Chord Hugo
May 25, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #3,469 of 15,694
As previously noted Oppo players conform to the record label's guidelines and mostly only send high resolution audio out of the HDMI port. 
But some people have successfully gotten high resolution PCM from shiny disks in Oppo players. Older DVD-A disks that have high resolution stereo tracks will play out full resolution through the coax port. I've found that it's much easier to rip the files than battle the consumer electronics copy protection in hardware.
DVD Audio Extractor works with some Blu-Rays but doesn't work with others. I've only used the Mac version, YMMV. For Neil Young's work, the DVD-A of Harvest is easy to rip with DVD Audio Extractor. Or we can just wait until the Pono Store opens in October (and of course pay one more time for music that we already own!). 
If you're dead set on a hardware solution there was a discussion on avsforum about which hdmi/spdif audio splitters work with Oppo players. I tried the Kanex pro and got 88.2/16bit from SACD's out of my Oppo. I've read that others work at full 24 bits.  
Searching 'hdmi audio splitter spdif' on amazon give you a lot of things to try. 
On www.meridianunplugged.com there is also a lot of discussion on getting HDMI>Spdif. Several outboard boxes and mods to Oppo players have been successfully employed to send high resolution multichannel PCM to Meridian theater systems that use coax connections. I used an Octava brand HDMI switch that was modded by a guy named Shawn Fogg. It gave 6 channels of PCM through 3x SPDIF cables and was high resolution, even from copy protected disks like yours. He appears to be out of that business but somebody may still have one of his units. Others had luck with something called a 'Clux'. All that died down once Meridian came up with their own solution. Unfortunately there is some kind of encryption called MHR on that device. It also costs more than an oppo player. Check out the wiki
http://www.meridianunplugged.com/wiki/index.php?title=HDMI_Solutions
My Sean Fogg Octava eventually died, I may have tossed it but it may be in my spare parts bin. I could possibly dig it out. The daughter card could probably be rescued and soldered into a new unit if one were very handy with these things. It may have been as simple as a dead wall wart. 
My advice is to rip or search for torrents from people who have successfully ripped. You paid for the music and you should be able to listen to it. I really can't imagine getting prosecuted for downloading something you already own. 

May 25, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #3,470 of 15,694
I've done many HDMI de-embedders (Atlona, Monoprice,etc) and have a full thread (sticky in my HiRez Music Circle on AC) I started 4 years ago with reviews of them, since at the time it was the only consumer way of pulling anything greater than redbook off of SACDS (this was prior to my SACD Ripping guide days).   It worked for DVD-A and BluRay audio, too...most easily 2 channel.  But it was still a cheap non-optimized solution.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.0

It's much easier (and better sq) to simply rip DVD-Audio (whether LPCM or PPCM) via DVD-Audio Extractor or DVDA_Explorer.  The former has updated Windows and MAC licenses that work just fine.  The latter is often hard to find. 

My many DVD-A rips on Hugo each sound sublime. 

Hmmm....I have hundreds of multichannel rips too...can you say stacked Hugos?  !!  :)  Would be interesting to go up against my exaSound E28 or stacked Myteks. 

May 25, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #3,471 of 15,694
Hey Folks,
I just ordered the Seagate Wireless Plus 2TB for use with my iPad2 and iPhone5 and the Hugo (first version).  My music is mostly 88.2/24 flac files from SACD's, but also rips from DVD-A, Vinyl, and CD, as well as HDTracks and iTunes purchases.
I've A/B a few albums DSD vs highres flac, and I'm not sure the difference is worth a great deal of hassle or going without tags or album art. Korg Audiogate seems to have done a good enough job of converting.
I've searched the forums and haven't found a concise guide for setting it all up. I've confirmed that the Onkyo Player will play DSD that is stored on my iPad via the CCK.
I bought the pro version of 8Player. I was not sure that I needed the pro version, but I'm happy to support a developer who is working in our area. Without the Seagate I'm not seeing any music to play with it. 
Of course I'd like the best music playback, but I'd also like a decent user interface, and the fewest number of wires and batteries to charge. My iPad is getting old and doesn't hold a battery charge the way it used to. So I'm not totally against replacing it. Best case would be Seagate>iPhone5>CCK>USB cable>Hugo. 
Thanks in advance...

May 25, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #3,472 of 15,694
  I've done many HDMI de-embedders (Atlona, Monoprice,etc) and have a full thread (sticky in my HiRez Music Circle on AC) I started 4 years ago with reviews of them, since at the time it was the only consumer way of pulling anything greater than redbook off of SACDS (this was prior to my SACD Ripping guide days).   It worked for DVD-A and BluRay audio, too...most easily 2 channel.  But it was still a cheap non-optimized solution.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.0

It's much easier (and better sq) to simply rip DVD-Audio (whether LPCM or PPCM) via DVD-Audio Extractor or DVDA_Explorer.  The former has updated Windows and MAC licenses that work just fine.  The latter is often hard to find. 

My many DVD-A rips on Hugo each sound sublime. 

Hmmm....I have hundreds of multichannel rips too...can you say stacked Hugos?  !!  :)  Would be interesting to go up against my exaSound E28 or stacked Myteks. 

Wow, that's a long thread. I think I'll have a look through it tomorrow. The Kanex Pro seems an interesting device and at $56 on Amazon at the moment is very reasonably priced. Ideally it would be great if I could have all my disks ripped properly but maybe this is the next best solution? Are you using one of the old PS3s to extract DSD from your SACDs?

May 25, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #3,473 of 15,694
Yes, I am the one who wrote the guide 
SACD Ripping Primer Ver 4.0 is available here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/SACD%20ripper%20primer%20v4.0.pdf

or at the last entry of our DSD database here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0

May 25, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #3,474 of 15,694
UK joke - what has the Hugo and UKIP got in common?

they both know how to slay the competition...
tongue_smile.gif

May 26, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #3,475 of 15,694
UK joke - what has the Hugo and UKIP got in common?

they both know how to slay the competition... :tongue_smile:
What's the chord Hugo and my Mrs got in common? they both cost a small fortune
What's the difference between the chord Hugo and my Mrs,one has a on- off switch and the other doesn't.Think I'll stick to my day job i ain't no comedian

May 26, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #3,477 of 15,694
  Yes, I am the one who wrote the guide 
SACD Ripping Primer Ver 4.0 is available here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3487125/SACD%20ripper%20primer%20v4.0.pdf

or at the last entry of our DSD database here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0

Thanks for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back