Chord Hugo
Jul 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #6,168 of 15,694
That is the one thing that bothers me of this thread saying its a giant killer. ITs clearly better than any mobile I have ever heard and I am sure it's better than most desktop combo,s made in the past two years or older. But we really should be focusing on the device as is and not the comaprrisons. We have all,spent very good money on this product and as such it shroud perform very good and it does. It plays perfect for what it is. Heck if you want an example of how good it is . As much as I love the hdvd800. It is much better than it is. And I payed two k for it. It may not be a better amp for me but as a combo the hugo is far better in everywAy. But the point still,is there is better and as such lets keep posting ways to enjoy it , and thanks for trying to help out and put some fires out on revisions but for me it does not matter . Again look at the hdvd600 and 800. They are the same amp but not to all and it will die that way as people will always find a reason to beleave the insane over sanity. And the same goes for the hd800 serial number . I have pesonelly listened to three different SER numbers 10 k apart for weeks . Nothing to,report to my old ears. And It it continues to swirl about anyway.
What ever they changed I am sure it was to our good .
Thanks ok guy
al

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #6,171 of 15,694
That is the one thing that bothers me of this thread saying its a giant killer. ITs clearly better than any mobile I have ever heard and I am sure it's better than most desktop combo,s made in the past two years or older. But we really should be focusing on the device as is and not the comaprrisons. We have all,spent very good money on this product and as such it shroud perform very good and it does. It plays perfect for what it is. Heck if you want an example of how good it is . As much as I love the hdvd800. It is much better than it is. And I payed two k for it. It may not be a better amp for me but as a combo the hugo is far better in everywAy. But the point still,is there is better and as such lets keep posting ways to enjoy it , and thanks for trying to help out and put some fires out on revisions but for me it does not matter . Again look at the hdvd600 and 800. They are the same amp but not to all and it will die that way as people will always find a reason to beleave the insane over sanity. And the same goes for the hd800 serial number . I have pesonelly listened to three different SER numbers 10 k apart for weeks . Nothing to,report to my old ears. And It it continues to swirl about anyway.
What ever they changed I am sure it was to our good .
Thanks ok guy
al

I agree. As much as I love Hugo with headphones, I prefer the sound signature of Meridian 808.5 with full size speakers. I mean that actually says that Hugo is very good in many aspects considering 808.5's price.

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #6,172 of 15,694
I have the MK2 and it's a giant killer!!!  No naims taken.
wink_face.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #6,175 of 15,694
Recently, I had the pleasure of listening to some classical recording through a pair Yamaha HS-10 speakers, Shure MDR-7506 headphones with the new Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo professional interface. Do you think the DAc in the Chord Hugo is better with giving the clarity and feeling then the dac in the Apollo Twin duo? Do you think the dac in the apollo is better then the dac in the AK-240 player? If I'm listening to classical music from a enjoying feeling but analytical feeling, Do you think it neccesary to get the chord hugo to play classial wav files of artist such as Luciano Pavarotti, Joan Sutherland. would the chord hugo show more technique then the dac in the Apollo twin duo? What you opinion?

Lastly, IF I get the Chord Hugo, would it makes since to get the meridian prime . which sound the best in terms of accuracy and presence and showing microscopic detail of the singer ( not so the recording)?

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #6,176 of 15,694
Recently, I had the pleasure of listening to some classical recording through a pair Yamaha HS-10 speakers, Shure MDR-7506 headphones with the new Universal Audio Apollo Twin Duo professional interface. Do you think the DAc in the Chord Hugo is better with giving the clarity and feeling then the dac in the Apollo Twin duo? Do you think the dac in the apollo is better then the dac in the AK-240 player? If I'm listening to classical music from a enjoying feeling but analytical feeling, Do you think it neccesary to get the chord hugo to play classial wav files of artist such as Luciano Pavarotti, Joan Sutherland. would the chord hugo show more technique then the dac in the Apollo twin duo? What you opinion?

Lastly, IF I get the Chord Hugo, would it makes since to get the meridian prime . which sound the best in terms of accuracy and presence and showing microscopic detail of the singer ( not so the recording)?

Allow me to turn this around a bit. If the chord was 30k and not about 2500 in USA. Would you go by a bunch a strangers in your purchase. I would think no so find a way to audition it it the way you intend to use it. And make the decision yourself. However if you need help learning how it's used. Or kind of files it plays best and so on. You are in the best place. So buy one and we can talk.
Hope this clears thigs up and helps
Al

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #6,177 of 15,694
I have only heard the AK240 and it is not in the same league of Hugo in SQ department. A little too lean to make it musical...

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #6,178 of 15,694
The ak240 is below the chord . It's just as clear and detailed and also dynamic. What it does lack in a big way is the relaxing presentation and realism that the chord has like other good dacs. Now this is not important to everyone. Some do not hear it as important as others or me. I had the ak240 it's really nice in everyday but the type of sound. As the hugo is just a DAC and not a dap and as such it's not complete this must be counted for in very big way. For me it was easy and for to there who know the sound of better dacs it's easy too. But it's not for everyone. Plenty of people love many other dacs
Al

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #6,179 of 15,694
The ak240 is below the chord . It's just as clear and detailed and also dynamic. What it does lack in a big way is the relaxing presentation and realism that the chord has like other good dacs. Now this is not important to everyone. Some do not hear it as important as others or me. I had the ak240 it's really nice in everyday but the type of sound. As the hugo is just a DAC and not a dap and as such it's not complete this must be counted for in very big way. For me it was easy and for to there who know the sound of better dacs it's easy too. But it's not for everyone. Plenty of people love many other dacs
Al

I'm not sure the ak240 and hugo should be compared for the reason al mentioned, dap vs dac/amp. For me it would be more a matter of need. If I need true portable (eg. For gym/running) the hugo doesn't meet my needs, rubber bands or fancy cases aside. While I do think hugo has better sound than ak240, it wouldn't be so good as to make me use hugo+whatever transport as portable device. Now on the other hand, if it just need my music to be transportable, the hugo is where it is at. Even with higher price of hugo+transport/dap, it is preferable over ak240 for me. On the other hand, if I didn't care about weight/awkwardness etc., I would take my kgsshv+sr009+lamp l5+string of car batteries with me for music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back