Chord Hugo
Apr 8, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #10,216 of 15,694

Are you using your Hugo ? 

It's true there are so many things to consider why a high-res recording sounds excellent or sometimes crappy.
It depends very much on the chain and nowadays you have thousands of options to change it...

Yes, I A/B'ed both samples of the album through the Hugo.  And, of course, you're right about the chain.  I was refering to the recording studio to the CD and the files I downloaded.  I think the album was enjoyable and the higher resolution made it plain.

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #10,217 of 15,694
A  bit late, but Mark Knopfler's Tracker.  Iended up with both 44.1 and 192.  The 192 is more convincing background for one thing i.e., Laughs & Jokes, Drinks & smokes.  I sware upon my wife's eventual grave, there's a diference.

Thanks.

I did try some of the earlier files suggested by the two other posters with different bit rates. My two daughters both said that the 192 file sounded better than the 44.1 file , I.e. 'smoother' (in a blind test). My ears are a little older and I wasn't so sure.

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #10,218 of 15,694
Thanks.

I did try some of the earlier files suggested by the two other posters with different bit rates. My two daughters both said that the 192 file sounded better than the 44.1 file , I.e. 'smoother' (in a blind test). My ears are a little older and I wasn't so sure.

So,  +50 head-fiers should buy new EARS instead of new gears 
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #10,219 of 15,694
Apr 8, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #10,220 of 15,694
Are you using your Hugo ? 

It's true there are so many things to consider why a high-res recording sounds excellent or sometimes crappy.
It depends very much on the chain and nowadays you have thousands of options to change it...

The obvious possibility is the recording was crappy to start with... Garbage in garbage out. In fact crappy hi res probably worse than crappy Lo res recordings!

If we see so much variation in audio hardware why be surprised to see huge variation on the recording side...

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #10,221 of 15,694
I A/B'd several tracks (SACD PS3 rips) at 88.2/24 bit flac and MP3 256kb 44.1/16. The difference was more subtle on the Hugo than on the AK120. It's a pity, because I have more storage at home where I use the Hugo than on the go where I use the AK120. In the end it's easier to maintain one music collection. So I'll stick with high res where I have it. The Hugo is damn good with standard res files. 
BTW it was also easier to spot the difference with the HD800 than TH900. 

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #10,222 of 15,694

A  bit late, but Mark Knopfler's Tracker.  Iended up with both 44.1 and 192.  The 192 is more convincing background for one thing i.e., Laughs & Jokes, Drinks & smokes.  I sware upon my wife's eventual grave, there's a diference.

I don't think anybody is saying there is no difference, particularly if the original recording is 192 and you are comparing against 44.1 - so a sample rate converter is in the chain as well as decimation.

I recently purchased 96k 24 bit Chandos The Lark Ascending CHAN 10796 - which was the original master tape, and compared it to the 44.1/16 bit. Frankly I was surprised how small the difference was - the master tape was a bit smoother, more transparent. But I have heard much better sounds from other 44.1 recordings, which gets us back to the original comment - the recording is way more important than the format.

Rob  

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #10,223 of 15,694
  I don't think anybody is saying there is no difference, particularly if the original recording is 192 and you are comparing against 44.1 - so a sample rate converter is in the chain as well as decimation.

I recently purchased 96k 24 bit Chandos The Lark Ascending CHAN 10796 - which was the original master tape, and compared it to the 44.1/16 bit. Frankly I was surprised how small the difference was - the master tape was a bit smoother, more transparent. But I have heard much better sounds from other 44.1 recordings, which gets us back to the original comment - the recording is way more important than the format.

Rob  

Oh!  I'm glad you chimed in, Mr. Watts.  You're right; you can't make a silk purse from a bad recording.  All I'm saying is that good or bad, I really could hear a minor, but perceivable difference between voth versions of the album.  I don't question that the recording is the most important.
On another note, I must pay yet another compliment to Hugo.  I was listening to BBC's Complete Smiley the other night at 128MP3.  I noticed the Hugo was able to give a somewhat more pleasant listening experience than X5 or any other device I had.  It seemed to gloss over (a bit) the horrible sound an MP3 at 128 can give.  Thanks again for the Hugo.  IMHO

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #10,224 of 15,694
J-35 for Project XXXX 's launch in Munich high-End show :smiley:. Can't wait.

Any prerelease info you want to share with is Rob ? We won't tell anybody :)

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #10,225 of 15,694
Schiit Wyrd seems to do some magic with Hugo's HD-USB input.
I am running it out from my MacBook and it sounds much better than without.
I read a post about it in this thread and ordered soon afterwards.
Bigger soundstage, smoother treble and more controlled bass with Audirvana+ in integer mode.

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #10,227 of 15,694
  No sorry, Chord wants to max out the surprise, so I have to keep quiet!

But I am listening to it whilst typing....

Rob

And how does it sound? 
tongue_smile.gif
  I already know: better than Hugo and Hugo TT. Even better depth of image, more authentic soundstage, more authority...

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #10,228 of 15,694
  Schiit Wyrd seems to do some magic with Hugo's HD-USB input.
I am running it out from my MacBook and it sounds much better than without.
I read a post about it in this thread and ordered soon afterwards.
Bigger soundstage, smoother treble and more controlled bass with Audirvana+ in integer mode.

Don't know how they managed to make the lower range so full and still so punchy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back