Chord Hugo
Nov 15, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #12,421 of 15,694
For what's it's worth I think both sound excellent but I think the Questyle QPR1 just beats them in sound quality.

That being QP1R into Hugo vs QP1R alone? How would you describe the changes? I was also very impressed with QP1R at London Canjam, my favourite stand-alone DAP.

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #12,422 of 15,694
That being QP1R into Hugo vs QP1R alone? How would you describe the changes? I was also very impressed with QP1R at London Canjam, my favourite stand-alone DAP.

Yes, QP1R alone. It is the most dynamic player I have ever heard. I returned an AK380 because I much preferred the QP1R.
I do like the Mojo and Hugo as well using my AK240 and AK100 but the QP1 has the edge.

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #12,423 of 15,694
Has your Hugo sounded better over the long term? I feel mine has improved a lot over the 18 months or so I've had it. I'm thinking it may need break in sort of like the Yggy. I did feel it was high pitched for a long while, but now I don't, and I it also just seems better all around, with better bass, definition at all frequencies, and just more relaxed. Am I imagining things or is this break in for real in anyone's experience.
(I main use it through an external amp, so I'm talking about the DAC capabilities. I should try the Hugo amp too some more I guess...)

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #12,424 of 15,694
  Has your Hugo sounded better over the long term? I feel mine has improved a lot over the 18 months or so I've had it. I'm thinking it may need break in sort of like the Yggy. I did feel it was high pitched for a long while, but now I don't, and I it also just seems better all around, with better bass, definition at all frequencies, and just more relaxed. Am I imagining things or is this break in for real in anyone's experience.
(I main use it through an external amp, so I'm talking about the DAC capabilities. I should try the Hugo amp too some more I guess...)

You're actually still using the Hugo amp even when driving an external amp.  I don't trust my ears for long-term burn-in observations, due to the fickleness of audio memory, but, I feel that my IEMs  were a bit shrill earlier with the H.  But, I do enjoy them more, now.  Hugo or IEM burn-in, or imagination?
I haven't done an A/B with the QP1r, yet.  But I use both in different listening situations-Hugo on my desktop, QP everywhere else.
That's made me ponder on picking up a CMA800R to pair with Hugo at some time in the far future. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #12,425 of 15,694
Hi all,

Just got the Chord Hugo. Was originally going to go black, but after playing with the silver for a bit, the black seemed dull.

Spent a good hour demoing the Mojo and Hugo, having a tough time deciding which one to get.

The interference I was getting from the Mojo was what swayed me to the Hugo. Couldn't stand it. The popping, buzzing sounds really shock and hurt the ear. I was thinking what would be the point of using the Mojo on flight mode..

The sound of the Mojo was pretty decent though. 

I've just got a quick question.

May seem silly.. but does the Chord mojo stream to headphones? or is bluetooth meant to be the receiver for music playing?

Cheers
James

Nov 19, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #12,426 of 15,694
Apologies if it's blasphemous to be using my iphone 6 plus as a source ( :s ) but just wondering how the HF player works with upsampling mp3 tracks? I've got DSD and FLAC, but it would be cool to upsample vanilla mp3's :)

Can someone please explain the DoP function in the Onkyo HF player app?

I'm using High-Precision DSD 5.6 MHz, but there are also other options DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6 MHZ and non-precision options.

What are all these functions? do they work with the Hugo? Is the EQ setting worth turning on?

Cheers
James 

Nov 19, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #12,427 of 15,694
Hi all,

Just got the Chord Hugo. Was originally going to go black, but after playing with the silver for a bit, the black seemed dull.

Spent a good hour demoing the Mojo and Hugo, having a tough time deciding which one to get.

The interference I was getting from the Mojo was what swayed me to the Hugo. Couldn't stand it. The popping, buzzing sounds really shock and hurt the ear. I was thinking what would be the point of using the Mojo on flight mode..

The sound of the Mojo was pretty decent though. 

I've just got a quick question.

May seem silly.. but does the Chord mojo stream to headphones? or is bluetooth meant to be the receiver for music playing?

Cheers
James

I'm not entirely sure if I understand your question correctly, but while the Hugo has Bluetooth (on the receiving end, so you will stream FROM a source TO the Hugo), the Mojo does not, AFAIK.

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #12,428 of 15,694
I'm not entirely sure if I understand your question correctly, but while the Hugo has Bluetooth (on the receiving end, so you will stream FROM a source TO the Hugo), the Mojo does not, AFAIK.

Thanks for that. Silly me, I was thinking that I would be able to stream to headphones from the Hugo.. (part of the reason I picked the Hugo :p)

Still... awesome sound. Like listening to all my music for the first time.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #12,429 of 15,694
Can the Hugo help me forget my full size system?

Im re posting this as I got no real response in the recommendations thread.  After struggling with my small loft listening room for a few years, I have determined that the space will never have fair let alone good or very good acoustics.  On the positive, this now lets me focus my attention on stepping up my HP set up. I would appreciate any assistance/suggestions or comments.  The goal here is now to obtain a HP system which will make me forget about a full size rig.
For that reason I am focusing on the (IMHO absurdly expensive) Hugo for two reasons.  One, if I go with a transportable dac/amp I will not be restricted to my loft and can use the rig all over the house- particularly if I obtain a set of closed back HPs.  

Second, if the Dac in the Hugo is a good as purported to be, I can also inject it into my regular speaker system, despite the crummy room, for those occasions when I went to escape to the loft.  
I am in need of a good dac anyway although I find my MODI excellent. 

The plan would be to continue to use my trusty two decade old Senn HD600's since I enjoy them a great deal and then add a higher level closed back HP in the near future and if funds allow add a top quality permanent HP tube amp into the loft system.  I thinking about an Ether C or Audeze, depending on how I like each with either the Hugo.

I am concerned that the cost of the Hugo may or may not get me to a subjective level of quality to rival a speaker system. Also has anyone tried the Hugo with the HD600's. Im sure as its a very popular can. So am I on the right track?  Would you advise scrapping the Hugo and trying to score a used IFI Micro amp/dac and allocating the funds now/quicker to a new set of closed cans?  Yes- I have read the Hugu v ifi nano threads

I am also intrigued by the ALO Tube CDM amp/dac but am unsure if the Wolfsan dac in that unit gets to level of the Hugo and or if its “good enough” to use as a dac for my cd player/macbook  and streamer in the speaker system. In other words not that much better the Modi I currently have.

For reference, the majority of listening will be lossless red book rips (with experiments in dsd and hi rez downloads to follow way down the line). I listen to rock, jazz and a lot of hard drive stored live music music which is not always of the best quality. I am not adverse to buying used.  Traditionally, I have favor tube amps, but have also enjoyed the Red Wine Audio and D-sonic Class D type amps.  I don’t mind solid state so long as it does not add to sibilance- which as I hit 50 im getting a little sensitive to. 

So I thank you in advance for any comments, considerations suggestions etc. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #12,430 of 15,694

Im re posting this as I got no real response in the recommendations thread.  After struggling with my small loft listening room for a few years, I have determined that the space will never have fair let alone good or very good acoustics.  On the positive, this now lets me focus my attention on stepping up my HP set up. I would appreciate any assistance/suggestions or comments.  The goal here is now to obtain a HP system which will make me forget about a full size rig.
For that reason I am focusing on the (IMHO absurdly expensive) Hugo for two reasons.  One, if I go with a transportable dac/amp I will not be restricted to my loft and can use the rig all over the house- particularly if I obtain a set of closed back HPs.  

Second, if the Dac in the Hugo is a good as purported to be, I can also inject it into my regular speaker system, despite the crummy room, for those occasions when I went to escape to the loft.  

The plan would be to continue to use my trusty two decade old Senn HD600's since I enjoy them a great deal and then add a higher level closed back HP in the near future and if funds allow add a top quality permanent HP tube amp into the loft system.  I thinking about an Ether C or Audeze, depending on how I like each with either the Hugo.

I am concerned that the cost of the Hugo may or may not get me to a subjective level of quality to rival a speaker system. Also has anyone tried the Hugo with the HD600's. Im sure as its a very popular can. So am I on the right track?  Would you advise scrapping the Hugo and trying to score a used IFI Micro amp/dac and allocating the funds now/quicker to a new set of closed cans?  Yes- I have read the Hugu v ifi nano threads

I am also intrigued by the ALO Tube CDM amp/dac but am unsure if the Wolfsan dac in that unit gets to level of the Hugo and or if its “good enough” to use as a dac for my cd player/macbook  and streamer in the speaker system. In other words not that much better the Modi I currently have.

For reference, the majority of listening will be lossless red book rips (with experiments in dsd and hi rez downloads to follow way down the line). I listen to rock, jazz and a lot of hard drive stored live music music which is not always of the best quality. I am not adverse to buying used.  Traditionally, I have favor tube amps, but have also enjoyed the Red Wine Audio and D-sonic Class D type amps.  I don’t mind solid state so long as it does not add to sibilance- which as I hit 50 im getting a little sensitive to. 

Everyone's perception of sound quality is so unique, it is very difficult to answer some of these questions.  IMO, I can tell you that from a portable standpoint, the Hugo produces the most coherent sound I have heard, smooth sounding without losing any of the detail in the high end, and with relatively tight, low decay bass on the low end.  As I'm sure you know, more than a few reviewers have said that it rivals many better desk top units in DAC quality.  And it's size, though not pocket portable, is great for transporting from room to room.  I have the HD 600, and they are truly a great match.  Maximizes the sound stage, beautiful detail in the upper registers, and smooth mids really bring out the best in vocals.  Bass is not overpowering (I'm not a bass head), but is well balanced with the mids and trebles.  600's really do scale well with the equipment you use, again IMO.  This doesn't answer all your questions, but I hope this helps.

Nov 19, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #12,432 of 15,694

Sadly, they are completely different. On the upside, the Hugo matches my MrSpeakers Alpha Prime perfectly. I have different uses for both. Although I presume the soundstage of the Ether C will even be better than my AP, they do not compare to the soundstage of a full size system. I have Usher Mini Dancer II and they really paint a different picture if I listen centre stage. The AP however, let me listen to a lot more detail. I have a lot of redbook tracks ripped and they sound tremendously detailed through the Hugo/AP pair. For me, the AP are for work and in the bedroom and the Ushers for feeling the music.

You don't need an extra amplifier with the Hugo. They drive my AP quite well. I know some other say that it is insufficient but to me the loudest levels are quite deafening. The Ether C is a lot more efficient so I recon it won't be a problem at all. I am also a little sensitive to sibilance, but as far as I can hear, the Hugo and the AP sound quite natural. The Hugo especially! I think harsh sounds still sound harsh (trumpets,  saxofone) but there is no extra sibilance. When I hear Maria Mena on Victoria, any sibilance sounds quite natural as it is a very close miked recording.

To me, the Hugo is very undervalued. It puts a smile on my face any time I listen to it. It took quite some time form me to eek the best out of it and the other parts of my system, but it is worth the effort. On the other hand, If you want to save funds and already have a MacBook, I really like the output of the MacBook for my Alpha Primes. It is a lot better than my Windows laptop.
To me the value chain is Speakers -> dac -> amplifier -> source if the amplifier is powerful enough.

Just my 2ct.

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #12,433 of 15,694

Maybe. The Mojo + HD800 is giving me a lot of enjoyment, and the Hugo is better.  That said, neither gives me quite as much joy as my speaker system or the HD800 driven by the Yggy + GS-X mk2... but those are more than 2x the cost of the Hugo and 9x the cost of the Mojo.

IMHO (and lots of other people's as well), the Hugo is the best sounding portable DAC/amp on the market. ... and you pay for it.  If you want maximum sound quality and it has to be a portable unit, then Hugo is the choice. If portability isn't a hard requirement, then there are a number of desktop based systems that I think are as good if not better than the Hugo at a same or lower price point. At the cheaper end, I found the Lavry DA-11 headphone jack as compelling as the Hugo with several different headphones. I am sure hardcore Hugo fans would be appalled by this comparison but it was my experience (and several others).

Small plug for the Chord Mojo...it's almost as good as the Hugo, more portable, and 1/4 the cost provided  all you need is optical or USB in which leaves lots of money for more music.

--Mark

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #12,434 of 15,694
  *snip*
To me, the Hugo is very undervalued.
*snip*

I'm sorry, I really mean no offense ... but this has to be the funniest thing I've read all week (and I highly doubt that's going to change over the weekend). In all seriousness, the Hugo is very likely the second most hyped item in the history of Head-fi. I mean, just take a look at this thread! The only thing that I can even begin to fathom might have motivated your statement is the recent shift of attention towards the Mojo, which is now in all probability the single most hyped item in all of Head-fi-dom.

Come to think of it, the only thing that could take this sort of hype to a new level is actually saying it's "undervalued", lol. So, come on, who paid you?
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #12,435 of 15,694

Yes the hype- machine is on full throttle again.

Re Hugo: Undervalued??? Harsh truth: Early adopters always pay a premium!!!!
You can now have the same technology in a smaller size for £400 and don't get me started on the TT.
£3000 for a blown-up Hugo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back