Chord Hugo
Jun 29, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #5,836 of 15,694
Vince,

which edition Hugo do you have? It seems the accessories (cables) come in are different?

I got the new packaging one with larger rca holes and the full set of cables include a short micro to micro, but I just want to look for better looking ones... Oh and my toslink to 3.5 optical can do only up to 24/96 where I know some got one that does 24/192.

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #5,837 of 15,694
How can you possibly like the Oppos dac? I had the oppo 105 as a dac and compared to arcam irDAC, the arcam was far better.

I cant believe you prefer oppos dac over the Hugo dac. The oppo has zero rythem to music and is dry sterile mechanical and harsh. Typical sabre sound.

One of the golden rules of this and most other audio forums is that we tend to agree everyone hears things differently - I readily admitted that the entire combination just doesnt have enough hours on it to make any definitive call re sound quality but my main point was that I wasnt overly impressed with the Oppo-Hugo combination via Toslink optical. NOT that I 'prefer' the Oppo to the Hugo. If you want to make broad statements regarding SABRE DACs or whatever, please dont drag me into it - I still consider the Hugo to be the best DAC I've ever had the pleasure of owning, but I havent owned any other SABRE-equipped DACs. 

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #5,838 of 15,694
Oppo as transport to hugo as dac?

Didnt you prefer oppo 105s dac and headphone unit over the hugos dac and headphone unit when you plugged your headphone in direct a/b?

I never heard the hugo but I have heard the oppo 105 as a transport/dac (I had it) and it was absolutely the worst thing ever..

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #5,843 of 15,694
So can I rip my SACD discs to a hard drive (with Jriver, say?) and play tracks thru my Hugo? Will it sound fully hi-rez?
(Sorry, I'm not up on the technology of hirez computer audio.) Thanks.

sacd discs not easy to rip. Need specialized hardware or the ps3 solution. But if you can get the sacd to dsd files, it should be the same sonic quality if you believe wav files have same fidelity of the cd as similar thing is happening

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #5,846 of 15,694
sacd discs not easy to rip. Need specialized hardware or the ps3 solution. But if you can get the sacd to dsd files, it should be the same sonic quality if you believe wav files have same fidelity of the cd as similar thing is happening

Thanks. I knew there was a catch. Too bad, because many (not all) of my SACDs sound spectacular, so I guess I will still be spinning discs for this.

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #5,847 of 15,694
Thanks. I knew there was a catch. Too bad, because many (not all) of my SACDs sound spectacular, so I guess I will still be spinning discs for this.

There are nice people out there will ps3 solution that can help you backup your sacd to dsd files. Post request in the right forums here even.

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #5,849 of 15,694
did anyone here experienced hugo shuttering / delay sometimes when playing dsd in foobar or jriver
i have some shuttering when playing dsd file via foobar and jriver. have tried the audio stream guide when playing dsd file.
only dsd. flac 24bit/96khz no shuterring.

in foobar i experienced worse. like the track is playing in 3 second forward in the beggining of the file

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #5,850 of 15,694
There really are plenty of 5.1-ch SACD releases, and I also found that 5.1-ch DSD via DoP could be done with this Oppo BDP-103 mod

http://www.audiopraise.com/forum/read.php?11,503

We need a very old PS3 for ripping our own SACD discs, nothing else would work

http://newtoolbox.wordpress.com/2014/03/02/6s6s6s6sgbdnkkkaasasa

isn't there a problem with SQ ripping 5.1>2.0?... I've always read that Audio SACD's are remastered to 2.0 unlike the DVD counterpart which is 5.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back