Chord Hugo
May 7, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #2,716 of 15,694
Hopefully got the winning lottery ticket right here so I'll be on a serious spending spree at a chord dealer tomorrow

May 7, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #2,717 of 15,694
you just made me pine for my old Arcam system, Alpha-9 CD, Alpha-10 amp & power amp & Monitor Audio GS10 stand-mount speakers, I should never of sold that system... if you're thinking of some decent stand-mounts check out KEF R300's, very musical indeedy.

May 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #2,718 of 15,694
I wish so bad there were some nice small powered monitors I could have as portable with the Hugo. Would love to hear this on a quality speaker system, even is small, but quality. My home system is in storage and in that I would be in heaven but  alas, I am a mobile guy now, so the headphones for everything but the Hugo and my other equipment really does a good job. I just would like to hear the Hugo on some speakers. Great amp/dac it is, and a non dac it really is. :^)

May 7, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #2,719 of 15,694
you just made me pine for my old Arcam system, Alpha-9 CD, Alpha-10 amp & power amp & Monitor Audio GS10 stand-mount speakers, I should never of sold that system... if you're thinking of some decent stand-mounts check out KEF R300's, very musical indeedy.
I know mate,we all get Arcam then move on to better things then when we down grade it's Arcam i go back to,must do their head in though knowing their is companies like chord and classe out there lol

May 7, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #2,720 of 15,694
I wish so bad there were some nice small powered monitors I could have as portable with the Hugo. Would love to hear this on a quality speaker system, even is small, but quality. My home system is in storage and in that I would be in heaven but  alas, I am a mobile guy now, so the headphones for everything but the Hugo and my other equipment really does a good job. I just would like to hear the Hugo on some speakers. Great amp/dac it is, and a non dac it really is. :^)
The problem with the Hugo is when you put it into your main system you need to upgraded everything else to show what it can do so im gonna just use my Hugo mainly with headphones as I don't feel like I'm missing out on what it can do,maybe better headphones but it's hardly gonna break the bank compared to upgrading a full blown separates with monster speakers,im not going down that road again,Mrs would split up with me,Mmmm now that's a thought lol

May 7, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #2,721 of 15,694
Jamato... have a nose at Dynaudio BM6A & Event Electronics Opal, just recommended to me by a guy who is into Pro-Audio (I was on phone to him when I saw your post), the latter being the better... you will have to get RCA>XLR  leads, hth. 

May 7, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #2,722 of 15,694
  Jamato... have a nose at Dynaudio BM6A & Event Electronics Opal, just recommended to me by a guy who is into Pro-Audio (I was on phone to him when I saw your post), the latter being the better... you will have to get RCA>XLR  leads, hth. 

I've been looking at the Opals for a while; has anyone actually paired them with the Hugo yet? Would be interested to hear if they have good synergy

edit; not sure the Opals class as small speakers though - they weigh over 20kg!

May 7, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #2,723 of 15,694
I know mate,we all get Arcam then move on to better things then when we down grade it's Arcam i go back to,must do their head in though knowing their is companies like chord and classe out there lol

I was ruined by Chord's CD1 & 5000 pre-amp at the much missed Rochester Hi-Fi, I used to spend hours upon hours chewing the cud with the owner... still beggars can't be choosers and not long now till I'll finally get my Hugo.

May 7, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #2,725 of 15,694
At over 20 kg's, too big. I am truly portable, moving about. It looks to be up to good/great headphones, which I have some of. 

I have two home systems in storage. They are both hi end and would work well with the Hugo but alas, I doubt that will be any time soon. 

May 7, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #2,728 of 15,694
  just found a great review of the Hugo by Chris Martens of Hi-Fi+, worth a read:-

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/files/Hi-Fi%20Plus%20Hugo%20review%20May%202014.pdf

Interesting read. One point: that the review said the reference system had more focus is something I have heard for years regarding exceptional imaging and, frankly I would like anyone to try and hear that type of focus in real life. It doesn't happen, as least in my experience but the reason we often desire it, myself included, in a home system, is to overcome the fact that you are not really listening to live music or with people in front of you, so systems try to overcome this with a wow factor so that you forget that it isn't "really" happening in front of you. The lack of aural acoustics that happens in real life, a "system", needs to overcome. The Hugo, to my ears, is a more natural approach and more true to life. 

May 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #2,729 of 15,694
At over 20 kg's, too big. I am truly portable, moving about. It looks to be up to good/great headphones, which I have some of. 

I have two home systems in storage. They are both hi end and would work well with the Hugo but alas, I doubt that will be any time soon. 
Can I ask why are they in storage?

May 7, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #2,730 of 15,694
Can I ask why are they in storage?

I am mobile guy. I have lived in China, Micronesia, California, Arizona, and now Alaska all within the past 7 years. Along with over 3000 tubes, my test equipment, 9 very nice tube testers that are all calibrated and working, parts and etc. etc. I miss he stuff but this is what I am doing now. 

So the Hugo, my DX90 and other great musical items, will go with me on my travels, and still I have too much "stuff". :^)  Glad that everything has gotten more portable and listenable in the last few years. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back