Chord Hugo
Feb 28, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #9,796 of 15,694
Outputs

- 1x3.5mm headphone jack
- 2x6.35mm (1/4-inch) headphone jack
- 1x (pair) stereo RCA phono output
- Fully balanced via XLR connectors

Thanks for responding. I was just wondering the the fully balanced XLR connectors (i.e. the same ones used for most balanced headphone amps) can drive headphones, or if they are only for line out.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #9,797 of 15,694
hi m8
In April chord are bringing out the 2qute which is just a desktop dac, which is the Hugo without the headphone amp and batteries,it will only cost £999 saving you £400, and sounds exactly the same as hugo, it also has better inputs for cables at the back, so you can use what cables you like with no problems.also there is a new dac out that you might want 2 hear called the Hegel hd 12.

That's interesting! I was thinking about selling my Bakoon amp and Uberfrost, and replace them with Hugo, but perhaps I'll just sell the DAC and get 2Qute.

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #9,798 of 15,694

Thanks for responding. I was just wondering the the fully balanced XLR connectors (i.e. the same ones used for most balanced headphone amps) can drive headphones, or if they are only for line out.

If it's the same as with the normal Hugo, where line out and headphone out are the same, it should be able to drive headphones. But it may very well be that the balanced design limits it to high-impedance loads.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #9,799 of 15,694
Would it be fine to use the Chord Hugo on a USB hub?

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #9,800 of 15,694
Would it be fine to use the Chord Hugo on a USB hub?

Is there such a thing as a good hub? I defiantly need one but....

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #9,802 of 15,694
Mar 1, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #9,803 of 15,694
Is there such a thing as a good hub? I defiantly need one but....

No idea. I suppose a USB 3.0 USB hub should have enough bandwidth for the Chord Hugo + other devices?

For now I can keep the Chord Hugo on a separate USB 3.0 port on my retina Macbook Pro and keep the other devices on the USB hub so I don't have to deal with this problem for now. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #9,804 of 15,694

Sorry for my english : rise time of the signal

It is inherent in the sampling and frequency. At 44,1 Khz, the time separation beetween 2 consecutive samples is about 1/44100=22 uS (micro second) . In analogic domain, there is no this limitation. The rising edge  is better described. The attack and decay of a sound are more accurate.

Actually there is a very important problem with digital audio and sampling, and it is not about rise time itself, as this is always limited to FS/2, as sampling theory demands a bandwidth limited signal and this will define the rise-time. But the issue is when does the timing of a transient occurs; is it at the beginning of a sample, or 10% between the sample, or at halfway, or towards the next sample. Now this timing uncertainty is resolved by the DAC interpolation filter, and the maths is very simple - use an infinite tap length interpolation FIR filter with a sinc impulse response, and you will absolutely and perfectly recover the original un-sampled bandwidth limited signal. But it will still be bandwidth limited, and this will determine the signal rise time. Now I don't believe rise time per se is important, but the precision that you reconstruct the timing of the edges is radically important subjectively as the ear/brain is very sensitive to timing errors. We talk about timing errors in terms of jitter in terms of pico seconds, but the timing errors can be tens of microseconds long with conventional short tap length filters.

That's why Hugo has over 26,000 taps on the FIR interpolation filter (the longest tap length of any other production DAC at any price), as this sounds much better because the timing errors are much smaller. Indeed, I have been listening to 164,000 tap length filter against 100,000 taps, and you can still hear improvements, so we are a long way from solving this issue. I am clear in my own mind that we do not need infinite tap length filters, but we certainly need much more taps than even 164,000 before one can no longer hear the difference. If you take the view that the sinc impulse response should be 16 bit accurate, then we need about a million taps before the timing problem is resolved. this would them guarantee that the reconstruction in the time domain was 16 bit accurate.

Rob

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #9,806 of 15,694

Actually there is a very important problem with digital audio and sampling, and it is not about rise time itself, as this is always limited to FS/2, as sampling theory demands a bandwidth limited signal and this will define the rise-time. But the issue is when does the timing of a transient occurs; is it at the beginning of a sample, or 10% between the sample, or at halfway, or towards the next sample. Now this timing uncertainty is resolved by the DAC interpolation filter, and the maths is very simple - use an infinite tap length interpolation FIR filter with a sinc impulse response, and you will absolutely and perfectly recover the original un-sampled bandwidth limited signal. But it will still be bandwidth limited, and this will determine the signal rise time. Now I don't believe rise time per se is important, but the precision that you reconstruct the timing of the edges is radically important subjectively as the ear/brain is very sensitive to timing errors. We talk about timing errors in terms of jitter in terms of pico seconds, but the timing errors can be tens of microseconds long with conventional short tap length filters.

That's why Hugo has over 26,000 taps on the FIR interpolation filter (the longest tap length of any other production DAC at any price), as this sounds much better because the timing errors are much smaller. Indeed, I have been listening to 164,000 tap length filter against 100,000 taps, and you can still hear improvements, so we are a long way from solving this issue. I am clear in my own mind that we do not need infinite tap length filters, but we certainly need much more taps than even 164,000 before one can no longer hear the difference. If you take the view that the sinc impulse response should be 16 bit accurate, then we need about a million taps before the timing problem is resolved. this would them guarantee that the reconstruction in the time domain was 16 bit accurate.

Rob

Yes, you are right. Rise time was inappropriate. I was more in a interpolation approach than in the audio sample theory. The rising edge of a signal will be less accurately described if the known samples have time separation larger (time step). It's the reason, one can use some interpolation methods to better describe the time behavior of the signal.

What is the latency of your filtering process ?

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #9,809 of 15,694
Yesterday I hooked my Chord Hugo straight into my Constellation Centaur amp driving Magico S5 speakers (with Chord Sarum Tuned Aray rca cables to amp, and Jena Labs usb from Iphone 6+/Onkyo HF app).  Compared it to my Spiral Groove + Goldfinger Statement turntable + Audio Note SUT + Air Tight Reference tube preamp into Constellation.  So a $2000 dac versus a $50,000 analogue front end.  Also compared to Modwright Sony sacd player into Air Tight preamp, and versus other turntables (e.g., AMG v12 plus Benz LP-S cartridge).  Source on Hugo was Beck Sea Change DSD.  On Modwright gold CD version of Beck Sea Change, and on turntables Beck Sea Change vinyl.  All were Mobile Fidelity editions.

The Hugo was the winner out of all sources on extracting every last bit of detail ...every note articulated and put in place within soundstage (without being analytical).  The Goldfinger/Spiral Groove analogue set up was #2 in detail retrieval.  The Hugo was the direct ticket to the recording studio.  The bass was completely articulate and defined.  

The most musically enjoyable was a more colored (tonally) source -- the AMG v12 turntable with LP-S cartridge (fed into an ARC Ref 2se phono preamp fed into Air Tight Ref 2001 preamp...all fed with NOS tubes like Telefunken and Russian supertubes).

I go into detail on comparative sources, because I am amazed at the absolute clarity to the source that the Hugo provides.  And it is portable for goodness sake -- I just took it on a business trip last week with my Beyerdynamic T1 phones.  And it beats most of my headphone amps that cost in the same ballpark.  My hat continues to be taken off in honor of Chord Electronics and Mr. Watts.  Well done in setting the bar for other manufacturers in footprint, cutting edge performance and value.

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #9,810 of 15,694
  Yesterday I hooked my Chord Hugo straight into my Constellation Centaur amp driving Magico S5 speakers (with Chord Sarum Tuned Aray rca cables to amp, and Jena Labs usb from Iphone 6+/Onkyo HF app).  Compared it to my Spiral Groove + Goldfinger Statement turntable + Audio Note SUT + Air Tight Reference tube preamp into Constellation.  So a $2000 dac versus a $50,000 analogue front end.  Also compared to Modwright Sony sacd player into Air Tight preamp, and versus other turntables (e.g., AMG v12 plus Benz LP-S cartridge).  Source on Hugo was Beck Sea Change DSD.  On Modwright gold CD version of Beck Sea Change, and on turntables Beck Sea Change vinyl.  All were Mobile Fidelity editions.

The Hugo was the winner out of all sources on extracting every last bit of detail ...every note articulated and put in place within soundstage (without being analytical).  The Goldfinger/Spiral Groove analogue set up was #2 in detail retrieval.  The Hugo was the direct ticket to the recording studio.  The bass was completely articulate and defined.  

The most musically enjoyable was a more colored (tonally) source -- the AMG v12 turntable with LP-S cartridge (fed into an ARC Ref 2se phono preamp fed into Air Tight Ref 2001 preamp...all fed with NOS tubes like Telefunken and Russian supertubes).

I go into detail on comparative sources, because I am amazed at the absolute clarity to the source that the Hugo provides.  And it is portable for goodness sake -- I just took it on a business trip last week with my Beyerdynamic T1 phones.  And it beats most of my headphone amps that cost in the same ballpark.  My hat continues to be taken off in honor of Chord Electronics and Mr. Watts.  Well done in setting the bar for other manufacturers in footprint, cutting edge performance and value.

great stuff. I've heard so much about Magico but yet to hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back