Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
May 28, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #1,366 of 1,686
That's a little odd - the HD input should sound warmer than the SD, so I can't explain that. Mobile phone sources are effectively isolated, as there are no ground loops via the mains, so perhaps this has something to do with it.

SD input sounds closest to your laptop?

When your laptop is running on battery power, do both SD and HD inputs sound the same?

Or the phone doesn't like the extra current draw of the galvanic input?

I’m gonna test the HD and SD on my laptop tonight but the HD input with 10 ferrites sounded close but not identical to optical last time I tested usb which was 3-4 days ago.

I’m thinking the phone may not like the extra current draw but who knows?

Does it make a difference that both my phone and TT were placed on my bed when switching inputs?

Was listening to both IE 80S and IE 800 and both times the SD sounded more relaxing.

May 28, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #1,367 of 1,686
Maybe I ll get a chance to get first hand impressions in the London CanJam.

You can ask around but I’m fairly certain Chord won’t be having the original Hugo or TT at their booth, but you will find H2 and TT2.

Both TT and H2 are good upgrades over Hugo and picking one over another all comes down to what you’re looking for.

If you care more about instrument separation and detail resolution, then H2 excels in that department. If you value instrument palpablity, soundstage height and width , and a more darker relaxing sound the TT wins. When it comes to depth I would say they are close subjectively but TT is more immersive overall.

May 28, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #1,368 of 1,686
maxh22, the way you are describing TT sounds very up my alley. Palpability being the key word. Perhaps closer to decision time I should find a retailer wiht H2 and TT at hand. And avoid listening to TT2 at all costs for the sake of my savings...

May 28, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #1,369 of 1,686
maxh22, the way you are describing TT sounds very up my alley. Palpability being the key word. Perhaps closer to decision time I should find a retailer wiht H2 and TT at hand. And avoid listening to TT2 at all costs for the sake of my savings...

Yeah I’m sure TT2 is quite a beast I would only listen to it in a shop if I had my funds ready because I already know I’d want one.

Back in January I made a short comparison of TT and H2, it might be helpful to you.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-664#post-13963031

Aug 25, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #1,372 of 1,686
InkedimagesGYZ3Z9V6_LI.jpg InkedUnbenannt_LI.jpg Are there 2 Hugo tt? Difference?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #1,373 of 1,686
Are there 2 Hugo tt? Difference?

The Hugo TT2 enters production in september, and planned to start shipping in october.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-tt-2-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.879425/
Dealers are still selling the last of the Hugo TT, and some may be offering good deals to clear their stock.
If you are in no hurry to buy, I advise waiting a few weeks and demoing the Hugo TT2. It has several improvements over the Hugo TT, but does cost about £1000 more.
Dealers in the UK are accepting pre-orders, but I have not seen any dealers in mainland europe advertising the TT2 yet.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #1,374 of 1,686
There was only one Hugo TT - the photo on the left must be an early pre-production prototype, demonstrated at a hifi show.

The Hugo TT2 enters production in september, and planned to start shipping in october.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-tt-2-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.879425/
Dealers are still selling the last of the Hugo TT, and some may be offering good deals to clear their stock.
If you are in no hurry to buy, I advise waiting a few weeks and demoing the Hugo TT2. It has several improvements over the Hugo TT, but does cost about £1000 more.
Dealers in the UK are accepting pre-orders, but I have not seen any dealers in mainland europe advertising the TT2 yet.
Thanks for your fast information!

Aug 25, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #1,375 of 1,686
Aug 25, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #1,376 of 1,686
I currently own a tt and I’m considering upgrading to the 2. I use a gsx mk2 with my tt along with lcd-4 headphones. Do you know what the new amp is rated from a power perspective compared to the regular tt and the gsx mk2? Wonder if i won’t need the gsx mk2 with the new set up? Also wanted to confirm you can’t run the tt2 balanced so if you want to do that need to use the gsx mk2? Thanks

Aug 25, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,377 of 1,686
I currently own a tt and I’m considering upgrading to the 2. I use a gsx mk2 with my tt along with lcd-4 headphones. Do you know what the new amp is rated from a power perspective compared to the regular tt and the gsx mk2? Wonder if i won’t need the gsx mk2 with the new set up? Also wanted to confirm you can’t run the tt2 balanced so if you want to do that need to use the gsx mk2? Thanks

Same system myself. With a reference music server for one, the sound experience is pretty darn good as is, imo. But yes thought the same, at 18 w at high gain, I’d say se direct is sufficient to power any hp, rendering the gsx obsolete. Course you could run it in low gain mode and through gsx anyway, course sinful from a low noise floor perspective. But when you got all balanced cables like I do, kinda shame for such a great pre amp.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #1,378 of 1,686
All the info is in the TT2 thread. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-tt-2-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.879425/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...e-official-thread.879425/page-5#post-14232616

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #1,379 of 1,686
I dunno folks, but Antipodes DX just elevated this Dac to its rich pagentry. Im pausing any additions for a while. Im letting this goodness sink in and mingle. Should even stop Head fi, but ha, who am i kidding.

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #1,380 of 1,686
I dunno folks, but Antipodes DX just elevated this Dac to its rich pagentry. Im pausing any additions for a while. Im letting this goodness sink in and mingle. Should even stop Head fi, but ha, who am i kidding.

I've been wondering about the DX and the new CX for a while. Are you using Roon or some other way to send the signal from the DX to the TT (possibly via USB?)? Thanks very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back