Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #1,381 of 1,666
I've been wondering about the DX and the new CX for a while. Are you using Roon or some other way to send the signal from the DX to the TT (possibly via USB?)? Thanks very much.
Roon. Don’t stream. DX usb to tt ...see my sig. super recommend. However not that I have heard other brands, but seriously, don’t need to. There is a antipodes audio DX thread, but just got it so it will take a few days of listening.

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #1,382 of 1,666
Is there still a demand for the Hugo TT even though the TT2 (+ the Hugo2) is out? I've been hanging on to mine that I don't use anymore since I got a nice pre-owned DAVE at a good price a while ago.
(I was thinking about trading the TT eventually for an Mscaler, but I'd sell it beforehand if it was worthwhile.)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #1,383 of 1,666
Aug 30, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #1,384 of 1,666
Is there still a demand for the Hugo TT even though the TT2 (+ the Hugo2) is out? I've been hanging on to mine that I don't use anymore since I got a nice pre-owned DAVE at a good price a while ago.
(I was thinking about trading the TT eventually for an Mscaler, but I'd sell it beforehand if it was worthwhile.)
Sales of the Hugo TT slowed considerably after the release of the Hugo 2. And as you would expect, Hugo TT values have fallen shapely in the secondhand market. It probably is in your best interest to trade it.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #1,386 of 1,666
Sales of the Hugo TT slowed considerably after the release of the Hugo 2. And as you would expect, Hugo TT values have fallen shapely in the secondhand market. It probably is in your best interest to trade it.

I am not sure where you are located but the actual sold prices on ebay in the UK are holding up quite well and judging by the number sold recently there is still a solid market for second user TT units.

Is there still a demand for the Hugo TT even though the TT2 (+ the Hugo2) is out? I've been hanging on to mine that I don't use anymore since I got a nice pre-owned DAVE at a good price a while ago.(I was thinking about trading the TT eventually for an Mscaler, but I'd sell it beforehand if it was worthwhile.)

Try a sale on ebay based on the prices achieved recently and see if that gives you an advantage when you take into account the cash discount you will get by not trading if / when you go for the MScaler.

Aug 30, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #1,387 of 1,666
Interesting. I actually really like the TT sound a lot (nice and mellow), but the DAVE is better. The TT was significantly better than the original Hugo (better bass and definition).

By stating Dave is better do you mean the standalone DAC or the headphone output? In latter case, Dave probably has a better amplifier section as well.

Always wondered which is better: TT with, say, GS-X mk2 or Dave alone?

Aug 30, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #1,388 of 1,666
DX with tt and gsxmk2, no offence to folks who have other servers or pre amps, is about the best you can get out of the tt, imo and all that. I wouldn’t expect tt to be Dave. But jeez really, sounds pretty dam good tho. Just feel other than upgradeitis, I could live with TT quite well for the foreseeable future, as a hp, system. Ironically I have seen Dave price reduction, not that there is any heavy advertising or availability but it was 17,500 cad on release now 15000 cad. So for me it’s tt vs tt2, care less about output wattage increase. I don’t buy this night and day assessments but maybe my hearing isn’t as acute, and maybe tt2 is a jump more than ch2. I just think I maxed out this mid market audiophile segment, and I’m good with this. So what I will follow is the dac segment in that 5-7500 segment and see if there ever is a break through.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #1,389 of 1,666
Interesting. I actually really like the TT sound a lot (nice and mellow), but the DAVE is better. The TT was significantly better than the original Hugo (better bass and definition).
I prefer the TT to the Hugo 2 with my Utopias. I know there may be more "detail" with the Hugo 2 but the TT is the goto for longer listening sessions.

Aug 30, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #1,390 of 1,666
I prefer the TT to the Hugo 2 with my Utopias. I know there may be more "detail" with the Hugo 2 but the TT is the goto for longer listening sessions.
Felt the same/ with hd800S

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #1,392 of 1,666
To be honest, I always used the DAVE, the TT, and the original Hugo with an amp. I like amping these much better than direct with all my headphones, sensitive or not. I like the fullness and authority and bloom and chosen personality my amps bring to the sound.

Aug 30, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #1,393 of 1,666
To be honest, I always used the DAVE, the TT, and the original Hugo with an amp. I like amping these much better than direct with all my headphones, sensitive or not. I like the fullness and authority and bloom and chosen personality my amps bring to the sound.

I never feel like the TT needs an additional amp to sound good, If i want to adjust fullness and bloom I can already do that just by modifying source components and or cables and maybe even some EQ if it were really needed. To me the whole selling point of Chord kit is the ability to have an all in one transparent solution. But I could see why people also chose to pair their Chord dacs with high end tube or solid state amps, spice is the variety of life they say :)

Aug 30, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #1,394 of 1,666
By stating Dave is better do you mean the standalone DAC or the headphone output? In latter case, Dave probably has a better amplifier section as well.

Always wondered which is better: TT with, say, GS-X mk2 or Dave alone?

I've owned the TT, still own the GS-X Mk2 (and love it), but if I could only have the TT + GS-X M2 or DAVE, I'm going with the latter every time!

Aug 31, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #1,395 of 1,666
Thanks Mac. DAVE + amp is the answer I believe. (I think those who believe nothing is better than DAVE alone should audition some amps to see if they like it. Amps have a signature that may be best for your particular preferences and music.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back