Chord Hugo
Jun 24, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #5,566 of 15,694
Hello people,
I'm using the Hugo with an iPhone 5 and transport via the CCK - what USB cable are you using? (A to micro B cable).
Is it a generic one? An Audiophile one? Does it even impact the sound as it's all digital?

Thanks!

I bought a bunch of cheap micro usb cables and compare with the stock one then I choose the one that sounds the best. In Hong Kong, there are many short microusb cables that are marketed for extra fast charging and sold cheap.these cables are made for andorid phones as their battery life can be short. Eventually, i will buy a silvrr dragon one from moon audio. Becos i bought 3 interconnect or headphones cables from them and all sound great

Jun 24, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #5,567 of 15,694
I agree wholeheartedly, but I would - I've been using USB audio from my Android for about two years now and for my use makes much more sense than getting a DAP. Granted my portable DAC/amps have not been in the same league as the Hugo of course, which of course now has me mulling over the Hugo as an option. The only caveat is that it *must* be able to be my desktop DAC too, and it's probably going up against the Master 7 there, and from what I'm reading the M7 is probably the better pairing for my HE-6 (the only headphone pairing I care about, and probably my only desktop headphone soon as I just never want to listen to my HD800 when I could be listening to the 6).

FWIW I'm using a 256gb SD card with my Note 3 via an SD-microSD adapter (and requisite case mod), so suffice to say I'm happy enough with my storage situation as far as my portable source goes.

OK, I hear you NZ, but then take a look at the consensus about neutrality. The HUGO appears to work very well with a large selection of top head gear. That means it is neutral (more or less) and requires no matching, one to the other. If you take a rather hotter-sounding headphone and a softer sounding DAC, you may be matching colorations - one to suit the other's shortcomings. In my view that's not the best path possible for coherent detail retrieval and soundstaging as one may affect the other. So you may want to reconsider your choice of headgear and at least take a long listen - I mean days, weeks to the alternatives presented here - and then make up your mind with properly-matched gear that requires no matching. :)

I want to make sure you all understand that I am no HUGO Fanboy all the way. Hardly. There are issues, I could improve its packaging, durability, construction and connection scheme a great deal, but I have little issue with its sound however, and that last is a rarity for me having grown up from the crib with music all around me every day, playing music and writing about it for decades. It is rare for me to give so much attention to any product, that is how revolutionary this one happens to be. It took me by surprise. All of us who have lived with it understand whereof I speak. Make no mistake, it's construction is good relative to others, but in this price class I could have made it bulletproof at little cost.

So far I'm also happy with the  white 4-5" USB Chord includes in the package (though black would have been a better choice), I ordered another pair just in case I lose one; and too, the USB Audio Player PRO Android app with the caveat I had repeated: A MAC with Fidelia's FHX  is significantly more transparent, detailed yet smoother, has substantially greater air and better dimensionality. As good as the HUGO may be with a DAP/phone, there's a whole 'nother level to be achieved when it is used as a desktop..

In fact I could in good conscience easily recommend desktop DAC users to go for the HuGo and save a lot of gelt in the bargain.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gelt

Yes, we, many Americans speak three languages, English that cannot be understood by any other English-speaking people but Americans, Spanish of a Southern sort coming out of Mexifornia, formerly a western state we used to call California, and Yiddish, a dead language being revived and which is universal and has a deeper meaning than any other language.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is that matching deals ONLY with tonal color. It will likely screw up soundspacing, dimensionality, layering and focus. These are inevitable as you are adding distortions and phase shifts into the mix. The ONLY matching me thinks you need with the HUGO are the headsets you like.

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #5,568 of 15,694
A question for Rob

When playing 16/44 FLAC files, would I get lower SQ if using non-HD USB ports? The reason I am asking is that I just bought an USB isolator and it does not work with the HDUSB port. Thanks. I will test with or without USB isolator to detect any sonic differences...

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #5,569 of 15,694
SD sound quality is fine, there is no loss in performance in spite of it not being isochronous, Hugo's jitter elimination works fine.

Oddly, my isolator turned up an hour ago, just going to listen soon on the SD input. Let me know how yours sounds,

Rob

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #5,571 of 15,694
  SD sound quality is fine, there is no loss in performance in spite of it not being isochronous, Hugo's jitter elimination works fine.

Oddly, my isolator turned up an hour ago, just going to listen soon on the SD input. Let me know how yours sounds,

Rob

Thanks, Rob. I bought this one http://www.firestone-audio.eu/shop/products/allproductslisted/greenkey.php , the only one I can find in Hong Kong in store... I managed to get it working with ipod touch... I can hear better depth with this by using an isolator

will need to A/B a bit more using HD800 without an additional amp

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #5,572 of 15,694
You have two excellent products that aren't quite as excellent when used together, at least without another excellent product in between them. :)
It goes to show how important system matching is. I would recommend selling neither and getting a decent amp, but I don't know how you use them so that might not be practical.

A decent amp elevates the HD800 above 'hi-fi', 'analytical', 'sterile' or similar comments and makes them sound natural and effortless. I don't find them any less detailed or transparent that way, because although they lose the focus on the upper midrange and treble - 'obvious' detail - they illuminate the whole frequency range equally and allow me to explore my music in a much more balanced way. When I'm not just sitting back and enjoying the music that is.

Sorry to disagree. All an external amp will do is to mask the sins of the others.

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #5,573 of 15,694

Thanks, Rob. I bought this one http://www.firestone-audio.eu/shop/products/allproductslisted/greenkey.php , the only one I can find in Hong Kong in store... I managed to get it working with ipod touch... I can hear better depth with this by using an isolator

will need to A/B a bit more using HD800 without an additional amp

I don't understand how this can impact the sound of the Hugo.  According to the description, 

Since the very beginning of PC based audio, the noise from the power lines has effected the data integrity creating problems with the timing of the digital signal, known as jitter. With the growing popularity of digital music via the humble PC, jitter has become the primary source of 'digititus', and the GreenKey will help reduce that interference substantially by isolating the power from the connection to the DAC

But since the Hugo is supposed to be immune to jitter, how can this help?

Jun 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #5,574 of 15,694
Sorry to disagree. All an external amp will do is to mask the sins of the others.

Amplifier/speaker matching is all about synergy and that's just as true with headphones. Just because the Hugo has an amp section doesn't mean it's necessarily the best amplifier to drive every headphone. What I'd really like is a modded Hugo with a car battery driving a beefed up output stage but using the same basic configuration. I can dream...

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #5,576 of 15,694
Best hugo pairing so far are a Fostex TH900 and Oppo PM-1. Amps used: first a Headroom Max, now a Rudistor RP010B.
(AQ diamond usb cable in the mix, + a Shunyata Anaconda Alpha power cable on the amp... sounds great top to bottom... truly high end sound)

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #5,577 of 15,694
  Hugo with Sennheiser Momentum is crazy good. They match together well. Better than Hugo-HD650 I'd say.

I agree with you on the Momentums.  I was ready to give up on them - found them to be too muddy in the low end, too recessed in the mids and too rolled off in the highs.  But the Hugo complements them well.  Think I'll be keeping them now for portable use.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #5,578 of 15,694
Not sure if anyone else saw the question I posed to OK-Guy a few pages back, but I would be thrilled if someone could give me details of the cabling etc I need to hook my Hugo up to my Sony ZX1. I tried an adapter with the stock WM-Port data transfer cable but it didnt work - the Sony just played music from its tiny onboard speaker. Thanks in anticipation. 

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #5,579 of 15,694

I agree with you on the Momentums.  I was ready to give up on them - found them to be too muddy in the low end, too recessed in the mids and too rolled off in the highs.  But the Hugo complements them well.  Think I'll be keeping them now for portable use.

The same. I put them up for sale because they performed badly with Meridian Explorer. Turns out it was Explorer's fault all along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back