Chord Hugo
Aug 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #7,771 of 15,694
  I'm at a loss ... How do I connect Hugo to late 2013 MBPr? Which supplied optical do I use?  I have a micro USB cable but unclear on how to  use it.
Also ,, (dont laugh ) the optical on the Hugo .. do I remove that cap? Is that for protection for the light aperture?

Finally whats been your experience in using hugo in the car? Specifically,  late models that have USB ready connects for idevices? Sorry for the newbie questions...

Mike

For the MBP, any regular USB to micro-USB cable will do. Connect it to the micro-USB port next to the power switch. That is both high-res and the default input on the Hugo. 

To change the output of the MBP easily, go to your Sound preferences and click on "Show volume in the menu bar". 

Turn on the Hugo, then hold down the "option" key when clicking on the volume in the menu bar and choose "Hugo" from the list of options.

If you have any high-res music, you might want to get software like BitPerfect (or Audirvana, Amarra, Fidelia or something else) that will automatically change the output settings so that Mac OS X doesn't re-sample the music when sending it to the Hugo.

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #7,772 of 15,694
My speakers are 87 db @ 6ohms. They are very hard to drive. Tried with this seup, and with difficult to drive speakers I DO NOT recommend this setup. For high efficient speakers, i can see how this will work out. I am getting distortion at high to moderate volumes. Dynamics lack, too thin overall.

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #7,773 of 15,694
Is it true that the GeekOut is as good as the Hugo as DAC/amp?
one word beginning with N

Maybe not exactly the same, but they sound pretty close. The Hugo to me sounds like it has slightly better instrument layering and separation. I find the Geek Out to have better bass slam with the HE-560 (touring unit).

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #7,774 of 15,694
Hello fellow head-fi-ers,

For my desktop I am using a JDS Labs O2 + ODAC to drive a pair of Ultrasone Pro2900s.
On the go I use a pair of Sennheiser IE800s running directly from an iPhone 4S (considering downgrading to Audiofly AF140 for practicality/comfort)

I listen to mostly IDM (Trentemoller, Nosaj Thing, Four Tet, Culprate) so soundstage is important to me.

I am wondering if purchasing a Hugo would be a substantial improvement on my current setup?

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #7,775 of 15,694
Not to knock on the geek dac but you go up in 3k range, 1% of sound difference, "slightly more airy"/ slightly more better vocals etc.. prices jump 1-2k for 1% of difference. And some might disagree, but that small difference is what gives you that "ah this sounds just right" with a smile on ypur face to selling your gear for the next upgrade losing 20-30% of what you purchased it for..also its only a usb only dac, with no other inputs.. im still intrigued by it by the reviews its getting, i might just pick it up when i get into computer audio vs my spinners later down the line.

Does anyone know any stereo amp out there that is a "gem" performing far better than price to pair with Hugo? Yhanks.

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #7,776 of 15,694
Maybe not exactly the same, but they sound pretty close. The Hugo to me sounds like it has slightly better instrument layering and separation. I find the Geek Out to have better bass slam with the HE-560 (touring unit).

Really ???
I'm sure a $200 device sounds as good as the Hugo because it's made by Light Harmonics with ESS Sabre chips.
You must be sitting on your ears!

Aug 23, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #7,779 of 15,694
Hello fellow head-fi-ers,

For my desktop I am using a JDS Labs O2 + ODAC to drive a pair of Ultrasone Pro2900s.
On the go I use a pair of Sennheiser IE800s running directly from an iPhone 4S (considering downgrading to Audiofly AF140 for practicality/comfort)

I listen to mostly IDM (Trentemoller, Nosaj Thing, Four Tet, Culprate) so soundstage is important to me.

I am wondering if purchasing a Hugo would be a substantial improvement on my current setup?

If soundstage is the only thing you're worried about, the two are presented differently in that regard. I always found the ODAC/O2 to have a wide soundstage, but not much instrument layering and depth. The Hugo seems to provide that with a slightly smaller size in width; the Hugo sounds more rounded to me. i.e. you can imagine the Hugo as being the 10th row seat in a concert hall, whereas the ODAC/O2 is more in the first row, you don't get much of the echo and reflections from the hallway.

It's hard to quantify "substantial," but I would say the Hugo is a step up in sound quality overall compared to the Objecitve combo. I personally haven't heard the headphones/earphones that you own, so I can't say if the difference is big for those.

Aug 23, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #7,780 of 15,694
  I'm at a loss ... How do I connect Hugo to late 2013 MBPr? Which supplied optical do I use?  I have a micro USB cable but unclear on how to  use it.
Also ,, (dont laugh ) the optical on the Hugo .. do I remove that cap? Is that for protection for the light aperture?

Finally whats been your experience in using hugo in the car? Specifically,  late models that have USB ready connects for idevices? Sorry for the newbie questions...

Mike

If you want to use the optical connection, you will need an adapter - you will then be able to plug the Toslink connector into the headphone out on your MBP. It sounds weird but makes a whole lot of sense when you see the adapter.

This one jerky vid but he covers the basics - dont forget to go into System Preferences after you've connected the optical connector to the Hugo and the adapter end into the headphone out on your MBP, and take your time with the input selectors on the Hugo. My experience is that I sometimes have to cycle through every input a couple of times before it locks onto the digital optical signal from the toslink cable. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h9HACan-s8

Aug 23, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #7,783 of 15,694
Thanks for your response miceblue

I've done a bit of testing with the equipment I have, and in my humble opinion I think that the iPhone 4S internal DAC sounds better than the JDS Labs O2 + ODAC (surprisingly).
Also the Sennheiser IE800s are much better than the Ultrasone Pro2900s. If only they offered tips that stay in my ear :frowning2:
I'm probably going sell the O2+ODAC and the Ultrasone Pro2900s to partially fund the Chord Hugo. Apparently (and hopefully) the Hugo and the IE800s are a match made in heaven so the IE800s can become my all-round listening device.

PM me if interested in either the O2+ODAC or the Ultrasone Pro2900.

Cheers

Aug 23, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #7,784 of 15,694
No idea why this is being made so complicated

Mike

On Macs the headphone port doubles as optical output. So you need an optical cable that is 3.5mm on one end. Simples. Or buy a 3.5mm optical adaptor to attach to existing cable. And yes the removable plastic cap is just that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back