Chord Hugo
Apr 18, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #2,011 of 15,688
Hi.

Like  seeteeyou said, to get DSD into a FLAC container. I simply followed the instruction here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/680853/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model/3645#post_10252212
which is also mentioned in this thread a few pages back.

There isn't any option to embed into 192 kHz or anything else during conversion. I guess the 176.4 kHz came from the preference:

Since highest compression works and no side effect is heard, I chose a level 8 compression for FLAC. In any case, my AK120 is free from the workload of converting the DSD into PCM internally and Hugo does the work instead.

Thank you Mr Robert Watts for creating this awesome little device! 

Regards,
CK

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #2,012 of 15,688
  Hi.

Like  seeteeyou said, to get DSD into a FLAC container. I simply followed the instruction here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/680853/sony-nwz-zx1-35th-walkman-anniversary-model/3645#post_10252212
which is also mentioned in this thread a few pages back.

There isn't any option to embed into 192 kHz or anything else during conversion. I guess the 176.4 kHz came from the preference:

Since highest compression works and no side effect is heard, I chose a level 8 compression for FLAC. In any case, my AK120 is free from the workload of converting the DSD into PCM internally and Hugo does the work instead.

Thank you Mr Robert Watts for creating this awesome little device! 

Regards,
CK

thanks to you all for this DSD to PCM conversion guide.    

Does  DSD embeled into PCM sound 100% as good as  NATIVE DSD ?   There is no SD degradation ?

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #2,013 of 15,688
 I got ya.What color lights up for you on "bypass" mode? Mine is always bright light blue/turquoise. 

And i took the bypass at face value. I know you can still adjust the volume, but once you do, you are in effect canceling "bypass" mode. Why does the fact that you can adjust volume mean that the digital volume control was not bypassed to begin with before adjusting the volume? I think it stands to reason that with the digital volume control could be bypassed when set to that mode, unless you know for certain to the contrary. 

Please stop saying bypass , it is a preset volume.

Edit:
I see that you have been corrected after your posting. But I must say that I get quite irritated about you questioning a fact that has been stated over and over again in this thread, as if you try to confuse people. You questioning the quality of the Hugo earlier in this thread, while promoting your own stuff is also irritating me. Why not promote your own stuff in a Cavalli thread? Maybe it is because the Hugo is the hottest thing available in the market at the moment? And that this thread would be the best marketing channel for you?
As a member of commerce you should tread carefully as it is very easy to question your intensions and that is in my opinion not a good thing for your brand.

The Hugo is the best thing that has happened to the world of portable Head-Fi ever. IMO. And it is so good that it can be compared to desktop rigs. The sound quality for the total package (DAC/AMP) is awsome, and the battery life is as well. And the Hugo is powerful. And because of not using the power pin on the USB connection sources like iDevices will last much longer than with other portable DAC's, as it does not drain batteries. A better package is not available anywhere.

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #2,014 of 15,688

Despite all the talk abt the Hugo as rocking great in a desktop dac setup, this is when it really shines...chillin by the pool with pristine audio bliss.

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #2,015 of 15,688
Fantastic photo that made me smile, thanks for posting it and enjoy your Hugo. 
atsmile.gif

Quote:

Despite all the talk abt the Hugo as rocking great in a desktop dac setup, this is when it really shines...chillin by the pool with pristine audio bliss.

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #2,016 of 15,688

Last night  I used my AK100 as source to my Hugo. And also...The sound produced was simply amazing using my Roxanne 
biggrin.gif

QUESTION: Is it possible that the  AK240>HUGO  provides better SQ than  AK100>HUGO ? 

Is there any further SQ improvement that can be expected by switching from AK100 to AK240 as a source ?  

I'm trying to see if I can get a used AK100 to try. If it sounds as good or near as good as the AK240 to the Hugo then I might just sell my AK240.
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #2,020 of 15,688
  For DSD-packed FLAC files via optical output, here's another portable recorder from Sony with up to 288GB storage (32 + 256)

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/7000957329919782796

thanks, but...this one lack the great ZX1 UI ! :)

Apr 18, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #2,021 of 15,688

I'm trying to see if I can get a used AK100 to try. If it sounds as good or near as good as the AK240 to the Hugo then I might just sell my AK240.
biggrin.gif

In theorie, booth should sound identical since in this case the AK are used only as a transport....unless one has really a superior (jitter...)  Digital interface than the other ?

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #2,024 of 15,688
  Hello to everyone in the Cord Hugo thread,

I need some guidance with regard to what devices I could potentially use to front-end the Cord i.e iPhone, iPod others… I don’t have a home system at the moment so this is it for me.  I want to be able to play wav, FLAC and/or other lossless recording formats on this device such that the Cord player will have the opportunity to light up like a disco ball.   

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your guidance.
Respectfully,
Speedracer1. AKA (Tom) 

Hi Tom, welcome to Head-Fi & bankruptcy.

I own both the Sony ZX1 (128gb- £500) & F887 (64gb (£280)  both are superb DAP's that will suit your needs. They play all formats including DSD (converts to PCM for playback).

Both had a firmware update yesterday and the SQ has been improved across the board, these are premier league DAP's (I'll be more in depth in the ZX1 thread), they are very musical & detailed in delivery with great control, the ZX1 is a master-class in simple design... good luck with your choice.

ps... if you're near to Chicago next weekend you can hear the ZX1 (it'll be paired with a Hugo) on the Chord/Noble stand at the Axpona Hi-Fi Show.

Apr 18, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #2,025 of 15,688
Please stop saying bypass , it is a preset volume.

Edit:
I see that you have been corrected after your posting. But I must say that I get quite irritated about you questioning a fact that has been stated over and over again in this thread, as if you try to confuse people. You questioning the quality of the Hugo earlier in this thread, while promoting your own stuff is also irritating me. Why not promote your own stuff in a Cavalli thread? Maybe it is because the Hugo is the hottest thing available in the market at the moment? And that this thread would be the best marketing channel for you?
As a member of commerce you should tread carefully as it is very easy to question your intensions and that is in my opinion not a good thing for your brand.

The Hugo is the best thing that has happened to the world of portable Head-Fi ever. IMO. And it is so good that it can be compared to desktop rigs. The sound quality for the total package (DAC/AMP) is awsome, and the battery life is as well. And the Hugo is powerful. And because of not using the power pin on the USB connection sources like iDevices will last much longer than with other portable DAC's, as it does not drain batteries. A better package is not available anywhere.

Hi there,

As you can see, I was seeking clarification, based on the section in the Hugo user manual that states this. You call me out in a post seeking clarification, which I don't fully understand. I believe your beef should be with Chord, not me here. This is a blatant statement of untruth from the manufacturer. And as you know the manufacturer is involved in this thread, and this has been discussed as you say, it would make much more sense to attack Rob, not me. But I don't even think that is fair. And thank you Rob for a fantastic product. 

"questioning the quality of the Hugo" is a dramatic and irresponsible misconstruction of the expression of my opinion. I have stated many times the fantastic value of the unit as a portable. Where I have questioned quality was in regard to a comparison to "the best home reference amps," an entirely different idea than the unit as a portable. Further, as a manufacturer looking to release their own portable very soon, I would say I have been extremely and openly transparent in my expression of the virtues of a directly competing product. And the only time I said it could be bettered with Cavalli gear, is in the amp stage, with a home rig. And that's just fact. I've also touted other manufacturers too, unbelievingly. I have no idea how you've arrived at the conclusions you have. I have only given honest opinion, and when asked.

Just to reiterate. 

Hey guys,

Thanks for letting me jump in. Got the Hugo in to try, and am definitely impressed. 

OK, let's start by getting a bunch of my biases out of the way. 

It is my opinion that the DAC in the Hugo easily outclasses the DACs in both the HPA-8 and Conductor. The amp in the Hugo, not so much. But it wasn't designed to be a world-class amp. It's a great DAC connected to a pretty good portable amp, and an excellent transportable all-in-one solution. As a whole, the Hugo is not all that when compared to complete world-class home reference gear chains, but the DAC is. 

Emphasis not added. 

If you're going for the Hugo, which you should strongly consider for transportable environments, then I would use that full-time as your DAC, and look for an amp-only solution for home to be used in concert with the Hugo DAC. 

+1

Thanks for the reminder, good point. I've always said it was top-notch as a portable product. It's just the DAC is so good that you can actually use this piece of gear in your home kit. And at that point, the amp's shortcoming, to me, become obvious when compared to the best home reference amps.

And the fact that you can even think about using it in a home reference chain is remarkable

as Audiowood points out, labels this thing as a great value. The fact that it's tiny, and has a good portable amp on it at all, is just sprinkles on the icing on the cake. ; )

Simple truth ^^

And when asked what I think the best amp pairing is, I am going to give my honest opinion.

I'll repeat again: Cavalli Audio will never steer anyone wrong for the sake of a sale. Only honest opinions shared. In my handful of posts even mentioning Cavalli gear, it was because I was asked, or I was giving honest opinion.  

Have you heard any Cavalli gear?

Edit: I want to publicly apologize to you and anyone else on this thread that believes I have been a shill for Cavalli gear here. I have tried my best to add to the conversation, learn, give honest feedback, and be constructive at every turn. I do not think my mentions of Cavalli Audio have been anywhere near excessive, and have tried hard for them not to even be remotely regular. That is not why I am here. I am here posting in this thread as a passionate audio consumer. I've tried to make that clear. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back