Chord Hugo
Apr 2, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #14,867 of 15,692
Hey UELong. Obviously they need people like you who can't even spell properly. A tody: "a small insectivorous Caribbean bird related to the motmots, with a large head, long bill, bright green upper parts, and a red throat"

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #14,869 of 15,692
  If the shoe fits, wear it.  Or like Donald Trump, do it with pride.

I would like to add, this problem is not going to go away.  There will be others and working on those complaints on a case by case scenario will become a nightmare.   A system of response with a procedural path is a must.  If in fact, there is a design issue (even outside warranty), then the path to a solution will be difficult for a happy resolution.  I still say, make a rebate on the Hugo 2 a possible choice.  Then it's a win win for all.

elvisaprice - do you really want to infer that relating my experience in using my retailer as a first point of contact and conduit to Chord puts me in the same league as Trump?

Apr 2, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #14,873 of 15,692

elvisaprice - do you really want to infer that relating my experience in using my retailer as a first point of contact and conduit to Chord puts me in the same league as Trump?

It's a connect the dot drawing.  Do so at your own invocation.

Apr 2, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #14,875 of 15,692
Yes of course we will accept a wire transfer and we have shown over the years that we care about our customers that we are a responsive company to all our customers. However I didn't like the "sick joke " comment an un called for remark. The point I was making was that we have an expensive distribution network with lots of retailers. Simply put we as a a manufacturer shouldnt be handling these issues. We are a small manufacturer and though we will always respond and help an individual customer, this takes time and is valuable resource that in reality as a manufacturer we shouldn't be using by being in direct communication with our own retailers customers, it's they that should be handling this.

John, when my unit first had problems, I contacted your North American distributor - Bluebird Music. They were singularly unhelpful with what could be the cause of my issues. The buck was quickly passed to the retailer. The retailer, took two days to figure out what the process was. Then, they had to, according to them, contact Chord to raise a "GRN" number. This took another day. Then I was instructed to send my unit to the other side of the country to an authorized repair center. I contacted these folks and they didn't even stock the batteries - said they had to get you to send them. And despite quoting a GRN number, they didn't know this was a warranty repair. After this I contacted  you and your first instinct to do the right thing would have kept me a very happy customer. However, when I indicated that there was an issue with the USB by copying you on my correspondence to the repair center, you stated that I had damaged the unit and this was not a warranty issue. I indicated to you that this wasn't the case as the unit had this problem from day one. You told me to get the unit back and send it to you for battery replacement and usb fix and then lectured me about how reliable usb connectors are. I sent it off yesterday after waiting a week to get it back. All in all, I'm without a means of playing music for probably 6 weeks. I am not impressed with your expensive "distribution" network nor your retraction of an initial offer. I recently sold a small manufacturing business after 14 years. My reputation was paramount, and sometimes this involved compensating customers for issues that were not caused by my company. No matter how you define your business (ie. as a manufacturer, designer or engineer), the broader business you are in is delighting your customers no matter what you produce, be that hairpins or expensive audio equipment. As I learned this sometimes involved eating crap. After the fact, I never regretted when it cost me to do the right thing and keep someone happy as the positive online feedback caused new customers to compensate for any losses involved. I learned to view every problem as an opportunity to improve my reputation and relation with customers. Not doing the right thing the first time always bit me in the butt later. Take it or leave it as you will. I wish I could be listening to music right now and continuing to say great things about you and your company. After our e-mail exchange on this matter, you made it very clear that you didn't want to spend any more time on this issue and you created a very unhappy customer. 

Apr 3, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #14,877 of 15,692
John, when my unit first had problems, I contacted your North American distributor - Bluebird Music. They were singularly unhelpful with what could be the cause of my issues. The buck was quickly passed to the retailer. The retailer, took two days to figure out what the process was. Then, they had to, according to them, contact Chord to raise a "GRN" number. This took another day. Then I was instructed to send my unit to the other side of the country to an authorized repair center. I contacted these folks and they didn't even stock the batteries - said they had to get you to send them. And despite quoting a GRN number, they didn't know this was a warranty repair. After this I contacted  you and your first instinct to do the right thing would have kept me a very happy customer. However, when I indicated that there was an issue with the USB by copying you on my correspondence to the repair center, you stated that I had damaged the unit and this was not a warranty issue. I indicated to you that this wasn't the case as the unit had this problem from day one. You told me to get the unit back and send it to you for battery replacement and usb fix and then lectured me about how reliable usb connectors are. I sent it off yesterday after waiting a week to get it back. All in all, I'm without a means of playing music for probably 6 weeks. I am not impressed with your expensive "distribution" network nor your retraction of an initial offer. I recently sold a small manufacturing business after 14 years. My reputation was paramount, and sometimes this involved compensating customers for issues that were not caused by my company. No matter how you define your business (ie. as a manufacturer, designer or engineer), the broader business you are in is delighting your customers no matter what you produce, be that hairpins or expensive audio equipment. As I learned this sometimes involved eating crap. After the fact, I never regretted when it cost me to do the right thing and keep someone happy as the positive online feedback caused new customers to compensate for any losses involved. I learned to view every problem as an opportunity to improve my reputation and relation with customers. Not doing the right thing the first time always bit me in the butt later. Take it or leave it as you will. I wish I could be listening to music right now and continuing to say great things about you and your company. After our e-mail exchange on this matter, you made it very clear that you didn't want to spend any more time on this issue and you created a very unhappy customer. 
You are unhappy yet I personally advised you that we would promptly fix your broken USB and replace your batteries free of charge but it seems this offer was not good enough for you and now you are complaining about us on a public forum. It seems to me that you are being slightly unfair because of a US retailer who did not know the proper procedure for returning a unit. We are aware that we do not have a perfectly responsive US distribution network. We have many new retailers and have to admit that some may not deal with you in the way, you or we would ideally like them too,but being reasonable in your attitude always helps as I'm sure they do care about their customers and will want them to be happy with their service and we will always try to support them but as in your case when the system hasn't worked we will be supportive as in your case I'm sorry that this hasn't assuaged your discontent.

Apr 3, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #14,878 of 15,692
You are unhappy yet I personally advised you that we would promptly fix your broken USB and replace your batteries free of charge but it seems this offer was not good enough for you and now you are complaining about us on a public forum. It seems to me that you are being slightly unfair because of a US retailer who did not know the proper procedure for returning a unit. We are aware that we do not have a perfectly responsive US distribution network. We have many new retailers and have to admit that some may not deal with you in the way, you or we would ideally like them too,but being reasonable in your attitude always helps as I'm sure they do care about their customers and will want them to be happy with their service and we will always try to support them but as in your case when the system hasn't worked we will be supportive as in your case I'm sorry that this hasn't assuaged your discontent.

Everyone has their stories. When my DAVE had an issue, I PMed Rob Watts. He told me that my issue was rare (he had never seen it), and without even asking about warranty or anything like that told me to try contacting my retailer for help, and if the retailer was unresponsive for any reason, to get back to him and he would immediately sort it out for me.

It looks like John's response is sincere, well-meaning, and about the best he can do. Can't comment as to what happened between you and him previously, but from my own experiences with Chord, and from his response here, it looks like he has his heart in the right place!

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #14,879 of 15,692

John, a part of me is ok with your response above and part isn't. The part that isn't is the one  you left out where your initial response was we'll replace the unit and send you a new one. I don't know why you quickly changed your mind on that. Maybe you regretted your initial generosity and looked for an out - the out being a loose usb. I can't fathom how this changed your mind and accuse me of damaging the unit. I told you, the only reason I asked for the usb to be fixed was that the unit was in for battery replacement anyway and was working fine despite being sensitive to being jarred. No one likes to be accused of something they didn't do and have something they are promised quickly removed. Had you not made that initial commitment, I would probably be somewhat satisfied with your battery replacement offer (I contend the usb is covered by warranty). Now I'm at your mercy and hope you stick to this commitment. I  responded initially to someone in this thread who made a ridiculous statement that based on the number of posts on sites like this, the number of battery failures was minimal. I felt it necessary to add a data point to this. An then unfortunately given the provocations made by your loyal forum members, I got more mad.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back