Chord Hugo
May 8, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #2,761 of 15,694
popcorn.gif

May 8, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #2,762 of 15,694
  I'll gladly send you 4 silver battery leads.....for free.........I make these myself........just so you could HEAR the difference......... and then eat your words.
wink_face.gif

Just share with all the procedure and more than likely folks will be glad to purchase your leads.

May 8, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #2,763 of 15,694

Use a free photo uploader like photobucket.  Use the url for the photo to load.  There is probably a thread on this forum for posting shots.

smile_phones.gif

May 8, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #2,764 of 15,694
If you are a plug and play sort of a person this could be a problem for you because you will have to remove the hex screws and take the back off the player,lift out the batteries,razor blade some heat shrink off the top of each battery and remove a sticky tab and then snip each wire from the board and battery.You then solder your new wires in one at a time.One Chord review online shows how the reviewer completely took the player apart and showed the player and all internal parts in 4 or 5 nice closeup pictures.

May 9, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #2,767 of 15,694
more of this damned nonsense if only you really understood how the Dac and amp really works you'd understand how foolish just changing the battery leads is. You are only focussed on that part because it's the only part you can change simply. So leave Hugo's batteries alone or some one, some day will have one catch fire when it's in their pocket

May 9, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #2,768 of 15,694
sa92058,

Despite the sonic improvements that you attribute to your Hugo battery/wires modification, such a procedure will undoubtedly invalidate the Chord product warranty and so may not be advisable for folks concerned about such matters.   

Quote:
  If you are a plug and play sort of a person this could be a problem for you because you will have to remove the hex screws and take the back off the player,lift out the batteries,razor blade some heat shrink off the top of each battery and remove a sticky tab and then snip each wire from the board and battery.You then solder your new wires in one at a time.One Chord review online shows how the reviewer completely took the player apart and showed the player and all internal parts in 4 or 5 nice closeup pictures.

May 9, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #2,769 of 15,694
  Just replaced the wire leads to both of the batteries in my Hugo last night.The audible result is now even greater clarity and transparency!.......especially in the upper mid to high range.The stock wires are not audiophile grade at all.The wires have a very thick dielectric coating and the conductors themselves didn't appear to be very pure.I EASILY REPLACED them with some ultra pure silver wire from Audio Consulting.Snip out the 4 wires and solder 4 quality new ones in and your done! I WOULD BE GLAD TO WALK ANYONE THRU THIS IF INTERESTED.....YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID!  Steve 513-207-5968.

Given the experimentation I've done with power supplies and power cables before (both plug and play) it wouldn't surprise me if this did make a difference, but the procedure exceeds my technical comfort level - especially on a brand new £1200 device.  If my annoyance with the restricted ports reaches sufficient levels in a years time I might try this whilst running it naked though. :) 

May 9, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #2,770 of 15,694
I received my Hugo yesterday. fully charged and commenced listening .

PC- Tempotec digital only sound card optical out -Hugo-Hifiman Re  262: tremendously musical , I could not stop listening to whole songs or even the whole CD , even when originally intended to listen to part of the song for testing , no matter it's Hungarian Rapsody  , Haifetz's Sybelius Violin Concerto or some male and female voices .

compared with Auido GD 10SE , it's as if a veil was lifted and all the timing was made right, the rhythm and coherence was so right that I involuntarily tapped one foot , then both feet , then swung the body .

tapped  HE6 directly into the 6.35 mm output, the fullness and detail , timbre and texture much better than RE 262 . However even listening to female voices ( no symphony or complex dynamic modern music) for about half an hour , suddenly there was no sound from either USB or optical input ( all the lights are still on!). Had to restart Hugo to make it work again. Don't know whether some current overdrive circuit was triggered or not. 

I am just wondering , since using RE262( which is not so sensitive ) I can only go to red for normal CDs , and to yellow for symphony orchestras. I have in mind of acquiring both Hifiman RE 600 and Oppo PM-1 to match with Hugo ( both are extremely sensitive at 102 db, and RE600 at 15ohm , PM-1 at 32ohm). I wonder if hissing will be an issue. Even if not , there may not be sufficient room for adjusting volume ,since  I may not even be able to move beyond red in any event !

What do you guys think ?

May 9, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #2,771 of 15,694

tapped  HE6 directly into the 6.35 mm output, the fullness and detail , timbre and texture much better than RE 262 . However even listening to female voices ( no symphony or complex dynamic modern music) for about half an hour , suddenly there was no sound from either USB or optical input ( all the lights are still on!). Had to restart Hugo to make it work again. Don't know whether some current overdrive circuit was triggered or not. 

If you are using say foobar and while surfing online a video appeared the driver may crash and you will need restart foobar and closed firefox or explorer. Well at least that is what I would do. The only times I encountered cut out is when the batteries ran out.

As for Oppo PM1, although it is sensitive but it sucks lots of power quickly so chances are you will need to turn up the volume beyond red.

May 9, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #2,772 of 15,694

If you are using say foobar and while surfing online a video appeared the driver may crash and you will need restart foobar and closed firefox or explorer. Well at least that is what I would do. The only times I encountered cut out is when the batteries ran out.

As for Oppo PM1, although it is sensitive but it sucks lots of power quickly so chances are you will need to turn up the volume beyond red.

Set your normal sound card as default in windows.  In Foobar set Hugo as output device.  Now when playing back in Foobar any webpages will not interrupt Hugo.

May 9, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #2,773 of 15,694
  Set your normal sound card as default in windows.  In Foobar set Hugo as output device.  Now when playing back in Foobar any webpages will not interrupt Hugo.

On my laptop the sound card is default to Speakers and sometimes if video appears while playing in Foobar the video's sound will go to speakers but sometimes it crashes both Foobar and the video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back