Chord Hugo
Jan 25, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #9,466 of 15,694
I have had my Hugo for a year now. No complaints, it is a great product. But for anyone baulking at the price can I recommend the Ifi idsd micro. For a quarter of price I cannot tell which has best sound. Plus with the difference in price you could buy some 846 and still have change.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #9,468 of 15,694
I had an HA1 loaner for two weeks but is not impressed by it driving my hd800, lcd3, or he6. I actually prefer the nfb28 sound over the HA1 (but I love the aesthetic and exterior design of HA1 way better), and prefer Hugo over either (even tho it is way underpowered directly driving the HE6/HD800, I still like the more musical and less strident sound from the Hugo over either of these dacamps).

I don't have the th900 anymore and never owned ps1000 so can't comment on HA1/Hugo pairing with those.

Thanks kkcc! 

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #9,469 of 15,694
Looks like my hugo usb has been officially damaged via constant use. Rob, will you be looking at the usb? It seems I'm not the isolated case. I'm still trying to get it fixed via the singapore distributr for the past 2 seems. Is there any toslink dap that can stream spotify? If the usb is that weak, I would like to use other inputs.

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #9,470 of 15,694
Looks like my hugo usb has been officially damaged via constant use. Rob, will you be looking at the usb? It seems I'm not the isolated case. I'm still trying to get it fixed via the singapore distributr for the past 2 seems. Is there any toslink dap that can stream spotify? If the usb is that weak, I would like to use other inputs.

There are two micro ports, are they both damaged? Tried different cables. How have you damaged it?

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #9,472 of 15,694
Those design flaws were known issues as mentioned here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702787/chord-hugo/8730#post_11022789

Chord have been producing "upside down" USB Hugo's for some months. They are new USB connectors, which have solderable pins. This means the connector is soldered at the top of the PCB and the bottom of the PCB via the connector pins, making it impossible to break the USB connector from the PCB. This mod had no difference to SQ.

Rob

54c09da9828e1.jpg

54c09dacdb814.jpg

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #9,473 of 15,694
There are two micro ports, are they both damaged? Tried different cables. How have you damaged it?

I used a otg cable to plug to my LG g3. It stops playing after a couple of months usage. Hd usb, I couldn't even get it to work in the first place. I tried different dap and different cables as suggested but it still can't play.

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #9,474 of 15,694

This adapter looks like it was designed to break the Hugo's USB ports. It would be fine at home, but I hope you didn't use this OTG...

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #9,475 of 15,694
  This adapter looks like it was designed to break the Hugo's USB ports. It would be fine at home, but I hope you didn't use this OTG...

Well, actually they were two different orientations

548534b12a49e.jpg

The original PCB was like London Bridge is Falling Down

TB2y642aVXXXXa6XpXXXXXXXXXX-737782359.jpg

As long as we don't try to do anything silly intentionally, latest PCB should be theoretically unbreakable according to Rob.

We could clearly see the difference in the orientation and it's the exact opposite when compared to the picture above

54c5d94728e19.jpg

Basically we'll simply check that orientation before we purchase new ones, don't buy anything with the original PCB so both micro USB inputs are OK with the latest revision.

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #9,477 of 15,694

Well, actually they were two different orientations

548534b12a49e.jpg

The original PCB was like London Bridge is Falling Down

TB2y642aVXXXXa6XpXXXXXXXXXX-737782359.jpg

As long as we don't try to do anything silly intentionally, latest PCB should be theoretically unbreakable according to Rob.

We could clearly see the difference in the orientation and it's the exact opposite when compared to the picture above

54c5d94728e19.jpg

Basically we'll simply check that orientation before we purchase new ones, don't buy anything with the original PCB so both micro USB inputs are OK with the latest revision.

I have a black Hugo, but the USBs are aligned the same way as your silver model pic. Should I be worried about this?

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #9,478 of 15,694

I have a black Hugo, but the USBs are aligned the same way as your silver model pic. Should I be worried about this?

Very few of the old style actually failed, so as long as you are careful, and are gentle with plugging it in an out, it will last forever.

Chord told me this morning that the new style USB had no failures, and they have shipped thousands of the new type.

Rob

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #9,479 of 15,694
  Very few of the old style actually failed, so as long as you are careful, and are gentle with plugging it in an out, it will last forever.

Chord told me this morning that the new style USB had no failures, and they have shipped thousands of the new type.

Rob

Thanks for the swift response, Rob. I had thought that the black model, coming much later, would have had the later revision board.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #9,480 of 15,694

Rob

Thanks for the swift response, Rob. I had thought that the black model, coming much later, would have had the later revision board.

I guess it would depend on the distributors inventory of first in first out. I just bought a new black hugo and have the new board as described above. Guess I'm happy about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back