Chord Hugo
Jun 22, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #5,416 of 15,694
Has anyone here tried this ? http://www.aumacoustics.com/hugo_modifications.html
And I am in no way saying the hugo is thin. I a very happy with it. I am purely asking if anyone has tried this as all products are made to a price pint . Including the device in the attachment . So let's not make this into a bashing the Hugo as it is a fine product as is for all of us .

Al

Jun 22, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #5,418 of 15,694
With my IE800s, Hugo sounded very neutral, effortless and musical. It didn't sound bright to me. I haven't had the chance to listen to it with HD650s but will do when mine arrives this week. :)

HE-6 might be good indeed, I'll try them when I get the chance. In the end I always find myself going back to Sennheiser headphones though. I might be a Sennheiser fanboy. :)

I also like my ie800 hugo combination. The hd650 for me paired better with the hifi m8. The hugo admittedly was more musical with the m8 sounding more analytical. I've been listening to the ie800 more recently.

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #5,419 of 15,694
Do not be. And I said it did not help it made it worse. when I have a chance I will,do them both again. Sorry i do trust currawang . But when I did it
I felt it took the shine off meaning the anolog sound it has. It also sounded like it turned the pitch up even more . So i was not happy.
The AP1/PP made my new B7 lampi sound pitched high as well and the offramp made it darker. And my new ps audio DS was not helped either they both had odd effects
And made them worse off. I will,try it again and post I promise .
Al

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #5,420 of 15,694
OMG... Who designed this stupid case?!
Trying to replace my Stealth DC-1 with the Hugo on my speaker setup: the optical cable does not fit inside because the connector is recessed and the opening just too small...
Who ever decided to go for recessed input should be fired!

The sound is great but all these design quirks are killing me... I'm probably in a bad mood, but I had no such issues with the QuteHD. Plus it sounded more musical - albeit less technical - in my systems.

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #5,423 of 15,694

How does it explain it sounding softer? Well, if you have noise floor modulation, you get more noise with the music peaks, and this often occurs at the initial starting transient - so you get a burst of noise on peak transients, which artificially enhances the sound - it's the MSG of sound quality.

Rob

MSG of sound quality!  I love it!  :)

Anyone know a great USB-SPDIF converter that has toslink (at 192k)?

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #5,424 of 15,694
I said more musical. Technically, the Hugo is more potent but thinner and brighter. Would be perfect for Audeze or HD-650 (maybe PM-1), but not optimal with my Hifiman headphones or Focal speakers who like some warmth.

So it does sound bright and thin. I TOLD you guys I had a credible source earlier telling me the Chord QuteHD w/ External PSU sounded better to him.

I might just wait for the Schiit Yggdrasil thats being reported to be realsed next week. Thanks for honesty Clenmaster.

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #5,425 of 15,694
  What are the most affordable headphones to really appreciate the Hugo? HD650? B&W P7?
I'm not a 'bass head' - like electronic music but with accurate, natural bass.

Any advice appreciated,

Thanks!

Philips Fidelio X1 remain my favorite cans straight out of the Hugo - whether they could be considered 'balanced' is a tougher question. You really need to hear the combination - I adore them with electronica and metal. Almost everyone on HF raves about the LCD-X but I still prefer the X1 - mine didnt need 100+ hours to sound good and they work great straight out of the Hugo. I accept that my LCD-X does some things better than the Philips cans, but the heart wants what the heart wants. 

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #5,426 of 15,694
When did more coloring come to mean more musical?? 

beyersmile.png

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #5,427 of 15,694
Curranwong said AP1/PP sounds the best but Al you said OR5 makes no difference....so I am confused.....

Ok round two same observation. I am in no way saying currawang is wrong as this is objective . Also different headphones may yield different views.
To my ears the Hugo sounds best with a USB connected to my iMac playing with audivarna plus. .
If I use the offramp,it's dull and makes a little dark it looses it's shine let's say.
Now with the AP1/PP. it's bright and it's tuned in pitch high . To my 57 year old ears with the hd800 being driven directly it's best with the USB HD input.
I played PCM flac sad Lisa from tea for the tillerman and also the same song in the new dsd download.
The flac is 24/192 and the dsd is dsd64.
It's so off kilt the violins sound bad and shrill a bit. And cat sound like his voice is off as well . I am not here to say I know and someone else knows less . You asked I said
I do not want feed back in this , I did this cause I was asked . Read my post from before it's the same . I am sure currawang is correct so go by his view .
For me it's best left alone and you just saved some money. Now the post link I did says it's better with it. So I must be wrong also the test was done playing each song there times .
Once with off ramp and then ap1/pl and last USB alone. To my ears it's clearly better with usb. I have not done as mr watts has said with a optical spidif .
I did try it with my ps audio PWT. the truth us the PWT stinks and does not sound good even on there ps audio DS dac. And I own this too. And the DS sounds much better to me than the Hugo. The point is it's my view . One thing for sure the Hugo is very good as is and at the selling price . One last thought the Hugo does sound very good right out of my iPhone 5 and camera adaptor . So good it really does not improve very much from a CPU . If you buy it enjoy it and be proud of it. And slow down on reading a little this place will drive you crazy even though it really is the best place to read about devices . It's just the way it goes I guess.
Good night all have fun.
Al

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #5,429 of 15,694
Ted b I do not own one or I would try. I did try my ps audio PWT with coax and optical. They both sound dull . But the PWT is just not very detailed it sounds kinda dull even with the HDMI into the DS . I did try a few red book disks too. So I think it's not a fair judge of it. I also tried my hibino HDP r10 as coax and optical . They did not sound good either. The AK240 sounded very good though . But the USB from my CPU PC or iMac or iPhone sound much better to me .
Al

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #5,430 of 15,694
So it does sound bright and thin. I TOLD you guys I had a credible source earlier telling me the Chord QuteHD w/ External PSU sounded better to him.

I might just wait for the Schiit Yggdrasil thats being reported to be realsed next week. Thanks for honesty Clenmaster.
BrightER and thinNER. The quteHD was definitely warm with smooth treble but it was incredibly clean and transparent at the same time. Full and clean, one does not see that every day.

The Hugo could be perfectly neutral and technically, no doubt, it is better. I just happen to like the tonality and fullness of sound better than the crispness of the Hugo. It pairs better with most of my gears. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back