 of 15,694
  If you've come to a positive decision, maybe get a used Hugo. There's the For Sale forum.

of course, but first i will have to save up for one.. I almost come to the conclusion that hugo is the way for me, but i need to save money until i have enough to buy one
redface.gif

anyways, thanks a lot for the help!

Seriously, I'm in the same boat, as I purchased it with the expectation of it being my go to portable unit for a very long time.

at least the sound is made as an ultimate sound for a portable unit

Let's hope that someone will shed a light on what the actual life expectancy is
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #10,237 of 15,694
of course, but first i will have to save up for one.. I almost come to the conclusion that hugo is the way for me, but i need to save money until i have enough to buy one:xf_eek:

anyways, thanks a lot for the help!

at least the sound is made as an ultimate sound for a portable unit

Let's hope that someone will shed a light on what the actual life expectancy is:D

Well, it has only been out for just over a year. The guarantee you get from Chord Electronics (ex - Battery) is three years, which shows their faith in the unit.

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #10,238 of 15,694

Why would it not last at least as long as my HRT musicStreamer, a cheap and very basic DAC that I've owned for over 3 years without a problem ? We're not talking tubes in a class A amplifier here - if I can buy a microwave oven. laptop or a television that lasts for years with zero special care, should I not expect the PCB in the Hugo to last at least that long ? 

Not sure what the fear factor is in this case. 

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #10,240 of 15,694

Why would it not last at least as long as my HRT musicStreamer, a cheap and very basic DAC that I've owned for over 3 years without a problem ? We're not talking tubes in a class A amplifier here - if I can buy a microwave oven. laptop or a television that lasts for years with zero special care, should I not expect the PCB in the Hugo to last at least that long ? 

Not sure what the fear factor is in this case. 

No fear factor here, just a statement that this baby sounds good enough for me to use it for the long haul!  That was my intent in the purchase and I've not been disappointed thus far. From the sq to the construction and design, I am a happy camper.   It's rather refreshing that I'm not wondering if I should audition, next, this xyz DAP or that abc dac/amp.  Something new and wonderful may show up some day down the road, but I'm certainly not looking for it with the Hugo in hand.
atsmile.gif

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #10,242 of 15,694
Last time I got wowed like this was when they first released the hm801. It held its own for years, still sounds good to me. If you hear something you like then it will stand the test of time. Plan on using the Hugo for at least three years if not more. As I say that I sit with one of my backup headphones that I still use at times and sound great still, i ordered it the day before the economic crash, 2008 I think, on a Sunday night-dx1000s. The Hugo is my best audio purchase to this point so yeah......

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #10,243 of 15,694
Physical longevity is one thing - there are guys at Audiokarma still using tube amps from the 50s and 60s - but I have my doubts re the ability of many Head-Fiers (myself included) to stick with a single source for anything even approaching 3 years. When I started in this hobby - and 6 years isnt a long time over the course of an adult's working life - many claimed their 'end game' rig was the Grace M902 with - usually - HD600/650 or the K701 or a pair of Beyer cans (a few outliers had Grados, but the majority were from the big 3 at the time). Realistically, there just werent that many DAC/amp combinations out there capable of driving the aforementioned cans properly, and I expect that some did indeed end their Head-Fi journey there, either moving on to speaker rigs or simply reprioritising the importance of audio in their lives. 

Fast forward to 2015 and we have a smorgasbord of new products continually being rolled out, at prices that would make the 2009 Head-Fier reel, and its no longer just a few niche manufacturers eyeing off our wallets. The DiY cynics still band together and cast aspersions on the VFM equation for a lot of the shiny new gear (particularly amps), but for many of us its like being that kid in the candy store with 50 cents in his pocket : we want to taste everything at least once and take a large bag of some of it home. Kudos to anyone who can be content with the Hugo for 3 years but I'm guessing the CANJAM impressions have some of us eyeing off new toys already  :wink:

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #10,245 of 15,694
Has any one used the Oppo PM2 with the Hugo? How does it compare to the LCD3? I recently got the PM3 and am very impressed and am now thinking about my end game open hp for Hugo ( I find the LCDX a touch bright with it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back