Chord Hugo
Jan 30, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #16 of 15,694
Thanks for your early impressions. Nothing there is putting me off, that's for sure! I spoke to my dealer yesterday (hoping they'll get mine in any day now) and he was telling me about the time he'd spent with Hugo. He, too, was very impressed. He believed the Hugo held up very well to comparison with much more expensive DACs and headphone amps. Mind you, he was hardly going to tell me I'm wasting my money...

I agree with your comments about the AK120. It's a super little device (and so it should be for the price) although I do find its sound signature to be somewhat leaner than the DX100 and HM-801. The AK120 is given more authority when partnered with the Meier Quickstep (a very nice little amp) and I'm hoping Hugo will improve upon that combination noticeably. AK120 + UM Miracle does make a brilliant on-the-move combination, however; very small!

Really excited about the Hugo. I just can't wait!

Just my $0.02 I don't think the ak120 is in the same league and no amount of amping will get you to the Hugo's level. I suspect this thing has plenty of juice but have not tested with headphones - I wanted portability so iems are it.

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #17 of 15,694
  I have not - my files are all at minimum redbook quality - mp3 annoys me and apple itunes sucks.
Will try bluetooth some other time but do not have any aptx capable devices to output from at this point.

I just wondered if the iPhone (or iPad) could be used normally and have sound out of the Hugo using the USB cable? Like looking at a video on a site for instance?
And I wonder about the same thing using Bluetooth.. the latter would work I guess.. and I guess it would work with the USB cable also.. but it might be upsampled to 16/48?

(I just want a seamless experience regardless of what I throw at it.. the Hugo that is..)

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #18 of 15,694
Just my $0.02 I don't think the ak120 is in the same league and no amount of amping will get you to the Hugo's level. I suspect this thing has plenty of juice but have not tested with headphones - I wanted portability so iems are it.

Have you tested the "psycho-filters" and how the different settings affect your iem's?

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #19 of 15,694
Have you tested the "psycho-filters" and how the different settings affect your iem's?

You mean the cross feed feature?
Not sure it makes any difference - now and then I thought there was a difference but it might be just placebo. Frankly anyone who thinks iems or headphones image haven't really heard imaging on full range speakers

Having said that have not tried them on headphones yet. Due to the physical distance of iems to the ear canal I wonder - have not tried headphones maybe it works better there... But then again compared to speakers... I'm a jaded old guy whose tried all manner of gadgets to get headphones to image.... I'll believe it when I hear it

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #20 of 15,694
You mean the cross feed feature?
Not sure it makes any difference - now and then I thought there was a difference but it might be just placebo. Frankly anyone who thinks iems or headphones image haven't really heard imaging on full range speakers

Having said that have not tried them on headphones yet. Due to the physical distance of iems to the ear canal I wonder - have not tried headphones maybe it works better there... But then again compared to speakers... I'm a jaded old guy whose tried all manner of gadgets to get headphones to image.... I'll believe it when I hear it

Yes, the cross feed feature, also called the psychoacoustics filtering I believe. It is supposed to change the stage and get the music more "in front of you", rather than the usual "in your head" stage.

I have heard that people using headphones have liked it, and was very curious about how that might affect iem's.. but not much of that you could hear anyway? 
wink.gif

Edit: Agree. Speakers images can be awesome! And I am looking for that in the headphone world.. and have not found it yet.. closest are the HD800's.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #21 of 15,694
  ...The silicon feet should really be spaced wider apart. Not sure why they are so close. If you push on the left or right sides/edge the casing will "hit"...

harmonix, thanks for posting your first impressions. I also find the Hugo to be immensely impressive.

Regarding your observation about the feet: though they haven't told me as much, I'm guessing that the feet are placed that way so that your mobile device (that they provide straps for) has a place to rest. As it is, my iPod Touch makes contact with all four feet, whereas it would not touch any of them if the feet were out at the Hugo's corners.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #22 of 15,694
harmonix, thanks for posting your first impressions. I also find the Hugo to be immensely impressive.

Regarding your observation about the feet: though they haven't told me as much, I'm guessing that the feet are placed that way so that your mobile device (that they provide straps for) has a place to rest. As it is, my iPod Touch makes contact with all four feet, whereas it would not touch any of them if the feet were out at the Hugo's corners.

Makes sense Jude! Now I know why the spacing of the feet fits my iPhone outline...

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #23 of 15,694
Here's how I have the Hugo set up with my iPod Touch right now:

(Click to see full size.)

If anyone can think of a more elegant solution to connect these two than what I'm showing here, please do let me know.

(The rig is on top of my iPad, only because the table underneath is black, which made it difficult to see the black USB cable.)

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #24 of 15,694

I have a feeling that the AK120 will be too small for the straps, even just using the two closest to each other. I'll find out soon enough!
Even if it will fit, either the Hugo or the AK will have to be face down in use, and I can't really see how that's going to be practical (I want to see the Hugo's lights, and oh yes, adjust the volume too :). I may end up using a small hard aluminium-type case I have to keep them both in side-by-side. In any event, I will find a way...

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #26 of 15,694
  Here's how I have the Hugo set up with my iPod Touch right now:

(Click to see full size.)

If anyone can think of a more elegant solution to connect these two than what I'm showing here, please do let me know.

(The rig is on top of my iPad, only because the table underneath is black, which made it difficult to see the black USB cable.)

This might be a solution:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Type-A-Male-to-Micro-USB-Type-B-Male-Adapter-Connector-M-M-Plug-Charger-/321285831164

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #27 of 15,694
  This might be a solution...

@nOtEcH, thanks for the link. I ordered that one, and this one from Amazon. The latter will get here tomorrow. (The one you linked to is from Australia, so I imagine will take a while longer.)

Hopefully one or both of them will fit the recessed micro-USB jack on the Hugo.

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #28 of 15,694
How easy is it to use normal 3.5 IC's on? Thinking seriously about the Hugo but it is a chunk of change. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #29 of 15,694
I believe the asking price of Hugo suggests that it will outperform the HM-901. Any comparison between the two will be highly appreciated especially in handling highres FLAC files.
Seriously thinking to get one later on this year after the inital rush.
Many thanks

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #30 of 15,694
I believe the asking price of Hugo suggests that it will outperform the HM-901. Any comparison between the two will be highly appreciated especially in handling highres FLAC files.
Seriously thinking to get one later on this year after the inital rush.
Many thanks

Have not had any issues with FLAC files - this is my default format for PCM and DSF for DSD. Still a bit early to put in final judgement but my mind is coming around to thinking the Hugo's real competition is with big DAC's not portable ones. I like it better than the Mytek and the Benchmark DAC2. Haven't put it side by side with the Eximus but leaning toward's the Hugo....  Would be curious if someone did a shootout with the Aurelac Vega. 

It's not every day you hear a DAC which brings some surprises and smiles - when you hear it you take notice. Just commenting on the D/A conversion here and not the amp side - since I'm using IEM's this is not a real issue headphone users take note - your mileage will vary. If anyone would like to lend me a pair of LCD-X would be more than happy to try it out 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back