Chord Hugo
Sep 21, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #8,297 of 15,694
 I hear differences which I prefer using the AP1SE & PP.

Some notes:

When I ordered it Philip told me that he had just made some improvements to the PP. I prefer running an coax cable rather than directly connecting it. I also had issues with the sound cutting out due to a ill fitting BNC connectors.

I initial tried a 1m coax cable and ended up with 1.5m as it sounded better. The fact that the Nordost cable connects very well to the AP1 with its BNC connectors and the supplied true 75ohm gold plated RCA to the Hugo, would have helped no doubt.

What did it add?

It added a magical quality to the Hugo with more air and less underlying noise, although Hugo is excellent using the HD USB input I found the sound to be just a little hard. The AP1 combo gave it a flowing euphonic quality and lifted it to another level of performance.

Is it worth the $2,000 spend?  I don't want to get into that argument. I was chasing the ultimate performance out of my Hugo. I feel that I have achieved that.

I am enjoying my music so much as a result of Hugo that I have decided to buy an end game DAC which arrives in 2 weeks. When the new QBD becomes available I will try that as well as I am enjoying the Chord house sound.

Looks like the direction I will be going. 

Worth the $ or not I won't comment but if its what I'm looking for... I think it is a worthwhile investments and a good foundation for any system. Spending $5000 on an amp that we can't get everything out of it is worthless IMO. A Thai guy just drop a cool EUR100,000.00 on Zensati home theatre cable, so...

BTW, what is your end game DAC?

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #8,299 of 15,694

I hear differences which I prefer using the AP1SE & PP.

Some notes:

When I ordered it Philip told me that he had just made some improvements to the PP. I prefer running an coax cable rather than directly connecting it. I also had issues with the sound cutting out due to a ill fitting BNC connectors.

I initial tried a 1m coax cable and ended up with 1.5m as it sounded better. The fact that the Nordost cable connects very well to the AP1 with its BNC connectors and the supplied true 75ohm gold plated RCA to the Hugo, would have helped no doubt.

What did it add?

It added a magical quality to the Hugo with more air and less underlying noise, although Hugo is excellent using the HD USB input I found the sound to be just a little hard. The AP1 combo gave it a flowing euphonic quality and lifted it to another level of performance.

Is it worth the $2,000 spend?  I don't want to get into that argument. I was chasing the ultimate performance out of my Hugo. I feel that I have achieved that.

I am enjoying my music so much as a result of Hugo that I have decided to buy an end game DAC which arrives in 2 weeks. When the new QBD becomes available I will try that as well as I am enjoying the Chord house sound.

Looks like the direction I will be going. 

Worth the $ or not I won't comment but if its what I'm looking for... I think it is a worthwhile investments and a good foundation for any system. Spending $5000 on an amp that we can't get everything out of it is worthless IMO. A Thai guy just drop a cool EUR100,000.00 on Zensati home theatre cable, so...

BTW, what is your end game DAC?

That was my intention also, the AP1 may assist in other DAC's to reach a higher level of performance.

I have ordered the Computer Audio Design DAC and CAT (transport/streamer) so I can get away from using the MacBook as a source. I will have a Chord DSX1000 to audition this week, which will be interesting.

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #8,300 of 15,694
Does the Heimdall2 RCA fit into Hugo RCA's ?
It looks like you are using an adapter ...

Yes the IC's fit no problem. The Coax cable comes with BNC connectors as well as its own true 75Ohm RCA connectors which fit Hugo nicely.

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #8,301 of 15,694
Can someone help. I tried the Hugo yesterday with $2.00 iems through usb async running Jriver and I am hearing hiss and crackling (especially when bass comes in). Also, in Bluetooth a2dp function, volume barely gets loud even set to max. I'm not sure if this is my computer and modems fault..

I also noticed this when I connected the Hugo straight to run a pair of speakers and at moderate volume I was hearing distortion (using digital optical this time) but I thought it was due to sensitivity of my speakers, but I am not so sure right now.

Can someone tell me how I can tell for sure if the amp section of Hugo have been blown without a/b with another hugo?

Thanks.

Sep 21, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #8,302 of 15,694
This is really strange but I powered off the Hugo for the first time in a month and the hiss is gone and Bluetooth a2rp. Is working fine.. I had it running charged at all times with a charger.. I'm gonna look into it a bit further but still have no idea what caused this...

EDIT - I'm now also getting much higher SPL without distortion with my speakers as well.

Sep 22, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #8,307 of 15,694
Hello, 

I'm considering to get the Hugo for the following set up: MacAir > Hugo (via bluetooth) > NAIM amp

=> Does Hugo's bluetooth handles 24/ 96 format? If not, what's the maximum?

Many thanks in advance!

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #8,310 of 15,694
On a side note is someone able to explain something to me. Perhaps if Rob Watts reads this post he might be able to explain.
I have the Chord Hugo and another desktop DAC.
I am using JRiver media center with WASAPI for both the DACs.

With the Chord Hugo, the Windows System Volume has no effect. I can change the Windows System Volume all day and it has not effect on the volume and playback through the Hugo.
The other DAC does not bypass the Windows System Volume. I have to set the system volume at 100% for bit-transparent playback (easily verified with this DAC).
I'm ok with that. It is not a big deal.

But isn't WASAPI supposed to bypass the system volume all the time regardless of the DAC?
Or is this some implementation specific thing or something else?

Thanks for anyone that can shed some light. I've asked in many places and no one is able to give me a direct answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back