Chord Hugo
Nov 5, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #8,732 of 15,694
I have bought pulse transformers below and put them in my coax cable like below.
The transformers I used are Murata DA100 series (http://www.murata-ps.com/data/magnetics/kmp_da100.pdf)
They are all about $2 each in Japan but gave pretty big sound changes... especially DA101C.
I'm still testing those and trying to figure out if the changes are enhancements or adding something artificial.

I use my Linn Akurate DS as a source to Hugo and since Akurate already has a pulse transformer inside, adding another on in the cable may not be correct thing to do. But it is obvious that the sound does change.

Would appreciate your experiences using those.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #8,734 of 15,694
I noticed that the new case Hugo has the USB connectors rotated 180 degrees. Not sure what the impact is.

Chord have been producing "upside down" USB Hugo's for some months. They are new USB connectors, which have solderable pins. This means the connector is soldered at the top of the PCB and the bottom of the PCB via the connector pins, making it impossible to break the USB connector from the PCB. This mod had no difference to SQ.

Rob 

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #8,735 of 15,694
  Chord have been producing "upside down" USB Hugo's for some months. They are new USB connectors, which have solderable pins. This means the connector is soldered at the top of the PCB and the bottom of the PCB via the connector pins, making it impossible to break the USB connector from the PCB. This mod had no difference to SQ.

Rob 

Oh nice to know....thanks Rob. 

On another note i tried an old computer like CD player back in 80's as a transport (bought it for $20) with a Nordost digital cable connected to my Hugo. Was very impressed. More detailed, better timing of instruments and overall more musical.

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #8,736 of 15,694
  on  a side note are you using Hugo as the Dac instead of the AKurate's internal DAC? Are you connecting to spdif? Have you compared it with a mac and a good USB cable?

thanks

I'm using Hugo as a DAC + amplifier to drive my speakers. This is not my permanent setup but I do really enjoy Hugo driving my speakers directly. When doing so, I use Akurate's spdif output.
I have compared the spdif input from Akurate with the USB output from my iPhone5s. Actually, the SQ was very similar and I could hardly hear the difference. Akurate was slightly better in smoothness and sound stage depth. Hope this clarifies.

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #8,739 of 15,694
I did some research and pulled the trigger on a WiredWorld Super Nova 7, 0.5m Toslink cable. Anyone else have one? I was not prepared for this.

I’ve always wondered if my multi-stage routed home wireless LAN, with NAS, wireless LED lighting, Airplay, etc… - just so much interference flying through the air - had an effect despite my preventive measures. 

Just running Red Book, everything is (so much more) tight and controlled, rich, open, dymnamic, transparent, beautiful. The bass is so taught it almost is crunchy. In a very good way. Mids ooze endlessly, and the tranparency up top is remarkable. I can hear that there was distortion that is just gone now. This is the best I’ve ever heard Hugo. That includes of any DSD, or running hi-res USB through AP2+PurePower with a Synergistic Research USB, or Heimdall, or Cardas, or anything. Enrapturing, expansive 

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #8,740 of 15,694
I did some research and pulled the trigger on a WiredWorld Super Nova 7, 0.5m Toslink cable. Anyone else have one? I was not prepared for this.

I’ve always wondered if my multi-stage routed home wireless LAN, with NAS, wireless LED lighting, Airplay, etc… - just so much interference flying through the air - had an effect despite my preventive measures. 

Just running Red Book, everything is (so much more) tight and controlled, rich, open, dymnamic, transparent, beautiful. The bass is so taught it almost is crunchy. In a very good way. Mids ooze endlessly, and the tranparency up top is remarkable. I can hear that there was distortion that is just gone now. This is the best I’ve ever heard Hugo. That includes of any DSD, or running hi-res USB through AP2+PurePower with a Synergistic Research USB, or Heimdall, or Cardas, or anything. Enrapturing, expansive 
hi m8 how did you manage 2 fit the super nova 7 into the Hugo?

Nov 8, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #8,741 of 15,694
While waiting for my Eddie Curent  445 desktop tube headphone amp to arrive, I just received his (very) little brother: a TUR-06  
biggrin.gif

very nice complement to the HUGO !   Warmer sound but still precise...

So, now, "on the go" or at home, I will be "all tube"

YES:  AK100 > HUGO > TUR-06 tube amp  :)

Just need to do some tube rolling now to find the perfect match... 
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #8,742 of 15,694
Quote:

Sorry mate, just to clarify,
All these amazing improvements are compared to a standard toslink cable? or a USB connection? What were you using before?

Thanks!

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #8,743 of 15,694
  Quote:

Sorry mate, just to clarify,
All these amazing improvements are compared to a standard toslink cable? or a USB connection? What were you using before?

Thanks!

I was using various combinations of USB, and USB to coax via an Audiophileo2 + PurePower battery pack. And yes, I do believe the Super Nova 7 is the best optical/Toslink I've heard yet.

hi m8 how did you manage 2 fit the super nova 7 into the Hugo?

I meant to include some of this. I’m well aware of the popular idea that a more snug fit on optical is better. It makes sense. Maybe that’s the only reason it is popular; it just makes sense. So when none of the top optical cables would fit my first gen Hugo, I decided to do an experiment. Using 4 different optical cables, only one of them clicked in all the way. The stock Hugo cable, which actually sounded the worst. The other three fit to varying depths. The Super Nova fits pretty deeply. On all of the cables, I would critically listen and slide the cable, very slowly, all the way out. I could discern no appreciable difference with actively varying the insertion depth. I blatantly therefore assume that if it does not get worse with increased depth, it likewise does not get better with a closer fit. Especially since I am able to simulate increasing depth by pushing in instead of pulling out. thats what she said
Still to no discernible effect.

All of the cables, at all depths sounded and behaved as you would expect a fully plugged in cable to sound like, until the termination slipped out of the jack breaking the connection.
I considered that I was in fact not getting a correct connection, and what I heard was a distortion that I simply preferred. So I ran some test tracks, and results were conclusive to me across optical cables, and as compared to USB.

So my Super Nova, my AQ Cinammon, they don’t seat quite all the way, but the WireWorld sounds fantastic. If it gets even better with deeper insertion depth, it would blow USB out of the water 7 ways till Sunday. I can’t imagine.

I think as an “audiophile,” when you stop concentrating on how something is supposed to be, and you remember to just relax and enjoy the music, that’s when the real magic happens.

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #8,744 of 15,694
While waiting for my Eddie Curent  445 desktop tube headphone amp to arrive, I just received his (very) little brother: a TUR-06  :D

very nice complement to the HUGO !   Warmer sound but still precise...

So, now, "on the go" or at home, I will be "all tube"

YES:  AK100 > HUGO > TUR-06 tube amp  :)

Just need to do some tube rolling now to find the perfect match... :D

Very cool looking setup sir. I like the precise quality of your interconnect cables. Now all you need is some giant Audeze hp's to walk around with your portable tubes. Do you know anybody whose got some good champagne?

Nov 8, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #8,745 of 15,694
Thanks Mate,
very interesting insight, I use a Van den Hull Toslink cable and never thought the cables matters for Optical connections.
Can I ask you what your cable is connected to? One side obviously goes to the Hugo but the source? Is this a streamer or a computer? if so what audio card?

Thanks mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back