Chord Hugo
Jul 26, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #7,051 of 15,694
ALRAINBOW can relieve his pain and suffering by selling his Chord to me at a proper head-fi members price.

What pain?

He clearly has said he liked it several times and uses it daily. Is this thread only for those who genuflect to the Hugo?

You have not heard the other stuff he compared it to, so please chill. I finally did and now see clearly what he says.

It does not make it a bad Dac, just worse than some others he has. Based on what I hear, when that digital board is paired with a proper desktop setup (power supply, elaborate analog output section), it will be a true high end contender, as most of the current limitations will melt away.

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #7,052 of 15,694
The point is a lot of us bought Hugo mainly because we had heard it in person with our own gear and was excited the idea of high end doing head fi related stuff and also its portable!
Not many of us have this belief that it can wipe out all DACs in this universe, so why do we deserve to read on every single page of this thread how other super expensive DAC sound better when clearly those gears were not in our consideration in the first place? What are we here to prove and why need to be so insecure about your possession? I think we should focus more on sharings on Hugo.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #7,054 of 15,694
Sorry, based on what I have read right here, many were indeed proclaiming that it did wipe the floor with all Dacs and that the game was permanently changed. That may happen with the QBD update, but the Hugo as is cant do it. If I didnt hear for myself, I may have believed the OVERhype.

Plain truth, even if bad manners.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #7,055 of 15,694
It's not about me looking for. A uber dac it's about design criterior being put in place. I guess I am wring but I feel he feels dsd is not good so the Prut does seem to have effort in this type of playback. And the vinyl comment is just wrong on so many levels but again it's all,opinions . That's my point but this seems to upset some people so I will stop and go away for a while
Al
AL, I personally don't own a Hugo yet, still saving up the scratch. But I do respect your right to have an opinion on the Hugo, be it good or bad.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #7,056 of 15,694
  Sorry, based on what I have read right here, many were indeed proclaiming that it did wipe the floor with all Dacs and that the game was permanently changed. That may happen with the QBD update, but the Hugo as is cant do it. If I didnt hear for myself, I may have believed the OVERhype.

End of the day, the only thing that matters to me is what it does for my music - that's it. I couldnt give a fig re comparisons at this point in time, 

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #7,057 of 15,694
Cmon... AL is comparing the Hugo to the lampi Big 7 and MSB... AL if you like analog so much why not just get the MSB Analog DAC?

Your talking 20k systems when rest of us are in the 10K range tops..

Wisnon and and AL you know i heard the big 7 lampi and now have the hugo..

One thing that is different to me is..

For the lampi big 7, you dont have to reach for it to find music.. it just sort of comed to you naturally. What i mean is, you can get a person on the street who dosent care about music and just listens to it casually in his car, be wowed and make him start looking into the audiophille world, and actually give him a thought of saving up for it. This is someone whos just a casual listener through his 10.00 sony boombox kets just say... and that says alot.

For me, i cant listen and enjoy dufferent genres and songs of music for hours... we all have our favorite tracks.. i play same tracks repeadedly over and over most of the time..

The lampi would actually get you to enjoy all music.. its really that good. Its the first dac that made music just flow and more interestingly, just made me listen to music for hours straight without getting bored of it and moving onto something else like watch movies or surf the web etc..

Hugo for me gets it right in alot of places. Instruments have plentynof air and vocals like AL said are a little bit emphasised.. which for me got me to concentrate in music and plenty emotional..

Both Lampi and Hugo do it in different ways, but for me they both gets you engaged in sound.

Lampi gets you totally involved whereas Hugo i am still doing some thinking about other **** while listening to music like work, chores for the day, what to do tmr etc...

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #7,058 of 15,694
The reason i didnt get Lampi is, Hugo dosent when i listen to it dosent make me feel like i am missing out on anything...it sounds complete so you can settle. Ofcourse it would be better if i had a Lampi 7, but it also costs more, which would mean id have to save up etc and blah.. dont have patience for it.

After all, if you feel like you are not missing out, i think that should do it. On top of that, convinience for me is key and i can just stream spotify through AptX on my samsung notebook to Hugo and it sounds great...

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #7,059 of 15,694

Wrong, Hugo is the best
tongue.gif

Hey, I thought we were agreeing
wink_face.gif

Jul 27, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #7,060 of 15,694
Al is correct in many ways....

The Lampi, MSB and DS are three great Dac's for sure.  In. particular the Lampi Big 7 and the MSB are honestly amazing and the sound is totally engaging.  When I'm listening, I'm mentally taken to a different place and I'm physically and emotionally engaged in the music sometimes really completely immersed!  It would make me glad (and worth every penny) that I spent the money (justified) on a real end-game system like that.  For example listening to the voice of a Nora Jones recording is nothing short of AMAZING.  Every breath she takes, the undulation, expression, voice articulation and inference of her forming the actual words from her lips to my ears is a blessing.  I'm at the mic no I'm hearing it as if I was the mic.  Can I hear it represented the same way with the Hugo... NO I CAN'T and it's very apparent from the moment you start comparing.  You don't need to be an audiophile.  I think one of Al's points (forgive me if I'm out of step Al) is that as the Hugo thread was going along (earlier) and the Hugo was "hailed" as one of the ultimate dac's and it was compared to the Direct Stream and some others...  I think Al was just trying to say "hey wait a minute here it's a damn good portable dac but let's not loose site of what it really is".  
To me at the end of the day the Hugo is an amazing piece of equipment and I'm damn proud to own it as it's an integral part of my portable rig set-up.  Nothing at this price point gets even close and yes its a "game changer" in it's respective product grouping!  I honestly don't like to carry into work almost 8k in portable gear each day to listen to music but I'm proud and emotionally engaged and connected to my rig....
Sincerely
-Speedracer1 

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #7,061 of 15,694
Mention Diana Krall or Alison Krauss and I'm opening a vein - it's been that kind of Sunday ....... even the Hugo can't save us from audiophile cliches. Oh, and Sade is off limits too  :wink:

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #7,062 of 15,694
Yes speedracer is correct with lampi big 7. Thats how i felt listening to lampi. You are just totally immersed with just music... nothing else. And you dont force it, it just comes naturally. Maybe its due to the right tonal balance and the hugest soundstage it provides front to back and side to side without any fatigur whatsoever (being tube dac ofcourse) yet still has some solid state pros like being clean at the same time. Its just a great dac that just sounds right.

I tnink AL and wisnon being dsd lovers, they are not giving hugo so much credit. AL is actually considering pcm revordings in his posts, but it seems like AL from the latest posts is has fixed on judging dacs on dsd files mostly. I dont think he realizes but dsd is like his second nature it seems like...

Most of my sources are 44.1 and hugo plays it best than any other dac i have heard at price range and upto maybe even 4k..

Jul 27, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #7,064 of 15,694
Al is correct in many ways....

The Lampi, MSB and DS are three great Dac's for sure.  In. particular the Lampi Big 7 and the MSB are honestly amazing and the sound is totally engaging.  When I'm listening, I'm mentally taken to a different place and I'm physically and emotionally engaged in the music sometimes really completely immersed!  It would make me glad (and worth every penny) that I spent the money (justified) on a real end-game system like that.  For example listening to the voice of a Nora Jones recording is nothing short of AMAZING.  Every breath she takes, the undulation, expression, voice articulation and inference of her forming the actual words from her lips to my ears is a blessing.  I'm at the mic no I'm hearing it as if I was the mic.  Can I hear it represented the same way with the Hugo... NO I CAN'T and it's very apparent from the moment you start comparing.  You don't need to be an audiophile.  I think one of Al's points (forgive me if I'm out of step Al) is that as the Hugo thread was going along (earlier) and the Hugo was "hailed" as one of the ultimate dac's and it was compared to the Direct Stream and some others...  I think Al was just trying to say "hey wait a minute here it's a damn good portable dac but let's not loose site of what it really is".  
To me at the end of the day the Hugo is an amazing piece of equipment and I'm damn proud to own it as it's an integral part of my portable rig set-up.  Nothing at this price point gets even close and yes its a "game changer" in it's respective product grouping!  I honestly don't like to carry into work almost 8k in portable gear each day to listen to music but I'm proud and emotionally engaged and connected to my rig....
Sincerely
-Speedracer1 

I think he repeated it too much. Some may find it annoying since this is hugo thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back