Chord Hugo
Jul 12, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #6,437 of 15,694
Bassheads don't need expensive equipment to get what you want. Most, if not, all Beats headphones are pretty heavy in the bass that it over shadows everything else. Could get the studios Beats and pair it with nothing. They have a heavy bass and a muddy mid-hi signature right off any phones.

I personally don't listen to rap songs, but when i tried to listen to some jay cool or little wayne albums, it sounds terrible with the k812 and hd800 because it doesnt have the heavy bass most bassheads crave for.

Back on topic, just received my WA7tp PSU and will post impression against and paired with the Hugo.

first impressions so far with just the wa7+wa7tp sounds pretty amazing

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #6,438 of 15,694
Chord should seriously consider teaming up with Sanrio to release Limited Edition of Hugo with Hello Kitty printed on the chassis + leather case, just like Sony releasing Walkman models with Mickey Mouse and Neon Genesis Evangelion etc. Sales will skyrocket and converting music lovers into true audiophile.

[rule]
Speaking of Walkman, I might get in touch with Paul Pang and find out if a very short WM-PORT to micro USB OTG cable were feasible or not.

I just asked him for short right angled connector for portable use. I wouldn't think em-port would be issue unless it is copyrighted or connector unavailable.

As for hello kitty, sorry chord isn't close to being big time enough for hello kitty to even answer their call. Plus we aren't 7.

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #6,439 of 15,694
Just received a mono price 1.5 ft. micro USB cable and I swear I'm hearing a big difference between the mono price $1 cable and the stock 1ft. Chinglung cable provided.  Far more stage, bigger better detail on bass to highs.  Humm, I'll have to have a shoot out with all three when I get the 1 ft. silver from Moon Audio $140.
PC (JRiver) => Hugo => LCD-X

Definitely a big difference in sound.  Get rid of that stock USB micro chord you receive with your Hugo, it's terrible.
This is the Mono price one I got.  Note: It does have a ferrite core on it.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=8639&seq=1&format=2

Jul 13, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #6,440 of 15,694
Interesting. If I have a chance and Anakchan still has his CLAS db I'll see if I can't compare. I wouldn't be surprised if it has a better quality S/PDIF output. My Audiophilleo is definitely better-sounding than everything else as

That may give me some indication as to how Hugo compares with my Rx3B+/CLASdB stack

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #6,441 of 15,694
On a similar topic, is it possible to use CLAS -R as an usb-spdif converter for ipod touch (current one with lightning)? What kinda cable do i need to buy? Would it support highres?

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #6,443 of 15,694
  Just received a mono price 1.5 ft. micro USB cable and I swear I'm hearing a big difference between the mono price $1 cable and the stock 1ft. Chinglung cable provided.  Far more stage, bigger better detail on bass to highs.  Humm, I'll have to have a shoot out with all three when I get the 1 ft. silver from Moon Audio $140.
PC (JRiver) => Hugo => LCD-X

Definitely a big difference in sound.  Get rid of that stock USB micro chord you receive with your Hugo, it's terrible.
This is the Mono price one I got.  Note: It does have a ferrite core on it.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=8639&seq=1&format=2

I cant wait until u get the moon cable which is expensive and how it compares to a 1$ cable, I hope we can a great feedback

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #6,444 of 15,694

No apt-x but bluetooth could be fine?

They already conquered both Samsung and Apple, the audiophile market should be their next logical step.

WnT6zKI.jpg
fguAkJX.jpg

The thing is, we don't really know whether Paul would have access to F880 series / ZX1 or not. Let's see how that could be arranged then.

I don't understand this Hello Kitty madness. There are 3 Hello Kitty cafe/restaurants on the street I live. They closed a Pinkberry store and opened a Hello Kitty.

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #6,445 of 15,694
  I love the hugo so much, but my match using audeze LCD rev2 is not the ultimate to my liking, and I just figured I am a basshead as I keep pulling the sms by 50 cent headphones to feel the bass punch.

So which is the best basshead headphone that works with chord hugo, and I mean literally basshead headphones but better than sms by 50 cent, to have a wide soundstage, warm, and not shouty as I have and really hate irritaing highs and mids

Try the TH900 Fostex. Hard hitting bass, can be driven loud by Hugo and still have "flagship" accuracy. While they are not quite as good as my Stax 007 system; using the two in the same sentence is in itself a testament to the TH900, as the Stax phones are $2K + dedicated amp. I much preferred these to the HD800 because of the bass and efficiency.

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #6,446 of 15,694
  Latest pairing: Hugo and HE560-- superb results. 
So far, the Hugo is tops with these phones imho: Fostex TH900, Oppo PM-1, Hifiman HE560.
And high honorable mention to my Grado GS1000i.

Could you compare the Fostex to the HE560 please and perhaps the Oppo? The 560's are the only high end phone I haven't tried; and they are supposed to be lighter than the other planar magnetics.

Jul 13, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #6,447 of 15,694
  I never heard the newer Audezes. I would go with the TH900 instead. I would def. try'em both with return privileges (well worth the shipping or restocking cost for long term satisfaction and lack of buyers remorse).
Somehow, the Hugo brought the Fostex to a new level, better than even more expensive setups. Some kind of synergy going on there. The slightly recessed mids are brought to the front plane, and the evenhandedness of
the Hugo tames the highs and mid bass of the TH900 to generate a very balanced musical sound: relaxing, dynamic, slam and transparent deep bass when needed and silky friendly not overdone highs. 
I would call it the best pairing for the Hugo.

+ 1 on the TH900. I did compare my Hugo with them and Audeze X and LCD 3. All three good. TH900 better bass (more fun). I find all Audeze just too heavy for extended listening, but that's me. My only quest now is to better Hugo's internal amp with the Fostex (not easily accomplished and perhaps a waste of energy). I lost an auction for some Eddie Current stuff that might be nice, but those amps are more money than the Hugo itself and not portable. So, AK100 or 120 (or the Sony Walkman as a transport as other people have tried) + TH900 = good optical cable + DSD or good Redbook= you are done. Don't think you need the AK240 unless you have IEMs and need better portability than the Hugo size, or you just want the best as far as interface/looks. If Astel & Kern/Iriver came out with a $999 transport only like the AK 240 with coax out also, they'd probably sell one to every Hugo owner.

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #6,448 of 15,694
  If Astel & Kern/Iriver came out with a $999 transport only like the AK 240 with coax out also, they'd probably sell one to every Hugo owner.

I definitely wouldn't pay $999 for a A&K transport... what's the point when the likes of FiiO, Sony, iBasso & a whole rake of new DAP's hitting the market in the next few months, see link:-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/720512/obscure-chinese-daps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back