Chord Hugo
Oct 20, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #8,581 of 15,694
Hugo is one year old today. 

Sunday 20th Oct I did the first listening test, (with the fully tested and de-bugged code) on Hugo, and its fair to say I had my socks blown off. After listening for 30 minutes, I rushed a quick email at 7.59 am to Matt at Chord, saying "it sounds fantastic". That email didn't really express my excitement as to how much better it was, as I was in a hurry, and wanted to listen some more.

It was actually a profound shock; I knew it was going to sound better, but not the change in musicality - I was hearing things I had never heard from audio before, in particular the timbre qualities of instruments, and the way it resolved the starting and stopping of notes, and I was not sure where this performance was coming from.

One year on, and I now know the improved musicality was principally due to the re-writing of the code from the bottom up, plus the benefit in have much more space from the Xilinx Spartan-6 FPGA, allowing me to do things I always wanted to do. The FPGA design for earlier DAC's was a hotch potch of Verilog (this is code that is used to create the digital design) and schematics with logic gates and macros. Some of the schematics were sourced from 20 years ago. So all this was re-written and tested into Verilog, over a 6 year period, and Hugo just happened to be the first product that had this major upgrade completed.

And what have I learned? That the brain/ear is capable of amazing things, and extremely small errors (errors way below the threshold of audibility) are capable of upsetting the brain's processing of sound and thus become very significant. That you can't make assumptions as to what is an audible error or not, so I find that I now do much more listening tests in a new design. But the most profound lesson has been about musicality itself. Now my design process has been about making things sound more transparent, as I felt this was the only way of making true progress. I don't try to create a particular sound; I want the sound of nothing at all, and I do this by discovering errors that have a subjective consequence, and then find a way of reducing these errors. Now my goal is to make audio sound more musical - in the same way that live un-amplified acoustic instruments sound musical. But Hugo is the first product I have designed in my 30 odd year career where the strategy of making it as transparent as possible has paid off enormously with musicality. Hugo is extremely transparent; but it has this bizarre ability to communicate about what is musically good about a recording. I find I am far less fussy about the provenance of a recording - 1930's mono recordings can sound very musical for example, whereas before I would hear what was wrong, and that would make it not listenable. With Hugo, you hear exactly what is wrong, but you also hear exactly what is right too.

So happy birthday Hugo!

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #8,582 of 15,694
I have a question on Hugo’s 4 outputs (1x phono & 3 headphones). Do they all share the same “power amp”?

I’ve tried running my multi-channel horn system 107db down to 140hz (the bass section is powered by separate amp, not Hugo) and the sound that I got was remarkable! I cannot go back to my valve amp now! What Hugo does without the amp is so close to live music(classical) is unbelievable.

I wonder whether it would be better to connect each horn channel to a separate Hugo output?

Regards

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #8,583 of 15,694
Rob, Congratulations! You've created an outstanding product. Now if you could perhaps create a more portable version of Hugo, now that's be something! 
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #8,584 of 15,694
Congratulations Rob, magnificent achievement!

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #8,585 of 15,694
  I have a question on Hugo’s 4 outputs (1x phono & 3 headphones). Do they all share the same “power amp”?

I’ve tried running my multi-channel horn system 107db down to 140hz (the bass section is powered by separate amp, not Hugo) and the sound that I got was remarkable! I cannot go back to my valve amp now! What Hugo does without the amp is so close to live music(classical) is unbelievable.

I wonder whether it would be better to connect each horn channel to a separate Hugo output?

Regards

Yes they are all tracked together on the PCB, connected to the same 1W power amp, which is the only active stage in Hugo.

I know what you mean about Hugo driving efficient loudspeakers. I have a more powerful version of Hugo under development, (20W into 8) the prototype is being built as I type. Very exciting, as this is the culmination of a 10 year project.

Rob 

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #8,587 of 15,694
Dear Rob,

Congratulations on the Hugo!  It's truly an outstanding product and I'm a very happy owner of it.  Cannot wait to get my hands on the upgraded QBD for my main system.

You've been very nice sharing your thoughts and experiences with us, even posting a detailed process of how you make your speaker cables.  Much appreciated!

May I dare to ask what you use for your mains power for the rest of your system?  As you stated numerous times on this thread the Hugo is indifferent to the mains power.  But what about the rest of your system?  For the people who use power amps, streamers, CD players, etc. could you please share what mains conditioning/filtering/extension you use in your system?

Many thanks for your feedback.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #8,588 of 15,694
I am using Jriver 20 w/ WASAPI but asio is available.
. Hi, try foobar with asio plugin and select chord Hugo asio driver as output . set the volume of foobar as 100% , switch off all gain setting in foobar. This way chord Hugo sounds cleaner and fuller than j river. I thought j river does some kind of processing with it so called 64bit engine despite showing direct connection with Hugo thru asio driver.

Oct 20, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #8,589 of 15,694

This explains a little about what the Audiophileo does to your USB audio. 

The very short of it, is that cables are basically large antenna, which suck up all the signals of the stuff around it. Anything electrical is making electrical noise. It's in your main power lines, from your cell phone, the dimmable desk lamp, etc... EMI/RFI has a pretty considerable impact on USB audio digital streams. It can impact the timing of the stream, causing timing errors - or jitter - and other technical stuff... basically it ends up introducing issues that end up as different forms of distortion in your digital bits. 

And a laptop is sort of the ultimate epicenter of noise. You've got the mother board right there with all kinds of stuff on it - you are probably connecting other USB devices to other USB ports, sharing the bus controller, not to mention you have a wifi signal beaming in and processed nearby. All this wreaks havoc on your USB signal. USB was never intended for audio. Audio is streaming. USB was meant to have a client capable of correcting any timing errors before providing a certain function, thus timing pertaining to audio is a level that USB was never made to handle. But we buy fancy gear to try and make it work right anyway. Like an Audiophileo + PurePower battery pack - which supplies clean DC power to the device, eliminating the noise in your Alternating Current line - one source of noise.  Make sense?

Thanks for your excellent explanation. 
Now I'm afraid of an EMP 
biggrin.gif

And now for an update...

After a little "research" on the internet I figured that, according to what most people say, it's better to feed the Hugo with USB cable instead of the Toslink cable.
Nevertheless, yesterday I plugged the Toslink cable to the Hugo and to the MBP, and I was playing with Audiravana plus.

Massively better - this is definitely an understated upgrade! Much, much better timing, clarity, detail resolution, involvement, bass clarity and weight.
This took me by surprise, I had expected something else - "improvements" maybe but not of this significance, order or scale. It was audible from the very first piano notes.

It was a bigger upgrade than moving from a normal MC cartridge to a super high quality one.

Performances take on a confidence and cohesiveness which is a joy to hear. The percussive bass instruments take a more prominent role in the mix and lead the rhythm, set the pace and drive in a more obvious way.
Classical instruments natural and richer in timbre. I'm liking this!  

The result is extremely better than with the iPad, which is superb in it's own right (including the Onkyo software).
Musicality is miles away from the USB - it's difficult to describe why the difference is so big. Music immediately sounds so right. 
There is not just a "sense of space", but the stripping away of so much distortion and colouration reveals whatever recorded.
big difference in refinement. Oh, Splendid!

Oct 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #8,590 of 15,694
The Chord Hugo using bluetooth is quite noisy with both the iPhone 5S and Retina Macbook Pro. It's audible when I turn the volume down. Is this normal? 

Oct 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #8,591 of 15,694

Thanks for your excellent explanation. 
Now I'm afraid of an EMP 
biggrin.gif

And now for an update...

After a little "research" on the internet I figured that, according to what most people say, it's better to feed the Hugo with USB cable instead of the Toslink cable.
Nevertheless, yesterday I plugged the Toslink cable to the Hugo and to the MBP, and I was playing with Audiravana plus.

Massively better - this is definitely an understated upgrade! Much, much better timing, clarity, detail resolution, involvement, bass clarity and weight.
This took me by surprise, I had expected something else - "improvements" maybe but not of this significance, order or scale. It was audible from the very first piano notes.

It was a bigger upgrade than moving from a normal MC cartridge to a super high quality one.

Performances take on a confidence and cohesiveness which is a joy to hear. The percussive bass instruments take a more prominent role in the mix and lead the rhythm, set the pace and drive in a more obvious way.
Classical instruments natural and richer in timbre. I'm liking this!  

The result is extremely better than with the iPad, which is superb in it's own right (including the Onkyo software).
Musicality is miles away from the USB - it's difficult to describe why the difference is so big. Music immediately sounds so right. 
There is not just a "sense of space", but the stripping away of so much distortion and colouration reveals whatever recorded.
big difference in refinement. Oh, Splendid!

hey how are you, its me who sold you my hugo?

By the way everyone, mr president is a serious serious listener and knows what he is talking about, I thought i knew about music and sound signatures but compared to him I am a such a novice. I am glad you are experimenting and I knew when I visited you and sold you the hugo that you are so much more advanced than me in music analysis and I felt ashamed because you have such a good ear to music than me.

You have a killer system, and I wish one day I have the same.

Although we both listen to different music, and I am more into music with bass, but I knew that you will love the hugo as many here said how amazing it is with classical. 

I guess now I need you to give me a trader feedback :)

Oct 20, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #8,592 of 15,694
Don't usually post on here... More of a viewer, but we now have in the tasty new Hugo in Satin Black so I created an overview video of it and the leather case. Feel free to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-24VAwQSRw

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #8,593 of 15,694
guys i know this is not the place to ask, but how can one give a trader feedback positive , to get a +1

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #8,594 of 15,694
click on their profile, make sure you are in desktop mode, you will see their feedback. Click on it, and you will have option to knave feedback. you will need the link to the thread for which the deal was made.

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #8,595 of 15,694
Yes they are all tracked together on the PCB, connected to the same 1W power amp, which is the only active stage in Hugo.

I know what you mean about Hugo driving efficient loudspeakers. I have a more powerful version of Hugo under development, (20W into 8) the prototype is being built as I type. Very exciting, as this is the culmination of a 10 year project.

Rob 

Hello Rob! Are there any dates when it will be released?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back