Chord Hugo
Jul 2, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #5,942 of 15,694
Yes it does. This is normal I am sure. There is a lot going on inside
There. I think it sounds better when it gets warm
I think it is a great portable device and a really good desk top
I have not connected it to speakers as yet
But I am sure it will sound very good. Let's not make claims
Of comparisons to other devices here. It's a overall great product but it's not cheap
I do look froward to a desk top model.
Chord has a nice music server I heard. Does anybody know what is inside
Is it robs design as in FPGA.
AL

According to Chord's website, the DSX1000 has "The latest-generation Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) architecture found inside the DSX1000, is the same advanced technology used in the highly acclaimed QBD76 HDSD DAC and the Red Reference MkIII CD player" however, we now know that the Hugo has the latest-generation FPGA architecture, but not having heard either, I can't say if one is better than the other.

Nevertheless, I'm interested in auditioning it and seeing how it compares to my Linn Klimax DS/1, but I'm not sure how I can pull this off since there are no Chord dealers in Seattle.  I do plan on getting a Hugo for "on the go" and can play around with it both in my desktop system as well as the main rig; it will make for an interesting afternoon or two.

Jul 2, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #5,943 of 15,694
According to Chord's website, the DSX1000 has "The latest-generation Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) architecture found inside the DSX1000, is the same advanced technology used in the highly acclaimed QBD76 HDSD DAC and the Red Reference MkIII CD player" however, we now know that the Hugo has the latest-generation FPGA architecture, but not having heard either, I can't say if one is better than the other.

Nevertheless, I'm interested in auditioning it and seeing how it compares to my Linn Klimax DS/1, but I'm not sure how I can pull this off since there are no Chord dealers in Seattle.  I do plan on getting a Hugo for "on the go" and can play around with it both in my desktop system as well as the main rig; it will make for an interesting afternoon or two.

Thanks I heard it once already for a while my music but not my system so hard to give a ya or na. It was very good though. As I am a believer of hear it with your music and your system I am not done as yet. Also I have some other nice stuff too so the comparison is a tough one. I have a loaded msb stack , a ps audio DS and last is my lampizator B7.
I also have Krell music server but I find a caps is still better over USB for me. It did have the sound of a great DAC though very pleasing and extremely focused without glare . Relaxed but right there . And it's looks is cool too. Now looks wise i hate the msb and lampizator equal . But sound wise there tops so far. The DS is very much like the Hugo but more refined at the great points the Hugo has. Anyway thanks for the info.
Al

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #5,944 of 15,694
  On the Bluetooth input seem like could connect to Sony Xperia  Z1 ( with suppose with APT-x ) but get a non-audible noise, however the BT work fine with Apple Itouch 64g (old version I think 2nd generation). 

Same for me, I can connect, but as soon as I play I get noise rather than the song.

The iPod doesn't support apt-x out of the box, so thats likely why is is fine.

I can connect my Senn apt-x iPod doc converter to the Hugo with no issue, but its weird the Ultra wont play ball.

My ultra works with apt-x headphones and speakers I own, so its odd.

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #5,945 of 15,694
quick question do u experience that the hugo heats up after use 

Not concerningly so, have certainly experienced portable devices getting warmer e.g. the clas dB DAC if you WiFi on your idevice!

A dealer told me Chord run their products warm and you can verify this with shop floor demo units that have been left on

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #5,947 of 15,694
I have a simple question . I have read that MSB also makes chips or whatever for DAC companies or something I thought was in audio. Does anybody know what or for who .
Just asking
Al

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #5,949 of 15,694
i hope i will not get bashed here, but the chord hugo with shure se846 i think don't work well, I feel with the shure 846 that the mids and highs are bright and in most songs I need to turn down the volume, I tried the shure with ( fiio x5 and ifi ican nano) which seemed less bright and I can use the bass boost in ifi ican nano to add more punch in low ends.

I ordered more earbud tips maybe I have a seal issue.

But with audeze the hugo is amazing

of course the shure without hugo on iPod is not also amazing, maybe i am too sensitive in mid and highs area

i tried changing filters and using black filters but did not help 

one thing i wished for in hugo is adding a bass boost, as all eq in apps wither iOS or android are bad

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #5,951 of 15,694
@hykhleif you are entitled to your opinion!!! Definitely goes against the grain of this thread, but doesn't mean it's "wrong" or invalid.

don't get me wrong but i believe my issue is with the sound sig of shure and not the hugo as the hugo is an amazing device

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #5,952 of 15,694
I don't own either the Hugo,or the 846'syet.I'm very interested in this combo,and have been in touch with a couple of people who own
both.I'm assured that the sound is "very analogue,zero sibilance or digital flare,slightly lush with great extension at both ends",also
"very musical" and " absolutely no hiss" The Shures on their own are reported as being anything but bright.I'm sure if there's a lack of
efficient seal,the sound will be a lot brighter.

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #5,953 of 15,694
That is why I made my fitear tg 334 into custom. The sound varied too much from tip to tip.
And the only one that fit constantly was a triple ring silicon
I guess I was ear raped as a kid or something. Anyway the constant fiddling
Got annoying 150 bucks later to UM and they were done. And they sound great with the Hugo too
Al

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #5,954 of 15,694
Doesn't the light harmonic davinci use ess chips? I haven't heard anyone trying to say the hugo is anywhere near the level of the davinci. Lots of different implementations of ess chips. Personally I think there isn't inherently anything wrong with ess chips. There is a reason why they took over the market. But I think dacs using same dac chips get voiced similarly. As I have been playing with ess dacs for a while now, I find little reason/excitement in finding another ess implementation. Hence my interest in dacs like hugo, lamp, msb, ps audio, etc. The chances for a real jump in performance is more likely. However don't interprete this as saying that the ess chips are bad. Ess has boat loads of ridiculously talented engineers and I would guess several times (if not 50 times) the engineering capability of someone like a chord. The ess is voiced in a certain way and is designed to meet a mass market which makes it suffer from the need to appeal to everyone or sound bad to least amount of people issue at correct price/performance. The reality is that ess is big enough that they could do similar high tap count implementations in hard coded silicon which would be more capable than their FPGA cousins and anything chord could do. The recent FPGA improvements have only narrowed the gap. But maybe it wouldn't be immediately appealing or be too expensive or whatever or they are stuck in different paradigm. Rob watts has lots of unique experience with his innovations around taps, but if ess thought putting in 2-4x of taps was worth it, they could do it relatively short order.

Lightharmonic's davinci use R2R for PCM.
It's said in the product page(http://www.lightharmonic.com/davinci.html).

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #5,955 of 15,694
Hello,
Perhaps Rob or others who understand this point can chip in and enlighten me.

I understand the claim that people hear down to 4 micro seconds resolution of audio but don't get how the Hugo can reconstruct the sounds form a 22 micro second sample? if a sound started and ended in between those 22 micro seconds - than we have no 'evidence' it ever existed, no?

I like the Hugo, but a bit puzzled.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back