Chord Hugo
Feb 23, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #9,736 of 15,694
I own a Hugo as a standalone digital preamplifier and DAC since 2 weeks.

When I power on the Hugo, the volume setting is about -24dB. With efficient studio monitors, this level could be too high if me or my childrens forget to lower the volume. Is it possible to modify this behavior ?

Also the default digital input is never the coax input that I use mainly. Is possible that the Hugo saves the last digital input used ?

I am very pleased. Surely the DAC that I prefer for this task on sound quality criterion. For me I prefer it over DM, Benchmark, Lavry, Bel Canto DAC that I own in the past.

Thanks,

There does not seem to be firmware updates, so it looks like default settings are by definition default. Not that it matters but cross fade as well needs to be reset on start up.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #9,738 of 15,694
  That's my one annoyance with the Hugo - having to turn the volume down and select the input every time I switch it on.

All is forgiven 5 minutes into listening though.

My recommendation is to NOT ever turn it off.  Recharge it when needed, leave it on the charger when not in us (trickle) and just leave it on.  Digital clocks take 48 hours to settle back in to great sq.  No need to cycle that.

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #9,739 of 15,694
There does not seem to be firmware updates, so it looks like default settings are by definition default. Not that it matters but cross fade as well needs to be reset on start up.

Many thanks,

Oh, ok ! It is possible that sometimes I forgot to reset the cross fade...

It should be useful to get from Chord a standalone preamp/DAC firmware. 

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #9,740 of 15,694
   My recommendation is to NOT ever turn it off.  Recharge it when needed, leave it on the charger when not in us (trickle) and just leave it on.  Digital clocks take 48 hours to settle back in to great sq.  No need to cycle that.

Thanks.

Very interesting.

So you recommand to use it on battery during the listening sessions ? I have read different opinions on the subject. And what about the battery life ? 

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #9,741 of 15,694

Many thanks,

Oh, ok ! It is possible that sometimes I forgot to reset the cross fade...

It should be useful to get from Chord a standalone preamp/DAC firmware. 

The official explanation is that all available processor threads were used to perfect the DAC, so there was nothing left for "remembering" last used volume or input.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #9,742 of 15,694

The official explanation is that all available processor threads were used to perfect the DAC, so there was nothing left for "remembering" last used volume or input.

Ok. I understand the necessity to optimize the number of threads for execution of the digital filtering and dithering. But I was thinking that this required only a few bits in a flash memory.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #9,743 of 15,694

Ok. I understand the necessity to optimize the number of threads for execution of the digital filtering and dithering. But I was thinking that this required only a few bits in a flash memory.

I've managed to find Rob Watts' post. It was in the Portable Thread

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #9,745 of 15,694

I'd keep it switched on if it wasn't for the lights. I don't want my bedroom lit up during the night and I don't want to use electricity unnecessarily.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #9,746 of 15,694
Hello everyone!  I have Chord Hugo that's only a month old and I think something is wrong with the sample frequency light.  It's basically staying orange for anything above 44khz.  Up until today, whenever i would play 96khz files it would be green as it's supposed to be.  Or if I played DXD files it would be purple... Now it's only orange.  The music will play, but the light doesn't change color anymore.  Anyone ever have this problem?  Is there some kind of reset I can do or something?  Thanks for any help...

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #9,747 of 15,694
  Hello everyone!  I have Chord Hugo that's only a month old and I think something is wrong with the sample frequency light.  It's basically staying orange for anything above 44khz.  Up until today, whenever i would play 96khz files it would be green as it's supposed to be.  Or if I played DXD files it would be purple... Now it's only orange.  The music will play, but the light doesn't change color anymore.  Anyone ever have this problem?  Is there some kind of reset I can do or something?  Thanks for any help...

Not knowing what device is plugged in, I would tend to check the source. If you're feeding it from a computer you might wanna check the settings in the playback app. Or maybe you're using the standard res USB input (the one that doesn't have the power switch right next to it)? We need details!
I'm sure it'll work out fine.
Sam

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #9,748 of 15,694

Not knowing what device is plugged in, I would tend to check the source. If you're feeding it from a computer you might wanna check the settings in the playback app. Or maybe you're using the standard res USB input (the one that doesn't have the power switch right next to it)? We need details!
I'm sure it'll work out fine.
Sam

not to mention you do have it usb to the hd micro port as well. im not clear about files, but agree your computer midi settings need to be evaluated. oops i think i just repeated sams post....

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #9,750 of 15,694
I listen lg g3 + hugo and the sound is the same as without it((! Hugo did not sound impressive!

my hm 901 sounds on par with Hugo+lg g3!
I expected more from Hugo for the money 2400$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back