Chord Hugo
Apr 17, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #1,996 of 15,694
I think Coaxial out provides a much better connection than optical. Conventional optical connection all seem quiet weak compared to the coaxial RCA. Also optical out performance can change if the cable is bend or connection is placed under stress.

DX90 seems like a solid gear as it both seems to sound good and also provide a great digital out.

We just need to wait and see how well implemented the digital out of the DX90 is.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #1,997 of 15,694
Digital out of the DX90 works fine. No hick-ups or hesitation. I have been playing 24/192 via coax to the Hugo with the Whiplash special coax cable. The Hugo indicates 24/192. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #1,998 of 15,694
  Finally I received my HUGO !
biggrin.gif

Very first listening, but so far I prefer the warmer sound of  HUGO->TU-05  (tube amp) better than HUGO alone (with my Roxane as well as with my TH-900).

I guess I may need to be de-intoxicated from my TU-05 warm tube sound to start to really appreciate the "purity" of the HUGO as Rob said  :)

But I have already some questions. Can someone help  :

- I really do not see the interest of the "Volume bypass" set-up  (hold cross-feed while power up) since... the volume is NOT by-passed
          and the level is not always appropriate to my external AMP.  So, what is the purpose of this set-up ??.

- Do I really have to cycle through input selection to get OPTICAL each time I power-up the HUGO ??
          Why doesn'it automaticaly select at power-up the LAST one use ?  this is ANNOWING ! Is there a way around too force this OPTICAL selection ?

- I played DSD through optical through my AK100 (dop I guess ??), and the Sample frequency light was... yellow  (= 88 kHz) !   How comes ???

Anyway, I am happy 
tongue.gif

PS:  Some people reported some downsampling with some optical cable, but...with the provided short optical cable, I get 24/192 ( dark blue light) played by the HUGO without any problem.  

The volume pre-set mode is great when you are using Hugo as a DAC. I needed it in the early days so that I could compare Qute to Hugo, so I could evaluate the sound of the analogue electronics, and changes as time went by. So the volume from Qute to Hugo had to be perfectly matched.

Sorry about the memory part. It was always my intention to include it, but towards the end of the project I had massive problems trying to get everything to fit in the FPGA. Also, having established the SQ in September, I set myself the goal of not degrading the sound and to add all the other things I needed to add (principally cross feed and DSD) This meant a lot of re-design to make it logically identical but take up less gate count.

Anyhow, after a lot of work, I managed to slim the design down without compromising sound (actually this activity improved the sound  - sometimes necessity supplies more insight). But I was left with a design where if I add one more flip-flop it would fail to place and route. There was no way I could add the code to do the writing to flash and the initializing decoding and reading without degrading sound quality, so I dropped the feature, as SQ trumps all else. At home I leave mine on all the time.

On the AK100, is it set-up to do DoP?   

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #1,999 of 15,694
I was not aware that an AK100 could output DSD in any form (DoP).  That player is still only a PCM player (although with proper firmware the AK1XX models can input DSD, but any playback is converted to PCM).  You'd need an AK240 to do DSD (and then no idea if it outputs DSD too).

The AK240 does not output DSD via its optical output.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #2,000 of 15,694
Last night I used my AK240 as source to my Hugo. The sound produced was simply amazing using my Roxanne .. I have to say the Hugo is one gear I'm never going to sell.

It's the final game for me. The optical output sounds better to me than the coaxial output on my DX50.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #2,003 of 15,694
Why do you say the volume is NOT bypassed? It's set to 0dB, all the way up. You want a line-out to be at 0dB, any less than that means there is attenuation in the signal, and ultimately some sort of diminishment of sound quality to some degree. The volume control introduces resistance to the signal, adding to the signal, so it won't be as pure. Without looking it up, I believe the output voltage to be 2.0v at line out, which is a good, happy line-out voltage. If your amp doesn't like that, it would be an issue with the amp, not the Hugo. 
It sets a known consistent level

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #2,004 of 15,694
Finally I received my HUGO ! :D  

Very first listening, but so far I prefer the warmer sound of  HUGO->TU-05  (tube amp) better than HUGO alone (with my Roxane as well as with my TH-900).

I guess I may need to be de-intoxicated from my TU-05 warm tube sound to start to really appreciate the "purity" of the HUGO as Rob said  :)

But I have already some questions. Can someone help  :

- I really do not see the interest of the "Volume bypass" set-up  (hold cross-feed while power up) since... the volume is NOT by-passed
          and the level is not always appropriate to my external AMP.  So, what is the purpose of this set-up ??.

- Do I really have to cycle through input selection to get OPTICAL each time I power-up the HUGO ??
          Why doesn'it automaticaly select at power-up the LAST one use ?  this is ANNOWING ! Is there a way around too force this OPTICAL selection ?

- I played DSD through optical through my AK100 (dop I guess ??), and the Sample frequency light was... yellow  (= 88 kHz) !   How comes ???

Anyway, I am happy :p  

PS:  Some people reported some downsampling with some optical cable, but...with the provided short optical cable, I get 24/192 ( dark blue light) played by the HUGO without any problem.  
your right the chord cables aren't fancy but they all work well

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #2,006 of 15,694
On the AK100, is it set-up to do DoP?   

I do not know. I just noticed that since the latest firmware revision, I can now play DSD on the AK100.  

I believe it is converted internally into PCM before being streamed out through optical...

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #2,007 of 15,694
Last night I used my AK240 as source to my Hugo. The sound produced was simply amazing using my Roxanne .. I have to say the Hugo is one gear I'm never going to sell.

It's the final game for me. The optical output sounds better to me than the coaxial output on my DX50.

Last night  I used my AK100 as source to my Hugo. And also...The sound produced was simply amazing using my Roxanne 
biggrin.gif

QUESTION: Is it possible that the  AK240>HUGO  provides better SQ than  AK100>HUGO ? 

Is there any further SQ improvement that can be expected by switching from AK100 to AK240 as a source ?  

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #2,008 of 15,694
  Hi all.

I'll like to share with you all that the DoP method works with AK120 > TosLink > Hugo. Here's some pictures to illustrate the DSD in operation:

The TosLink cable is from: http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=349

This Hugo is awesome. Made my non-audiophile friends smile too.

Regards,
CK

QUESTION:  How do I do to pack  DSD  into PCM files ?  Do I do this on a computer before I load the file into the AK ?

Can I then choose the bitrate of the resulting PCM file ?  is the higher (192) the better in case of DSD packed into PCM ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back