Chord Hugo
Mar 11, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #1,036 of 15,694
The Venture Craft Go Dap DD 1 LE 12 volt is indeed a great idea.  It allow to use the COAX imput of the HUGO that is supposed to be better than the USB/ToshLink imput. 

The question is : which one offer better SQ:   Venture Craft Go Dap DD 1 LE 12 volt    or   Cypher Labs Class Solo  ?

These two are my best dac for I device

Class solo original : for rock and fast music is very good
Don't make wrong with class R or dB the power is below class solo original

Venture craft go dap dd1 LE muse 02 : for audiophile jazz and classical music is very good

IMO

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #1,037 of 15,694
  I'm feeding the Hugo with my Audiophilleo 1 + PurePower, and I do think it sounds better as compared to the native USB inputs. USB is still very good on its own though. I'll have to try a more modest DDC and see how Hugo compares. 

project86 is it much better or slightly better with the AP1 + PP? And in particular what areas were it better? Many thanks for your thoughts! Looking forward to your upcoming other DDCs comparison.

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #1,038 of 15,694
I'm feeding the Hugo with my Audiophilleo 1 + PurePower, and I do think it sounds better as compared to the native USB inputs. USB is still very good on its own though. I'll have to try a more modest DDC and see how Hugo compares. 

Same for me with my system. Using OR5 is better than Hugo USB input. But Hugo USB input is still quite good. Just a notch or two below what the OR5 offers.

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #1,039 of 15,694

project86 is it much better or slightly better with the AP1 + PP? And in particular what areas were it better? Many thanks for your thoughts! Looking forward to your upcoming other DDCs comparison.

Depends on the situation. If I'm using an LCD-2 and just listening to some modern band that I enjoy, the difference is negligible. But with really high quality music, and more resolving headphones (HD800, JH13 FP, etc) the difference is definitely tangible. I get a better defined sense of space, with imaging accuracy being more specific. I also feel like lows have more weight to them, and just general transparency is increased. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #1,040 of 15,694
These two are my best dac for I device

Class solo original : for rock and fast music is very good
Don't make wrong with class R or dB the power is below class solo original

Venture craft go dap dd1 LE muse 02 : for audiophile jazz and classical music is very good

IMO

when using Class solo  or Venture craft with iPhone/iPAD, with COAX to HUGO, do we still have the iPHONE's 16/44 limitation ? 

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #1,041 of 15,694
Thank you guys, that helps clear things up re: Hugo's usb!

As for coaxial, it can only go up to what the hardware allows. For Hugo it can do 24-bit/384kHz but most coaxial devise will be lower than that. For DSD it has to be via USB I think (please correct me if I am wrong).

Hugo's specifications

Inputs
• Optical TOSLink 24-bit/192kHz-capable
• RCA coaxial input 24-bit/384kHz-capable
• Driverless USB input 16-bit/48kHz-capable (designed for tablets/phones)
• HD USB input 32-bit/384KHz and DSD128-capable (for computer/laptop playback; see driver details below)

Mar 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #1,042 of 15,694
I am using the Onkoyo HF player with the Wadia and it looks like it is outputing higher resolution on the appropriate files.  Sounds great.

Mar 12, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #1,046 of 15,694
  Thank you guys, that helps clear things up re: Hugo's usb!

As for coaxial, it can only go up to what the hardware allows. For Hugo it can do 24-bit/384kHz but most coaxial devise will be lower than that. For DSD it has to be via USB I think (please correct me if I am wrong).

Hugo's specifications

Inputs
• Optical TOSLink 24-bit/192kHz-capable
• RCA coaxial input 24-bit/384kHz-capable
• Driverless USB input 16-bit/48kHz-capable (designed for tablets/phones)
• HD USB input 32-bit/384KHz and DSD128-capable (for computer/laptop playback; see driver details below)

The EX can do DSD over S/PDIF....I thought the Hugo could too.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #1,048 of 15,694

Hi project86,

Have you upgraded your Audiophilleo1 to support 384KHz/DSD128?
I'm very curious about how it sounds.

Mar 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #1,049 of 15,694

I don't see why not.  As long as transport is capable of sending via coaxial, I don't see why Chord couldn't handle it.

Mar 12, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #1,050 of 15,694

I don't see why not.  As long as transport is capable of sending via coaxial, I don't see why Chord couldn't handle it.

Read this interview:
http://www.aumacoustics.com/robertwatts.html

You now understand that there are limits of what you can put in a little box and not do any compromizes regarding performance (SQ). I guess more stuff requires more battery power also, and price will go up and then what about the size? I believe Chord have done an excellent job with the Hugo, and it is a game changer in portable audio. No doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back