Chord Hugo
Jun 13, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #4,802 of 15,694
Just stay happy you just a good amount of money. Let's get some sounds going and this will make you smile.
The feet can be bought at Home Depot or most hardware stores.
Let me make you really happy go to acoustic sounds and download something dsd . There stuff is really good .
I can also reccomend opus 3 no 3 dsd 128 downloads as well.
How are you planing on using it ??
Al
In my bedside rig(s), which will be either SA-31 + HE-560 or Lavardin IS Reference + HE-6.

I will mod the HE-6 in the near future (grilling sure, probably fuzzor mod too).

It's replacing my SA-2 + Offramp 5. The M7 was on my list, so was the Metrum HEX but I figured the Hugo would be much easier to sell, shall I not like the sound - which is very unlikely considering I loved the quteHD-.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #4,803 of 15,694
Not sure how others who were engaging and sharing earlier in this thread felt but I am really annoyed but this incessantly beating the incinerated dinosaur dialog that just dominated a previously informative and enjoyable thread for the past few days.

Not gonna side with any arguments, my experience is that Hugo render music beautifully without much, if even any, colorations. It is highly resolving AND very musical at the same time, and is exactly what I had ever wanted to achieve by a DAC.

/end rant

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #4,804 of 15,694
Not sure how others who were engaging and sharing earlier in this thread felt but I am really annoyed but this incessantly beating the incinerated dinosaur dialog that just dominated a previously informative and enjoyable thread for the past few days.

Not gonna side with any arguments, my experience is that Hugo render music beautifully without much, if even any, colorations. It is highly resolving AND very musical at the same time, and is exactly what I had ever wanted to achieve by a DAC.

/end rant

Agreed on all points and thank you for contribution to the Astell&Kern, er, Chord Hugo thread ! 

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #4,805 of 15,694
I am not sure if its just personal sound preference or my TH900 not broken in....i find the Hugo and TH900 pairing a bit boring and not engaging enough...whereas I love the HD800 pairing, filling in so much detail in a wide stage with good dynamic whereas th900 put me to sleep....

My TH900's sounded "ehh" until they broke in. Now they are simply wonderful. (Maybe the Hugo also broke in a the same time)... Much better than the Hugo HD 800 I tried at the Chicago show...but then again, my Hugo was almost right out of the box and not broken in.

Jun 14, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #4,806 of 15,694
Contrere to what some are saying the Hugo is not bright at all. It's just not tonally accurate as most other dacs are.
I use EQ with my CIEMS. Especially the Roxanne's they need a upper boost and plenty of it. They are on the dark side of neutral .
Al

I find this statement amusing, but curious.  If the Hugo was not "tonally accurate as most other dacs", which it is not, but I'll play along, what flaw in the design of the Hugo would allow for this?

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #4,807 of 15,694
Most dacs like what dacs..? From what I know most solid state dacs are tonally around the same.. tube dacs around the same. But they sound different from eachother.

I can imagine it if you say it sounds hybrid but that would fall under neutral or warm side noy bright.

I think ted b is a musician and even he couldnt notice tonal emphasis.

Still cant decide..

I might just go w/ Big 7 which I can get for 7800 delivered and skip preamp but just get built on volume control on lampi big 7.

I gave up on DS reading user reviews on ps audio forum.

Jun 14, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #4,808 of 15,694
In my bedside rig(s), which will be either SA-31 + HE-560 or Lavardin IS Reference + HE-6.

I will mod the HE-6 in the near future (grilling sure, probably fuzzor mod too).

It's replacing my SA-2 + Offramp 5. The M7 was on my list, so was the Metrum HEX but I figured the Hugo would be much easier to sell, shall I not like the sound - which is very unlikely considering I loved the quteHD-.

Very cool stuff. The m7 is warm , thick and heavy bass comaoreed to the Hugo. Having both info refuse the Hugo as it's sound is just way more refined .enjoy I never did any mods to any headphones so I can account for anything there . Gotta love the he. 6 for sure with the Hugo.
Enjoy .
One last thing report back about the offramp please. Let us know what it does , but wait a few days as to get to know the Hugo first.
Al

Jun 14, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #4,809 of 15,694
I should have my lampi soon as it has been delayed a few times so far. But that is fine I want it right when it gets here. Where did you read about the direct stream in a bad light.
I have mine at about 800 hours it's really good. It's very much like a Hugo but a level or two above it . And the tone is correct. The level 7 I am hoping with dsd is like my MSB stack . Ps audio does a 30 return as well. If you own Hugo you would very much like a DS .
Al

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #4,810 of 15,694
Contrere to what some are saying the Hugo is not bright at all. It's just not tonally accurate as most other dacs are.
I use EQ with my CIEMS. Especially the Roxanne's they need a upper boost and plenty of it. They are on the dark side of neutral .
Al
not tonally accurate like other DACs What nonsense, you can't go making statements like that which are patently untrue implying these, which are only your opinions after-all, are facts.

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #4,811 of 15,694
Most dacs like what dacs..? From what I know most solid state dacs are tonally around the same.. tube dacs around the same. But they sound different from eachother.

I can imagine it if you say it sounds hybrid but that would fall under neutral or warm side noy bright.

I think ted b is a musician and even he couldnt notice tonal emphasis.

Still cant decide..

I might just go w/ Big 7 which I can get for 7800 delivered and skip preamp but just get built on volume control on lampi big 7.

I gave up on DS reading user reviews on ps audio forum.

I wouldn't listen too much to critical voices (or to those who are praising a product). I would listen to the products myself after some research. And it sounds like you have done some?

If you can afford a $7800 device it may not be so important for you.. but if you tried them all and found i.e. the DS to be more of your liking.. you could save some money and spend them on something else. Audio equipment or other things that could raise your level of enjoyment in life.. and for the price difference you could have a Hugo and enjoy top flight audio bliss when out and about also.. something to think about?

What do you want my friend? Be happy with your own desicions or listen to others and hope that you are going to be happy? :wink:

(I do of corse listen to others too.. and I usually collect a lot of information if I want a TOTL device.. pros and cons and try to separate what is relevant information.. and relevant to me.. sometimes people have stated that they love a product you hate.. and / or hated something you liked.. their statements may not be accurate to your taste.. so you should look into statements back in time, to "get to know them".. anyhow.. thats how I do it to narrow it down.. and I opt for listening test before I decide.. but sometimes I do a leap of faith.. I did that with the Hugo, and I'm glad I did.. but I'm not sure I would have done that with a $7800 device though..)

Jun 14, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #4,812 of 15,694
Al

Al... honest mate get your ears syringed does wonders for the higher frequencies, I am recent benefactor of such a procedure, see it as a quick £5k sound upgrade for free, hold on you're in USA you so gotta pay, bummer.

I have it on good authority that the Roxanne maybe not the best pairing for the Hugo you might read about this later... I spoke to Phil.W earlier about headphones and he knows I'm fussy, well I have been a Customer for 25+ years (Hi-Fi), Phil is recommending I go for the Shure SE846 as he reckons it's a bargain despite its price, I'm tempted but I'd love a listen some FitEars not much chance on the latter.

ps for all... I'll be listing some gear 'for sale' in the next few days one of my Walkman's will be up for grabs (F887/ZX1), they pair exactly the same with the Hugo, just got to figure which to keep... pre-advert over.

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #4,813 of 15,694
The Roxanne's are very dynamic about the best I have heard Ina CIEM. However they are a bit rolled of on the high end and even if you eq them they still are a bit flat. The fitear line as I have them too are not much different in not being neutral they are a little mid recessed. The one concern and no one talks about is the fact that any IEM or CIEM is not as complete as a good headphone. it does not portrey the music in its real state .
the standing is iems, headphones and speakers. as most here will say no they are all are good , this tells me most here do not listen to all 3 types. this is not a bad thing but proves the point . regarding cleaning my ears they are clean maybe thats why i hear what most dont. i am not going to try and fix who or what gets said here . but i would like people to atleast try what i ask to show my point . what mostly happens is dasiling posting pointing to statments i did not make .
so all is very well on the front sir.
al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back