Chord Hugo
Nov 14, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #12,406 of 15,691
Simple question for me

If I get a Hugo, will my Graham Slee Solo be redundant?

I presume the need for the amp will be negated as the Hugo will be better? Reading up it seems there is no benefit to amplifying the output again.

So the Solo is retired, unless the Hugo's digital out via the Solo is best? (Just use the DAC and let the Solo amp it)

Not sure I want to part with it but it will help to finance he Hugo and I can't see the value in it... Or is there still a place to keep the Solo??

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #12,407 of 15,691
I would like to buy another power cord for my Hugo for using it as a source for my stereo. The Hugo has totally given new life to my stereo. 

The distributor here in Japan has not responded to emails asking for service. 

Is a generic power chord of the correct voltage really going to cause any harm? How can I get a decent extra power cord for my Hugo? 

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #12,409 of 15,691
  I would like to buy another power cord for my Hugo for using it as a source for my stereo. The Hugo has totally given new life to my stereo. 

The distributor here in Japan has not responded to emails asking for service. 

Is a generic power chord of the correct voltage really going to cause any harm? How can I get a decent extra power cord for my Hugo? 

I am also looking for a spare Power adapter for my Hugo.

Moon audio sells the adapter for US$49

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #12,411 of 15,691

The power supply appears identical to ones that can be purchased for about $10. Unless there's something special about this power supply, this just makes me inclined to think extremely uncharitable thoughts about either Chord or Moon Audio. 

Sorry, I was just pointing out where you can get it from. 

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #12,413 of 15,691
Thanks for the info.

Sorry, I was just pointing out where you can get it from. 

No need for you to be sorry! And thanks for the info. 

And if there is indeed something in this apparently-generic power adapter that separates it from the $10 ones, I'd be happy to order it. 

It isn't even the money per se, just the assumption that audiophiles will swallow a 5X price increase on a generic item, so there's no reason not to screw 'em where possible. 

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #12,414 of 15,691

No need for you to be sorry! And thanks for the info. 

And if there is indeed something in this apparently-generic power adapter that separates it from the $10 ones, I'd be happy to order it. 

It isn't even the money per se, just the assumption that audiophiles will swallow a 5X price increase on a generic item, so there's no reason not to screw 'em where possible. 

I am actually hoping that they will have a USB charger available as its really inconvenient to carry around an extra plug just for the Hugo when I travel. 

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #12,415 of 15,691
Does anyone else here have experience of both Mojo and Hugo?

In the Mojo thread I am reading that it is the best DAC ever or tat least hat it is better than Hugo. Someone on Amazon UK says they can't tell them apart.

But that doesn't chime with my experiences. Since February I have been listening to digital music via Hugo and Audeze LCD-XC headphones. For the last two weeks I have spent many hours A/Bing Hugo with Mojo. In complex arrangements Hugo seems to present much more detail and a far more 3D sound field. For example, during the Lianne La Havas track Unforgettable on her album Blood there are so many twiddly bits and additional sounds that just totally disappear when using Mojo. Also Mojo's bass seems to lack texture when compared to Hugo.

My findings pacify yet perplex me. I am pacified by knowing that the £1400 I invested in February has not been wasted but perplexed by thinking that since both are based on the same principles and software has Chord deliberately hobbled Mojo only to follow it up with an upgraded solution in the near future?

I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has compared the two at length.

Ian

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #12,416 of 15,691
I am actually hoping that they will have a USB charger available as its really inconvenient to carry around an extra plug just for the Hugo when I travel. 

The charger for Hugo delivers 12 volts and 0.5 (half) an amp. The USB spec. only provides 5 volts.

I would expect any well made charger that delivers to Hugo's requirement but does not exceed it would suffice. However I did contact Chord directly through their website and they sent me one for £21.48 including UK postage. I have never before received such a well taped up package. Obviously that was for a UK type charger (made in China of course), no idea what chargers are supplied for Rest of World.

Ian

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #12,418 of 15,691

In the Mojo thread I am reading that it is the best DAC ever or tat least hat it is better than Hugo. Someone on Amazon UK says they can't tell them apart.

But that doesn't chime with my experiences. Since February I have been listening to digital music via Hugo and Audeze LCD-XC headphones. For the last two weeks I have spent many hours A/Bing Hugo with Mojo. In complex arrangements Hugo seems to present much more detail and a far more 3D sound field. For example, during the Lianne La Havas track Unforgettable on her album Blood there are so many twiddly bits and additional sounds that just totally disappear when using Mojo. Also Mojo's bass seems to lack texture when compared to Hugo.

My findings pacify yet perplex me. I am pacified by knowing that the £1400 I invested in February has not been wasted but perplexed by thinking that since both are based on the same principles and software has Chord deliberately hobbled Mojo only to follow it up with an upgraded solution in the near future?

I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has compared the two at length.

Ian

Hi Ian

I agree with you on most parts: To me the Hugo shows a bit more detail and sounds a bit airier and more threedimensional than the Mojo, also slightly smoother and more refined, although it's not night and day. I don't perceive much difference in bass quality, though, just a minimally (0.2 dB) elevated upper bass with the Mojo.

Nov 15, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #12,419 of 15,691

Ian

Find the Hugo has wider soundstage, little bit airier, and without that touch of warmth added. And thankfully heavier on my lounge coffee table. So yes, for me a better unit with both headphones and iems. Stronger power supply than Mojo. Love Mojo on my bedside rig with iems to fall asleep to☺

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #12,420 of 15,691
Find the Hugo has wider soundstage, little bit airier, and without that touch of warmth added. And thankfully heavier on my lounge coffee table. So yes, for me a better unit with both headphones and iems. Stronger power supply than Mojo. Love Mojo on my bedside rig with iems to fall asleep to☺

The Mojo is an excellent portable addition to most DAPs. But if you have a Hugo apart from the smaller size and ability to charge with a usb cable you don't really need one.
If you think the Hugo sounds better then who cares what others think.
I have both but use in different set ups.
If the Mojo had been out before the Hugo would I still buy the Hugo? Unlikely but it wasn't so there you go.
For what's it's worth I think both sound excellent but I think the Questyle QPR1 just beats them in sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back