Chord Hugo
May 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #3,451 of 15,694
Rob did say his DACs all about transparency and an amp will only be because you prefer particular colour

Being head-fi it is just as much about being gear driven as well as music driven. Can understand if you invested in amps you want to use it

May 24, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #3,452 of 15,694
I find the amp section of the Hugo to be every bit as good as the dac section. Very, very transparent and it drives my HE 560's with ease offering a large and dynamic soundstage. I don't have any amplifier that is anymore transparent at this time. For me, the dac and amp implementation are superb. 

May 24, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #3,454 of 15,694
Been listening to the Hugo quite a bit lately with the ak240 and the LCD X. What a terrific combination. I would venture to say that it ranks up there any system I have heard regardless of price. The  Hugo is stellar. One of thevery best DACs I have heard. I am hearing detail I never know was there in some recordings. 

May 25, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #3,455 of 15,694
  I find the amp section of the Hugo to be every bit as good as the dac section. Very, very transparent and it drives my HE 560's with ease offering a large and dynamic soundstage. I don't have any amplifier that is anymore transparent at this time. For me, the dac and amp implementation are superb. 

Had a thought. Technically, you could never improve the Hugo sound quality with any external amp, rather only change sound flavor, or better match performance for unique headphones. Even if the amp were theoretically better, you can't make a DVD from a VHS tape.

This is of course excluding capability factors such as voltage swing, etc... Your headphones might perform better, and thus sound better with an external amp that is capable of driving the headphone better, but the musical signal cannot be improved upon once it leaves Hugo's gain stage. 

Been listening to the Hugo quite a bit lately with the ak240 and the LCD X. What a terrific combination. I would venture to say that it ranks up there any system I have heard regardless of price. The  Hugo is stellar. One of thevery best DACs I have heard. I am hearing detail I never know was there in some recordings. 

Do you guys ever think, geez, I'm probably hearing this in higher fidelity than what the artist has heard. 

May 25, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #3,456 of 15,694
you guys seem to be having a massive Dali'esque experience... how surreal is that

dripping Hugo anyone?
wink_face.gif

May 25, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #3,458 of 15,694
well my stock cable does 24/192 for sure, maybe you have a different stock cable 2 me.or maybe the music your trying is not what it says it is.

Connecting my Oppo 95 to the Hugo using the stock cable, I can't get 192 files (from a USB stick) to output sound. My DVD-Audios that I've created myself (by burning 24/96 files purchased from HD Tracks onto DVD-Rs) work perfectly (with the green light). My Neil Young Blu-Ray audios (24/192) all come up with the orange light (indicating 48KHz). The Talk Talk DVD Spirit of Eden (supposedly 24/96) also plays with the orange light. In fact, I've just tried a few Blu-Ray discs (films) and they all play with the orange light. Strange.

I'm not sure if I will be keeping the Hugo within my speaker system (I bought it primarily to use with my AK120). I'm going to buy a coaxial cable as an experiment but don't want to spend too much. Can anyone therefore recommend anything cheap that will definitely play up to 24/192? 

May 25, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #3,459 of 15,694
Maybe check the audio setting on your oppos. See seeteeyou's comment on: http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/3405

Standard 75 ohm coaxial should be able to do 24/192. Only some optical cable can't do 24/192.

May 25, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #3,460 of 15,694
Connecting my Oppo 95 to the Hugo using the stock cable, I can't get 192 files (from a USB stick) to output sound. My DVD-Audios that I've created myself (by burning 24/96 files purchased from HD Tracks onto DVD-Rs) work perfectly (with the green light). My Neil Young Blu-Ray audios (24/192) all come up with the orange light (indicating 48KHz). The Talk Talk DVD Spirit of Eden (supposedly 24/96) also plays with the orange light. In fact, I've just tried a few Blu-Ray discs (films) and they all play with the orange light. Strange.

I'm not sure if I will be keeping the Hugo within my speaker system (I bought it primarily to use with my AK120). I'm going to buy a coaxial cable as an experiment but don't want to spend too much. Can anyone therefore recommend anything cheap that will definitely play up to 24/192? 
use a rca cable just 2 try it out in the coax input and output,just tried it on mine and it works.

May 25, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #3,462 of 15,694
I get it, if your into surround sound or SACD.  Okay.  I'm just a 2 channel monger, not so much into movies.  Live music yes.  But a superior 2 channel system is king to me controlled thru a PC/Mac.
I don't think you can compare the two to be honest,if you want high quality sound i doubt anyone..Will go down the bluray player route but if you love movies and music like me then it's worth investing in the classe ssp 800 which gives me the best of both worlds and just have a separate bluray player for films and a dedicated cd player which im now selling and just use my iPhone 5 s through the Hugo then to the classe for music

May 25, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #3,463 of 15,694

It seems like your player is down sampling your files. Hugo won't do that and it isn't a cable problem.
If your player could deliver 24/192 the Hugo would play it, and with a bad cable it would be clicking (drop outs) or not play at all. Your files play at 24/96 and that has nothing to do with the Hugo. It plays what it gets if it can play it.. and in your case it does. :wink:

Edit:
Do you have the latest firmware? Seems to be the October 15, 2013 release.
And I would suggest that you send Oppo an e-mail regarding this issue, as there are a lot of settings on this player and it seems easy to get lost in the menu even for experienced people.

May 25, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #3,464 of 15,694
Drew at Moon is working on the Silver Dragon for 24-192 and will be available soon. He is the klink I ordered anothe one from that Jude recommended http://www.sysconcept.ca/index.php?osCsid=kfhpgt2vde58ik8jbc7h0kd5b3. The have a 5MM for the hugo and ak240 does 24-192

May 25, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #3,465 of 15,694
It seems like your player is down sampling your files. Hugo won't do that and it isn't a cable problem.
If your player could deliver 24/192 the Hugo would play it, and with a bad cable it would be clicking (drop outs) or not play at all. Your files play at 24/96 and that has nothing to do with the Hugo. It plays what it gets if it can play it.. and in your case it does.
wink.gif

Edit:
Do you have the latest firmware? Seems to be the October 15, 2013 release.
And I would suggest that you send Oppo an e-mail regarding this issue, as there are a lot of settings on this player and it seems easy to get lost in the menu even for experienced people.

I think you are right. I have tried a cheap coaxial cable and it's also down sampling to 48KHz (orange light). I can't find anything in the Oppo 95 manual but I have just found this in the Oppo BDP105d manual and I assume it's the same:

␣    Due to bandwidth limitations, high resolution audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. A reduced resolution version of the same audio track will be output instead. To listen to high resolution audio formats in their best quality, please use the HDMI connection if you have a receiver that handles HDMI audio (see page 11) or use the multi-channel analogue outputs if you do not (see page 18).
␣    Due to copyright restrictions, SACD audio cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to SACDs, please use the HDMI or analogue audio connections.
␣    Due to copyright restrictions and bandwidth limitations, full resolution audio from DVD-Audio discs cannot be sent through the coaxial or optical digital audio output. To listen to DVD- Audio in full resolution, please use the HDMI or analogue audio connections.

So it seems if this is applies to the BDP95 as well, I have to go through analogue (which rules out the Hugo) or HDMI (which would require some kind of digital audio splitter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back