Chord Hugo
Apr 2, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #10,081 of 15,694

I know it's not quite released yet, but if I was looking for a transport for Hugo, I'd probably go for the FiiO X3 II

Mmh but the interface looks just awful to me. I want to enjoy browsing my music collection as well as listening.

One decisive disadvantage of the X3 II (at least from my perspective, if I intended to use it as a transport) compared to the X5 is that the EQ doesn't work through its S/PDIF out.

That may not be a bad thing actually, so you get the untouched source for the Hugo to do its thing with..

I recommend the Cowon Plenue 1. It has optical out, which works extremely well with Hugo.

I thought about the the P1 and then didn't buy. Any caveats or restrictions on use with the Hugo? or niggles you down like?

Apr 2, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #10,083 of 15,694
Originally Posted by mannp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That may not be a bad thing actually, so you get the untouched source for the Hugo to do its thing with.

If you want «untouched», you could still turn the EQ off. So it's a feature missing (to some and me). Fortunately I have the X5.

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #10,084 of 15,694
What DAP are you guys using with the Hugo? My iPod classic died on me and I'm looking for a recommendation on DAPs. Currently I'm using my MBP/Audivana+/Hugo/various Cans.

Thanks in advance

I'm currently using an iPhone 6 which means I can access Tidal & Pandora.

Downside is my current model only has 32GB storage so I plan to upgrade to a 6+ with 128gb. The new iPod touch could be worth a look when it finally comes out?

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #10,085 of 15,694
if you are curious what FIR taps are, here is my post explaining it

fir is a basic up-sampling and interpolation algorythm, it takes two different samples, and interpolates them to make what is a step wave into something closer to a sine wave. It works exactly like anti aliasing works in games.

imagine a image, with pixels, applying a FIR interpolation you smooth the edges, and image becomes much more smoother. something similar. music is ideally made only of smooth waves, but in digital domain, it is made only of step waves; Every DAC in the world has a FIR filter for interpolation.

a TAP in a FIR filter is the number of times it interpolates two samples. 5 taps, mean that between two steps in a step wave, the filter will put 5 new smaller steps, the wave becomes closer to ideal, which is perfectly smooth, without any step

ideally, the best FIR filter is infinite, situation in which it makes the WAVE perfectly analogue, without any step wave. No DAC can do this, at the moment, no matter the price.

Hugo is the strongest in this aspect, it has around 20.000 taps. imagine that between two samples, two steps in a step wave, it creates based on mathemathics 20.000 new samples. the sound is very very closer to natural and totally analogue.

This is what the sinc function on hq player does, it adds a single TAP digitally, based on poly/sinc function. one, and it makes day/night difference. imagine 20.000. 

ideally most DACs already add a few taps, some around 30-50, depending on DAC and implementation, the hq player doubles the number you DAC already did, or adds one tap in DSP, then your dac adds 50 before the new sample and 50 after the new sample, depending on DAC implementation.

on my x5, it was not worth it, x5 alone sounded better. on my on-board laptop soundcard, it made the headphone output of the laptop sound close to my fiio x5... mind opening. Cheap soundcards do not add even one tap, and adding one makes a world of a difference.

best ideea is to not employ this technology in software, but get a DAC which adds taps, you are better off, there is a reason for which this thing is not stabe in computer processor, 

chord company build DAC only solutions cheaper than hugo that have the same properties, qute if i remember right, the new one has exactly the hugo sound, but no amp built in, and it is not usable as a portable, but costs half of hugo price.

Do not understand me wrong, all DACs would be capable of outputing a perfect smooth wave, they just cannot create it because it was not recorded like this, and not all DACs nor processors have the power to create FIR taps enough to re-build the analogue smooth wave.

DSD files are trying to reduce the step size, acting like there is a FIR filter around there. it works some times, and some times not, you need very high quality dsd for this to work, it does the exact same thing as hugo, but emplying another technology, instead of adding fir taps, DSD tries to divide a single second in so many small parts that eventually there will be no difference to a smooth analog wave. it does not work well, because it does create lots of divisions from a second, but they are sqare waves, based off 1 or 0. this is not a lot of data, so sometimes, depending on song it sounds better or worse than normal PCM. PCM is pulse code modulation, it divides the second always by the same number and the data is stored for a period of a second. you can always choose your poison, DSD will become better with future upgrades, but PCM technology is also far from touching it's limit.

please tell me if you cannot understand, i will try to explain even in more detail if i will be able to.

Apr 2, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #10,086 of 15,694

If you want «untouched», you could still turn the EQ off. So it's a feature missing (to some and me). Fortunately I have the X5.

Fair point well made :)

Apr 2, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #10,087 of 15,694
I'm currently using an iPhone 6 which means I can access Tidal & Pandora.

Downside is my current model only has 32GB storage so I plan to upgrade to a 6+ with 128gb. The new iPod touch could be worth a look when it finally comes out?

Keep in mind however it has been said earlier in this thread that iphones tend to sound better than the ipod touch when connected to the hugo

i can't verify this myself as i'm still waiting for mine to be delivered.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #10,088 of 15,694
Hello! 
I've been trying to find information about the Chord Hugo connected with the Galaxy Note Edge. I will only use the Note as a source and transport (considering I am downloading new tunes each day directly to the unit + I have many microSD cards and a few great applications for sound.) Should I look into buying a new source? Is there any loss at all in using the Note? 

My plan is to use the Note with the Chord Hugo through the USB OTG, because I only want to use the Note as a source/transport. If I would buy a new source (dap), what suggestions can you provide me with? (in the 100-500 dollar price range, I've been looking at the X5 and the DX50/DX90 mostly).

Another question: I will be buying either the K10U or the JH Layla universals, I would prefer to pair it with the Galaxy Note Edge (if there is no loss in SQ) and then of course the Chord Hugo. What is your tips for the best SQ? Which inputs should I use? 

Really been reading through this thread, but I could not find no specific answer, only personal thoughts (some said it does effect, other said it do not if you use it only as transport/source). 

Looking very forward to your replies! 

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #10,091 of 15,694
Way to much to buy, welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

a second mortgage is recommended.  better cables are a must.

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #10,092 of 15,694
Started around 7pm tonight with this combo:
The soundstage is massive! In front, around and even behind my head.

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #10,093 of 15,694
Hello! 
I've been trying to find information about the Chord Hugo connected with the Galaxy Note Edge. I will only use the Note as a source and transport (considering I am downloading new tunes each day directly to the unit + I have many microSD cards and a few great applications for sound.) Should I look into buying a new source? Is there any loss at all in using the Note? 

My plan is to use the Note with the Chord Hugo through the USB OTG, because I only want to use the Note as a source/transport. If I would buy a new source (dap), what suggestions can you provide me with? (in the 100-500 dollar price range, I've been looking at the X5 and the DX50/DX90 mostly).

Another question: I will be buying either the K10U or the JH Layla universals, I would prefer to pair it with the Galaxy Note Edge (if there is no loss in SQ) and then of course the Chord Hugo. What is your tips for the best SQ? Which inputs should I use? 

Really been reading through this thread, but I could not find no specific answer, only personal thoughts (some said it does effect, other said it do not if you use it only as transport/source). 

Looking very forward to your replies! 

I didn't use Note but I have S3, which I to my ears sounds better than iPhone 6 and MacBook Pro through Hugo. Cleaner clearer sound with no noise.

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #10,094 of 15,694
@estreeter
 You don't need the portable, you need the Liquid Crimson and a comfy chair. :wink_face:

I actually came back to this thread to post about something I said I'd do months ago and repeatedly forgot about -- buying a Schiit Wyrd and trying it with the Hugo. Since I was in LA there was no excuse not to. The result is outstanding, as good as using my Audiophilleo 1 with Pure Power I feel. 

Thanks for sharing. Audiophilleo is in my plans 'to buy' but hearing this is good news as Wyrd is much cheaper option.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:25 AM Post #10,095 of 15,694

I thought about the the P1 and then didn't buy. Any caveats or restrictions on use with the Hugo? or niggles you down like?

Only one: the P1's battery doesn't last as long as some would like. This doesn't bother me because my Hugo doesn't leave the house; I don't consider it portable. Otherwise, the P1 works seamlessly with Hugo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back