Chord Hugo
Apr 27, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,506 of 15,694
May I dare to ask again: 
I get 8:20 hours of Battery.  Is it normal or not ?  I wonder because I read something like 12 hours run-time for the HUGO !? 
frown.gif

I did a battery test today, with a mix of ALAC 14/44 & 24/96: Blue turned Green after 2:30h, and.... after 8 hours, the led started blinking RED, and 20 minutes later the Hugo muted.

Thanks for your advices

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #2,507 of 15,694
Extensive testing of battery times with different configurations has probably not happened. And your configuration will matter greatly. For example, a major factor not mentioned by you is if you're using the onboard amp or not. Also, higher bit rate material takes much more power to process too. There are too many unstated/new variables to say what is normal right now, that's why people probably aren't answering you. 

I don't think I've had more than 8 hours on a charge. And 8 hours in one go will be more taxing on the battery, because of heat.

8 hours is amazing for something like this, no matter the configuration. Don't worry that you're maybe supposed to get 12. There are many reasons why you are or are not. Either way, 8 hours is stellar. Considering many DACs need a powerplant the size and weight of a house to sound this good, count your luck stars that this even runs on batteries, in a transportable manner, to begin with. 

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #2,508 of 15,694
  Extensive testing of battery times with different configurations has probably not happened. And your configuration will matter greatly. For example, a major factor not mentioned by you is if you're using the onboard amp or not. Also, higher bit rate material takes much more power to process too. There are too many unstated/new variables to say what is normal right now, that's why people probably aren't answering you. 

I don't think I've had more than 8 hours on a charge. And 8 hours in one go will be more taxing on the battery, because of heat.

8 hours is amazing for something like this, no matter the configuration. Don't worry that you're maybe supposed to get 12. There are many reasons why you are or are not. Either way, 8 hours is stellar. Considering many DACs need a powerplant the size and weight of a house to sound this good, count your luck stars that this even runs on batteries, in a transportable manner, to begin with. 

thanks I feel reasured :)    

(during the test I was using ALAC 16/44 & 24/96 and also the AMP part ... but with IEMs, so not too much demand on it)

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #2,509 of 15,694
You bet!

But not all IEMs are the same. For instance, the 1plus2 couples a hybrid BA/dynamic driver design, boasts higher impedance, and a sensitivity that is well below average for an IEM. I can crank those up to bright blue no problem. IEMs are not inherently obviously easier to drive than full-size cans anymore. I can think of many cans easier to drive than the 1plus2. Nothing against the 1plus2 whatsoever, a fine earphone. But just for example purposes : )

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2,510 of 15,694
May I dare to ask again: 

I get 8:20 hours of Battery.  Is it normal or not ?  I wonder because I read something like 12 hours run-time for the HUGO !? :frowning2:

I did a battery test today, with a mix of ALAC 14/44 & 24/96: Blue turned Green after 2:30h, and.... after 8 hours, the led started blinking RED, and 20 minutes later the Hugo muted.

Thanks for your advices

Mine ran today for nine hours thirty five minutes 44.1 k files, much longer than my I phone I think it a good enough excuse to avoid working in the garden

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #2,511 of 15,694
Mine ran today for nine hours thirty five minutes 44.1 k files, much longer than my I phone I think it a good enough excuse to avoid working in the garden

wink.gif

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #2,512 of 15,694
I am using Onkyo HF Player app via cck to Hugo. Onkyo app doesn't allow for streaming. I have other apps that play music from dlna stream (8player, PlugPlayer, etc) but none of these output from iphone cck setup at higher res. is there a magic app out there that wirelessly grabs the high res files and outputs via cck to hugo in native high res fashion?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8Player will do that. You need the following:

ALAC files on a DLNA / UPnP server
Configure 8Player (under "player" i think it was) to use "Native iOS"

8Player will then play high resolution files at correct resolution / sample rate, but If you do not do the nessessary steps, Hugo will just play the files in 16/44.1.
One problem though.. 8Player doesn't support gapless playback yet, but they have told me that a future upgrade will have this feature. I haven't got a confirmation about what time span we are talking about though..

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #2,513 of 15,694
I think the Hugo with the original chassis will be a collector's item

I'd rather they fix it for mine. I can't use my nice cable with hugo. Do we have any word on if/how chord is going to handle it. Obviously bad design decision or mistake/oversight.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #2,514 of 15,694
I have read an article saying Hugo's amplifier section is originally designed as a power amp and can drive high efficient speakers loudly enough... so I could not help but trying it myself. Actually, it is very easy to try and would recommend Hugo owners to try with your speakers. Would appreciate more opinions and would like to know if Hugo can drive some of the big floor-standing speakers or not.

Fun stuff, this works. 

I had a Paradigm Mini Monitor v5 kicking around, so I hooked it up: Hugo RCA > TRS male > TRS Female to Speaker prong adapter.  (Adapter originally used to connect LCD-2 to speaker taps)  

The Paradigm is a pretty efficient speaker Room (92db / Anechoic 89db), and while I'm not getting concert level volume, for nearfield, it sounds pretty nice.  

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #2,515 of 15,694
I'd rather they fix it for mine. I can't use my nice cable with hugo. Do we have any word on if/how chord is going to handle it. Obviously bad design decision or mistake/oversight.

I heard that they are going to release gold plated RCA connector plugs, so the RCA plugs will in reality be outside the Hugo while plugged in.
And then I guess that pretty much every cable would fit.. provided that the cables RCA plugs aren't that thick/big so that the centre pins will end up being too far apart.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #2,516 of 15,694
I heard that they are going to release gold plated RCA connector plugs, so the RCA plugs will in reality be outside the Hugo while plugged in.
And then I guess that pretty much every cable would fit.. provided that the cables RCA plugs aren't that thick/big so that the centre pins will end up being too far apart.

That's acceptable solution for me. I'm using some blue jean 90 degree adapters right now but I don't think they are the best of quality. Haven't been able to find high end adapters that fit. Any clue how we get in on this?

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #2,517 of 15,694
I think when it was designed for its original mobile high toughness use. That the designers assumed wrongly that few people would be using it at home. They thought smaller cables would be okay . The trouble was that the design sounded so damned good that home system use is now not a rarity so they reacted quickly to the market pressure and changed the design as quickly as possible. Cutting the new design in two months There are good cables available that will fit see moon and the chord company in the uk. Also I've seen somewhere that chord will shortly make available gold plated RCA extenders that fit the original units RCA access recesses if you write into them.

Apr 27, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #2,518 of 15,694
Kind of interesting, to my ear dsd128 generated by Jriver sounds better than redbook directly into Hugo, anyone has same feeling?

Mot sure how lampizator implemented in the black DSD box while original prototype was like a TI 179x chip, and I've heard with DSD only FIR is enabled in the 179x not the dac portion so the volume control is disabled as well.

I'm not sure lamp is exactly doing it either. Lamp website explanation more marketing speak than specific details aside from that it is doing as little as possible to the point of claiming no digital processing on dsd signal.

As for your comments about converting to dsd external to dAc, I don't know why it would help either. It actually goes against by goals for my audio systems. However you aren't alone in feeling that way.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/which-digital-analogue-converter-just-direct-stream-digital-20173/

Read the comments on that thread as an example. The only thing I can think of is that dsd signal is more resistant to jitter issues so maybe passing dsd signals to dac reduces jitter issues enough that it outweighs any PCM to dsd conversion issues.

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #2,519 of 15,694
That's acceptable solution for me. I'm using some blue jean 90 degree adapters right now but I don't think they are the best of quality. Haven't been able to find high end adapters that fit. Any clue how we get in on this?

No clue.
Have heard that they are working on a leather casing for the Hugo as well, and no clue about when that will hit the market either.

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #2,520 of 15,694
I think when it was designed for its original mobile high toughness use. That the designers assumed wrongly that few people would be using it at home. They thought smaller cables would be okay . The trouble was that the design sounded so damned good that home system use is now not a rarity so they reacted quickly to the market pressure and changed the design as quickly as possible. Cutting the new design in two months There are good cables available that will fit see moon and the chord company in the uk. Also I've seen somewhere that chord will shortly make available gold plated RCA extenders that fit the original units RCA access recesses if you write into them.

I'm not sure if I buy the mobile reasoning. They included rca jacks of all sorts. These jacks don't fit most audiophile cables of any sort whether made for mobile or home use, including ones made by chord cable. The connector head opening is the issue and that has nothing to do with mobile/home cable. More like design oversight on chassis if anything as they could have picked out 10 audiophile cables and see 20% or less would work.

I do agree they reacted fairly quickly and applaud them for holding off delivering more bad product until they did their fix. I'm really just asking for info on fixes for us original chassis owners. If I have any complaint, it is about the lack of communication as to the fix or status on whether or not they were even going to do a fix,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back