Chord Hugo
Apr 13, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #1,771 of 15,694
Well, I stated in my HD review that the Berkeley Alpha was quite a nice improvement, but questioned the diminishing returns vs the $250 Matrix X-SPDIF.  It is clearly better, but...

On the EX something has changed, and I am coming to the conclusion that either the USB section is cleaned up, or the fact that I'm now running the USB connection powerless (my newly added JCAT USB card allows for powered 5V or unpowered, and I'm running it unpowered to the Chord EX)....one of those aspects seems to be the reason that the difference between USB and SPDIF (and then the differences between SPDIF converters) is much less evident with the EX.  Also, I don;t have the Berkeley here right now, but I don't sense that my Matrix X-SPDIF (nor the Audiobyte Hydra X+) is essential to the setup like it was with the HD.  I'm still trying to figure this out.

As stated above, I added the Audiobyte Hydra-X+ to the mix, but have had a hard time hearing any prowess over the Matrix X-SPDIF.  Additionally, I uncovered a firmware bug that Audiobyte is working out currently....DSD channels are reversed via the Hydra-X+.  Thsi is somewhat fixable with JRIver (swap the cables and then tell JRIver to swap the PCM channels....and since DSP doesn't work with DSD all is well).

The jury is still out on all this, so far.  But currently I am not losing sleep over playing via USB (rather than SPDIF).

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,772 of 15,694
There is a direct link to my guide in our DSD database google page here. (see last entry).  The guide has all the links necessary.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #1,774 of 15,694
I have experimented with several configurations to have a transportable setup that includes Hugo, including iPhone, SeaGate Wireless and Kingston Mobile Lite.  This is what I finally ended up doing.  See picture below.

The setup includes the following:
- Pelican 1075 Carrying Case
- Dell Venue Pro 8 8-inch Windows 8 Tablet with J River Media Centre 19
- Dynex USB Hub
- Ocho MLG-4096OT 5000mAh USB Power Pack
- 480 GB Crucial M500 SSD in HDD Enclosure (For music files - I use FLAC, Apple Lossless & DSD (DSF & SACD ISO ripped using PS3)
- Microsoft Sculpt Touch Bluetooth Mouse
- Chord Hugo DAC / Headphone Amplifier
- USB OTG Cable
- Mini & Micro USB Cables for Hub, Hugo & SSD

The USB Hub allows connecting both the Hugo and the external SSD Drive to the tablet's single USB port through a USB OTG cable.  The hub needs to be powered by the USB power pack because of the SSD drive.  If using flash drives, there will be no need to power the hub.

The Bluetooth mouse makes navigating J River much easier than using the touchscreen.

The Tablet and Power Pack are secured using Velcro.

One drawback is that the Tablet cannot be charged while connected to the USB hub.  I haven't yet tested battery life for such a setup.

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #1,775 of 15,694
Can someone pls direct me to the sacd ps3 guide? I would love to rip some sacds I own.

Unless you own one of original ps3 and haven't been updating firmware, it won't work. Reverting firmware past a version out a couple years back is a huge issue. I have right ps3 but not the right firmware and I hadn't updated my firmware in over a year.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #1,776 of 15,694
Can someone pls direct me to the sacd ps3 guide? I would love to rip some sacds I own.

Unless you own one of original ps3 and haven't been updating firmware, it won't work. Reverting firmware past a version out a couple years back is a huge issue. I have right ps3 but not the right firmware and I hadn't updated my firmware in over a year.

I have the right PS3 but have been updating my firmware on it so I guess I am out of luck?

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #1,777 of 15,694
$100 gets you there.  Folks like Jason at northeastohiopcs can hard mod the firmware (solder a board, etc) so an eligible PS3 will work, even if it currently is past 3.55.  But it's some work and solder, so if your SACD collection is big enough, maybe worth it.  If you have a small SACD collection, PM me for more discussion.  Sorry for the hijack (responding to PS3 guide questions).
Ted

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #1,778 of 15,694
  Thanks to you guys here on Head-Fi I have pulled the trigger on the Hugo (4th US shipment, includes RCA case enhancements).  As some of you know (and thanks for the nice comments) I write reviews for Computer Audiophile (among other things) and have done one for the Qute HD...and now own a Qute EX with a Hynes SR3-12 eternal ps.  The external Hynes ps (among others) puts the Qute series into another level of DAC performance.  Some good audio ears I respect, as well as some posts here (that I know less but are clearly consistent and knowledgeable) say the Hugo (sans external ps cuz the portable battery-based design is not open to that) will out perform my setup in the home system.  I can't wait to give my feedback.  I will also listen via a few SPDIF converters (since the Qute series seems to excel via SPDIF) from the Matrix X-SPDIF to the Audiobyte Hydra-X+ to the Berkeley Alpha.  I will try to get an Audiophilkeo AP2 in here too.

Anyway, thanks for the push.  The Hugo is selling so well that demos weren't available, so I bought one. :)
Ted

Waiting for that!

I also loved my QuteHD with TeddyPSU. I deeply regretted selling it recently. It's in the same league as my SA-2 with a warmer and punchier sound (a bit less slam though) that still retains excellent clarity and better height to the sound (which was unknown to me until I discovered what height could do with the QuteHD).

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #1,779 of 15,694
I have the right PS3 but have been updating my firmware on it so I guess I am out of luck?

You're in the same boat as me. If I remember correctly, it involves some soldering. If you are still interested, I'll try to find guide.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #1,780 of 15,694
You're in the same boat as me. If I remember correctly, it involves some soldering. If you are still interested, I'll try to find guide.

?  Are my posts not getting published?  I already gave a link to my guide (post 1776), and already gave a bunch of info on the mod needed to roll back before 3.55 (post 1781).  ?? I don;t understand why folks don't see them, sorry. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #1,781 of 15,694
  I have experimented with several configurations to have a transportable setup that includes Hugo, including iPhone, SeaGate Wireless and Kingston Mobile Lite.  This is what I finally ended up doing.  See picture below.

The setup includes the following:
- Pelican 1075 Carrying Case
- Dell Venue Pro 8 8-inch Windows 8 Tablet with J River Media Centre 19
- Dynex USB Hub
- Ocho MLG-4096OT 5000mAh USB Power Pack
- 480 GB Crucial M500 SSD in HDD Enclosure (For music files - I use FLAC, Apple Lossless & DSD (DSF & SACD ISO ripped using PS3)
- Microsoft Sculpt Touch Bluetooth Mouse
- Chord Hugo DAC / Headphone Amplifier
- USB OTG Cable
- Mini & Micro USB Cables for Hub, Hugo & SSD

The USB Hub allows connecting both the Hugo and the external SSD Drive to the tablet's single USB port through a USB OTG cable.  The hub needs to be powered by the USB power pack because of the SSD drive.  If using flash drives, there will be no need to power the hub.

The Bluetooth mouse makes navigating J River much easier than using the touchscreen.

The Tablet and Power Pack are secured using Velcro.

One drawback is that the Tablet cannot be charged while connected to the USB hub.  I haven't yet tested battery life for such a setup.

Nice set-up.  I am also considering a Tablet + JRiver  to feed the HUGO.

But... if you replace the Dell Venue Pro 8  by a Microsoft Surface2 PRO 512 Gb you can get rid of the HUB, the external HD & the battery pack !

And : No HUB = cleaner dat path from tablet-> Hugo !

And without the battery pack, the 10,6" Surface 2 tablet will fit in your case, and you will have a larger screen to use JRiver ? (with 10,6" you can use JRiver without mouse)

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #1,782 of 15,694

Nice set-up.  I am also considering a Tablet + JRiver  to feed the HUGO.

But... if you replace the Dell Venue Pro 8  by a Microsoft Surface2 PRO 512 Gb you can get rid of the HUB, the external HD & the battery pack !

And : No HUB = cleaner dat path from tablet-> Hugo !

And without the battery pack, the 10,6" Surface 2 tablet will fit in your case, and you will have a larger screen to use JRiver ? (with 10,6" you can use JRiver without mouse)

I wanted the smallest Windows Tablet for portability but ended up adding external peripherals to make it work.  In the end, I have to agree the Surface is probably a better solution if you want to restrict your music to the internal 512GB plus a possibly 128GB microSD card.

I have a huge music collection and I like the fact that with my setup I will be able to use a 1TB SDD or larger at a relatively reasonable price once my 480GB becomes full.

Things will obviously change in the future when tablets will either have more storage or microSD cards will reach 2TB, then the setup will only consist of the Tablet, a microSD or two and Hugo.  Things are evolving very quickly!

Please post pictures of your setup if you go the Microsoft Surface route.

The Pelican cases are very nice, robust and relatively inexpensive.

If there is Wi-Fi within range, I also use my iPhone as a remote control to J River using the J Remote App.  This is much better than the mouse or the touchscreen. 

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #1,783 of 15,694

I wanted the smallest Windows Tablet for portability but ended up adding external peripherals to make it work.  In the end, I have to agree the Surface is probably a better solution if you want to restrict your music to the internal 512GB plus a possibly 128GB microSD card.

I have a huge music collection and I like the fact that with my setup I will be able to use a 1TB SDD or larger at a relatively reasonable price once my 480GB becomes full.

Things will obviously change in the future when tablets will either have more storage or microSD cards will reach 2TB, then the setup will only consist of the Tablet, a microSD or two and Hugo.  Things are evolving very quickly!

Please post pictures of your setup if you go the Microsoft Surface route.

The Pelican cases are very nice, robust and relatively inexpensive.

If there is Wi-Fi within range, I also use my iPhone as a remote control to J River using the J Remote App.  This is much better than the mouse or the touchscreen. 

I am still hesitating, so I have not bought the SurfacePRO yet.  

If are going to drive JRiver through J Remote (which indeed seems very convenient), then we could imagine a mini-PC without screen and a BIG SSD inside ?  have you considered this ?

So: An iPAD to play JRemote, and attached on the back of the iPAD, side by side, the HUGO and the MicroPC ? no ? 

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #1,784 of 15,694

I am still hesitating, so I have not bought the SurfacePRO yet.  

If are going to drive JRiver through J Remote (which indeed seems very convenient), then we could imagine a mini-PC without screen and a BIG SSD inside ?  have you considered this ?

So: An iPAD to play JRemote, and attached on the back of the iPAD, side by side, the HUGO and the MicroPC ? no ? 

I have considered a mini-PC without screen but only for my home setup, not portable.  I haven't done it though and still use a dedicated laptop for that.  For portable use, I don't know what mini-PCs are available that are battery powered.  also J Remote is very nice, but you will still need a screen, at least temporary, to add new music to the library, or to play some new music handed to you in a memory stick.

I can figure out many instances, where you would be stuck requiring a screen to do something.  If you are on the go, you will be out of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back