Chord Hugo
May 9, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #2,778 of 15,694
tapped  HE6 directly into the 6.35 mm output, the fullness and detail , timbre and texture much better than RE 262 . However even listening to female voices ( no symphony or complex dynamic modern music) for about half an hour , suddenly there was no sound from either USB or optical input ( all the lights are still on!). Had to restart Hugo to make it work again. Don't know whether some current overdrive circuit was triggered or not. 

What do you guys think ?

"  suddenly there was no sound from either USB or optical input ( all the lights are still on!). Had to restart Hugo to make it work again "

Similar problem happened already twice to me while I was doing some Headphone plug swap (while HUGO is ON) to test different headphone.  Scary !

- Was it a bug or... some type of "internal protection" ?  
- Do we really need to turn OFF the HUGO before swapping headphone ? 

May 9, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #2,779 of 15,694

"  suddenly there was no sound from either USB or optical input ( all the lights are still on!). Had to restart Hugo to make it work again "

Similar problem happened already twice to me while I was doing some Headphone plug swap (while HUGO is ON) to test different headphone.  Scary !

- Was it a bug or... some type of "internal protection" ?  
- Do we really need to turn OFF the HUGO before swapping headphone ? 

I never turn my Hugo off.. seldom anyway.. and I swap headphones (T5P and HD800) all the time.
I have also experienced Hugo "hanging" once.. just a restart and up and running again.
In my experience that happens to almost all digital devices.. can't think of any digital devices at the moment that I haven't restarted over the years.. some more than others of course..

May 9, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #2,780 of 15,694
I've had similar things happen when I played the Hugo, sometimes the beginning of songs would be cut off, never happened with any other dac, sometimes the sound would cut off like the other posters experienced. Nice dac, but kind of buggy.

May 9, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #2,782 of 15,694
I am currently using the Windows driver.  I notice that when I switch sample rates (esp PCM to DSD) the first song chosen may have it's first half second or so truncated.  I simply go back with a button push on Jremote.  But that's from the luxury of my listening chair, which is way different and more tolerant than when one is out and about.

May 9, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #2,783 of 15,694
glad you were able to attend the event, I'll tell the Wizard you enjoyed the demo. :beerchug:
Alright mate,I'll give you a ring next week,dad really ill so been at mum s ,soz mate,be nice to talk about the Hugo

May 9, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #2,784 of 15,694
Just wanted to get confirmation for those using their Chord Hugo with an iPhone.

iPhone connected to Hugo via Lightning CCK adapter and USB cable will bypass BOTH the AMP and DAC of the iPhone?

Most of my music collection is hi-res FLAC which I use the Onkyo app. However with the limited 64GB storage, I sometimes just use iTunes Match which plays back in 256 kbps AAC. Would the Hugo be a waste if I use it mainly with AAC files?

For those that also have the AK240, would the iPhone + Hugo have better SQ over standalone AK240? Portability is not a factor here.

Thanks!

May 9, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #2,785 of 15,694
  I am currently using the Windows driver.  I notice that when I switch sample rates (esp PCM to DSD) the first song chosen may have it's first half second or so truncated.  I simply go back with a button push on Jremote.  But that's from the luxury of my listening chair, which is way different and more tolerant than when one is out and about.

Yes there is indeed a mute operation built into Hugo. Some OS/software (no names) do not handle the changes from sample rate gracefully, so the computers buffer has data which is flushed out by the media player at the wrong rate. If it is DSD data being treated as PCM, you get a horrible noise. So I had to fix this by muting the beginning of whenever data changes or SR changes. The function of mute delay, plus volume ramp up, plus exponential smoothing of the volume coefficients means you lose about half a second. But you would not want to hear that garbage noise! Also, when I have had to reset Hugo, it is the computer driver that has failed, not Hugo. By turning Hugo on and off, the computer re-establishes USB connection and (mostly) re-sets itself.

May 9, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #2,786 of 15,694
Just wanted to get confirmation for those using their Chord Hugo with an iPhone.

iPhone connected to Hugo via Lightning CCK adapter and USB cable will bypass BOTH the AMP and DAC of the iPhone?

Most of my music collection is hi-res FLAC which I use the Onkyo app. However with the limited 64GB storage, I sometimes just use iTunes Match which plays back in 256 kbps AAC. Would the Hugo be a waste if I use it mainly with AAC files?

For those that also have the AK240, would the iPhone + Hugo have better SQ over standalone AK240? Portability is not a factor here.

Thanks!
Yes it by passes everything just pure signal to the Hugo,Me personally I would send to the Hugo at least cd Apple lossless or what's the point,the k240 Will not give better digital signal than iPhone but will hold more music

May 9, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #2,787 of 15,694
Thanks!

Note that JRemote app now streams hirez (green = 96khz) from JRiver on audio server PC via wifi (or unlimited 4G).  JRemote only goes up to 96khz, DSD can be played via JRiver transcoding to 44khz / 320kbps.  

May 9, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #2,788 of 15,694
I've had similar things happen when I played the Hugo, sometimes the beginning of songs would be cut off, never happened with any other dac, sometimes the sound would cut off like the other posters experienced. Nice dac, but kind of buggy.

Could you tell us a bit more about your setup? Source & input used etc? I've never had this issue with the Hugo running from iDevices via the HD USB!

May 9, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #2,789 of 15,694
  Yes there is indeed a mute operation built into Hugo. Some OS/software (no names) do not handle the changes from sample rate gracefully, so the computers buffer has data which is flushed out by the media player at the wrong rate. If it is DSD data being treated as PCM, you get a horrible noise. So I had to fix this by muting the beginning of whenever data changes or SR changes. The function of mute delay, plus volume ramp up, plus exponential smoothing of the volume coefficients means you lose about half a second. But you would not want to hear that garbage noise! Also, when I have had to reset Hugo, it is the computer driver that has failed, not Hugo. By turning Hugo on and off, the computer re-establishes USB connection and (mostly) re-sets itself.

Thanks Rob, I was wondering about that 1/2 sec cut off too. Ok, it make sense now.

May 9, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #2,790 of 15,694

That's probably it. That serves as a strike against the Hugo, my other dacs do not have this problem, and it is a problem, if you have to reset the dac constantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back