Chord Hugo
Apr 24, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #2,297 of 15,694
  I hope nobody is buying the Chord Hugo for wireless?  Kind of defeats the purpose in achieving the utmost quality sound with high end chords/adaptors, quality headphones, hi rez sound.  To only introduce worse sound with Bluetooth. 
Hummm, I don't get it.  But I got it, the Hugo, and I didn't buy it for the after thought feature of wireless sound.  And I doubt most other folks aren't either.

redface.gif
  Elvis

Like I mentioned earlier using a mobile phone on the move without wires is a godsend.  If there was a usb cable attached it would be so clumsy.

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #2,298 of 15,694
I agree, I wouldn't be buying it solely for Bluetooth, but I'm also not gonna jump in, until they get it sorted out. That is unless it sounds so freaking good Tomorrow at the AXPONA show, that I break down, like a little girl, and buy it.

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #2,299 of 15,694

Bluetooth connectivity is 1 of 5 (BT, 2 USB, 1 optical, 1 coax) inputs that Chord provided for the Hugo.  

The Hugo is a $2,000+ DAC, but regardless whether it costs $200 or $20,000, shouldn't we hold the manufacturer accountable for providing functional inputs?  Given Chord's longstanding history and reputation of excellence, I expect better of them. 

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #2,300 of 15,694
I've gone through the rest of my Bluetooth devices and confirm the same noisy connection when active, eg pairing, playing music etc

Samsung Galaxy 4/5
HTC One M8
Alienware M18x windows laptop
iPad 3

There's something wrong with the Bluetooth on the Hugo, perhaps as simple as disconnected antennae, the range is certainly short, line of sight < 5m

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #2,301 of 15,694
Apr 24, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #2,302 of 15,694
I agree, I wouldn't be buying it solely for Bluetooth, but I'm also not gonna jump in, until they get it sorted out. That is unless it sounds so freaking good Tomorrow at the AXPONA show, that I break down, like a little girl, and buy it.

Setting aside my criticism of Hugo's bluetooth inputs and getting back to sound quality / bliss... dude, if you listen to LCD-X on a Hugo tomorrow, you WILL be out a mortgage payment.  
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #2,303 of 15,694
I consider the Hugo a semi mobile device.  Meaning, I'm not going to be carrying a $2400 electronic device everywhere I go.  But I will carry it somewhere that I will be in a stable setting and would like to enjoy some tunes.  (Although this is quite anti social if other folks are around.)  In these cases I will still want the upmost quality sound, so USB all the way.  I fail to see the importance of the Bluetooth for even if it worked perfectly fine, the connection, you still are going to have sub par quality sound as opposed to a hard connection.  I don't need to be hooked up to my Hugo 24 hours.  Take a break so as to enjoy the moments when you do have time and a stable environment.

dt880smile.png
  Elvis

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #2,304 of 15,694
  I consider the Hugo a semi mobile device.  Meaning, I'm not going to be carrying a $2400 electronic device everywhere I go.  But I will carry it somewhere that I will be in a stable setting and would like to enjoy some tunes.  (Although this is quite anti social if other folks are around.)  In these cases I will still want the upmost quality sound, so USB all the way.  I fail to see the importance of the Bluetooth for even if it worked perfectly fine, the connection, you still are going to have sub par quality sound as opposed to a hard connection.  I don't need to be hooked up to my Hugo 24 hours.  Take a break so as to enjoy the moments when you do have time and a stable environment.

dt880smile.png
  Elvis

That's just ignoring the problem.  The Hugo is advertised on the Chord website as such:

~~Introducing Hugo, the world's most advanced mobile DAC/headphone amp, with DSD128 and 384kHz PCM playback

~~Hugo benefits from five digital inputs including A2DP aptX Bluetooth

I might not use Bluetooth most of the time but it should work when I want it to.

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #2,305 of 15,694
  Blue tooth is one of the functions that this device supports, there's even a huge sticker under the Hugo with aptX on it.  Now we find neither blue tooth or aptX works.  If you buy a laptop with wireless and it doesn't work then get told to use wired LAN port instead since that gives the best quality connection what do you do?....

You got a point, if BT is your main connectivities then that's not good. Before I bought Hugo I am fully aware of this & that for best sound quality you don't suppose to use BT. However, not everyone is aware of this and it should still need to function as it is labelled as such.

Here is link what the designer Rob Watts has said regarding BT:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/1950#post_10466059
  I don't use BT at all, so I asked Matt at Chord: 
Code:
 if you are using an AppleiPhone or iPad then these do not feature the better Apt-X codec so forthe time being you should use a bluetooth adapter such as the BTD 300ifrom Sennheiser to get the best quality.

The Apt-X is a much better solution for BT than standard BT, which will sound noisy, as you can't get away from the low data rates of BT.

Maybe email Chord to see can they sort out your problem.

PS. I don't believe it is advertise as being able to play DSD via BT; you can play that via usb or coaxial (using DoP)

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2,306 of 15,694

My intention was to use Hugo as both a portable headphone amp, and also as part of my home audio system. For me at least, BT is a big deal: 

1) it is physically the most convenient connection whilst out and about (no cables to break). 
2) It is useful when friends come over and can easily play their music over my hifi system
3) It is useful when the wife wants to listen to music stored on her phone over the hifi. 

Is Bluetooth the last word in audio quality? Definitely not. Does it provide useful functionality, absolutely. 

Chord went to the trouble of using an APTX bluetooth receiver and have heavily marketed the unit's - "advanced connectivity". It would have been easier, and cheaper for them not to bother with bluetooth. I hope this is just a quality control issue that can be easily resolved. Otherwise, it makes one question why a respected designer and manufacturer of mid- and high-end audio would release a product with such an obvious flaw.

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #2,307 of 15,694
Setting aside my criticism of Hugo's bluetooth inputs and getting back to sound quality / bliss... dude, if you listen to LCD-X on a Hugo tomorrow, you WILL be out a mortgage payment.  :D
The mortgage payment on a moderately priced house in some neighbourhoods. That Obama is ruining everything! Sorry, couldn't help myself. I don't care what party or non-sudsy soap he's selling, second term lame duck gets the free rotten tomatoes. Back on topic. As I was saying LCD-X + Hugo = Mercedes S Class + driver thru Labor Day. Makes a nice Mother's Day gift, I mean the hp's and Hugo of course. So if I buy a Hugo can I go for a walk wearing my super light and comfy Grado RS1i's which I plug into the Hugo(?) while using the BT from my iPhone so I can check messages, text, and change songs while sitting at the park without having to rubber band bundle phone and dac together?

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #2,308 of 15,694

You got a point, if BT is your main connectivities then that's not good. Before I bought Hugo I am fully aware of this & that for best sound quality you don't suppose to use BT. However, not everyone is aware of this and it should still need to function as it is labelled as such.

Here is link what the designer has said regarding BT:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/1950#post_10466059

Maybe email Chord to see can they sort out your problem.

PS. I don't believe it is advertise as being able to play DSD via BT; you can play that via usb or coaxial (using DoP)

I'd be happy just to get a clean audio output via Bluetooth or aptX.  Most of my devices have aptX so that can't be the issue with low bandwidth as the static noise is there when music is paused or during pairing.

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #2,309 of 15,694
Sorry I am not so technical, best email Chord or talk to your dealer. Personally if you want the best sound from Hugo, not really sure BT is the way to go..... I mean after all even the designer doesn't use it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back