Chord Hugo
Apr 6, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #10,186 of 15,694
has anyone tried a large battery for the Hugo?  On a recent flight, I did not have access to an AC outlet. thanks

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #10,189 of 15,694
Apr 7, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #10,190 of 15,694
  Well obviously in my opinion it is not a myth that they are hard to drive, it is the reality. In my world the myth would be that they need to be modified to sound good when they are actually just being under driven, or that you would need to add other equipment to color the sound. But of course in reality this is a debate for another thread.
wink_face.gif

This debate isn't completely off topic, as the amp question shows up from time to time in the context of the Chord Hugo. I'm not saying it's impossible that an extra amp can provide a more accurate end signal (from the headphone) than the Hugo's headphone out, but it's very unlikely with easy to drive transducers such as the HD 800 – if we leave balanced drive out. Your personal listening experience and the myth spread on Head-Fi don't change the fact that the HD 800 is easy to drive from a technical/electrical point of view. In turn the treble peak caused by inner reflections and the corresponding transient curruption are =863&scale=30]measurable, as well as the benefits from the modification (unfortunately watered down with the use of foam instead of velvet). I'm baffled again and again about how uncritically Head-Fi people throw out money to match their sonic preference, and very few try to analyse the weak points of their systems adequately. The vast majority of the ones who couldn't live with the HD 800's brightness have either sold it or begun the search for the ultimate amp «driving it to its potential». Only few have dared to do the modification. Even equalizing the peak, the second best solution, would have solved the problem for many of them. Buying an aftermarket cable for taming the brightness is another expensive variant, which may have an effect, but far from the source of the problem; moreover it doesn't take care for the still existing reflections, thus keeps the HD 800 off from its «full potential».

[Not to you, Dallan, specifically:]  I don't advocate a strict purist approach, but it's a good thing to be aware of cause and effect to get the most out of the music-listening hobby. It may be a refreshing experience not to unconditionally fall for the most spectacular or euphonic sound, but use the awareness of the technical reality for giving a more purist and less spectacular sound a try. The direct connexion to the Hugo is such an occasion.

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #10,195 of 15,694
Can the iBasso DX90 be used as a source for the Hugo, Or i'll have to use my laptop?

I use my Dx90 as my source. My upgrade path to the Chord Hugo was Ipod 5G to DX50 to Dx90 to Chord Hugo.

The biggest uplift in sound quality was from DX90 to the Chord Hugo but so is the price difference.

In my opinion, the Hugo delivers an exceptional transparency of how the music was played in the first place and in an immensely musical way. Great bass, great mids & highs across all types of music

When I started reading this thread and then the numerous glowing HIFI press reviews, which all state what an incredible device the Huho is whether as a portable or desktop DAC/Amp, I just couldn't get the thought of the Hugo out if my head.

I then had a demo and the rest is history :D

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #10,197 of 15,694
It is so tempting. I didn't even get my Concero yet!
How long does it take to fully charge it and how long does it last with sensitive headphones like the PS1000e?

Haha - that isn't actually a great position to be in :frowning2: because everything you read about the Hugo is good and pretty darn definitive.

Read more here -:

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/chord-hugo.asp

Apr 7, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #10,198 of 15,694
Thanks to all who posted impressions here, I now have a Hugo on order!  As my K10's seem to be able to scale up so well, I'm excited to hear them with this little gem!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back