Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #1,336 of 1,665
The Hugo2 does not have more power than the TT, at least not when you compare apples to apples, ask Rob Watts. The super-capacitors play in to the TT power by adding something like 10 F for transients

The super capacitors help with music with a high dynamic range; no doubt, but driving my LCD4, the H2 was my preferred option when I still owned the TT. That said, unless you're looking at driving the LCD4, Abyss Phi or Susvara, both the TT and H2 are plenty.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #1,337 of 1,665
Feb 18, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #1,338 of 1,665
Not likely due to a power difference as they are quite similar output: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-hugo.702787/page-954#post-13070560

More likely the increased resolution/brightness of the Hugo2 more taps helps your LCD-4 since those have a bit of a treble hole: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD4.pdf

I would classify the H2 as a slightly more neutral DAC and the TT as slightly on the darker side. On a side note, I'd classify the original Hugo on the brighter side of neutral compared to these 2 DACs. But the drive and authority was improved with the TT (and at lower vol. settings). But I've also had plenty of other great headphones to try them both with (HD800S, K812, Utopia HE1000V2 and most recently the Abyss-Phi). The H2 also improved on detail retrieval and clarity...again, definitely not night and day, but definitely noticeable. With regards to the LCD-4, I would agree somewhat with your point on the LCD-3, but the LCD-4 not so much.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #1,339 of 1,665
Nice review media, feel same about tt and ch2 and ch1. Interested when tt2 is developed but no rush. Also agree with Mac hero concerning detail retrieval thus my interest in tt2.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #1,340 of 1,665
I am still using my Chord 2Qute and did consider moving to a TT. Never made the jump but would still love to have two outputs, RCA and balanced. When I was in NYC about a month ago, I listened to the Hugo2 with a pair of HD800 headphones (not HD800S). I was actually pretty amazed. Had no idea the Hugo2 could work so well with the HD800. I'm thinking of upgrading but I'm just hoping my microRendu works well if I turn off and on the Hugo2. in the past, I had to reset my microRendu a lot when I lost power. Seems like things are better now when I have a power outage. Maybe a firmware update fixed the issue. Only other issue is having to use a microUSB adapter with my expensive Chord Signature Tuned Aray USB cable. Hope there wouldn't be a big loss in quality.

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #1,342 of 1,665
Now that the Hugo2 has been released, has anyone heard rumblings of a Hugo2 TT? I'm quite interested in the TT, but am worried about a new version on the horizon.

Probably in a year. The TT came out a year after the Hugo.

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #1,343 of 1,665
Now that the Hugo2 has been released, has anyone heard rumblings of a Hugo2 TT? I'm quite interested in the TT, but am worried about a new version on the horizon.
The nearest that you can get is that posters are hoping for an announcement this autumn or next CES, based on the fact that the original TT appeared one year after the Hugo.
However from Chord there is absolute silence. So no hard evidence to base those hopes on - only you can decide whether to wait.

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #1,345 of 1,665
I'm new to this thread so Hi from the UK. I've been lurking in the background with interest.

I have an Innuos Zenith SE with Upton ISO REGEN in between and it sounds great.

I'm really looking forward to the TT2 which must be on it's way.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #1,346 of 1,665
I'm new to this thread so Hi from the UK. I've been lurking in the background with interest.

I have an Innuos Zenith SE with Upton ISO REGEN in between and it sounds great.

I'm really looking forward to the TT2 which must be on it's way.

I see you are using a Paul Hynes SR3, why? In my system Hugo TT sounds better unplugged from the mains running on batteries. I doubt a linear power supply would add anything (unless you wanna run it plugged in all the time) but Hugo TT will always be using the batteries so what benefit can the linear power supply provide?

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #1,347 of 1,665
I see you are using a Paul Hynes SR3, why? In my system Hugo TT sounds better unplugged from the mains running on batteries. I doubt a linear power supply would add anything (unless you wanna run it plugged in all the time) but Hugo TT will always be using the batteries so what benefit can the linear power supply provide?

That’s a fair point about the Paul Haynes on the TT. However it’s only due to having it spare from my previous setup and it can’t do any harm. I also have one on my Upton LPS 1 again for the same reason.

I really should get around to selling them.

Mar 7, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #1,348 of 1,665
I don't yet have a HugoTT, I currently use an Oppo HA-1. My source is ALAC files streamed from my Subsonic server to my iPhone through AVSub (which preserves native bit/sampling rate) connected to the HA-1 via the Camera Connection Kit (which passes hi-res files). The HA-1 has been fine, but with my Audeze LCD-XC's (with updated drivers) I'm looking for something a little more involving, that will really make the LCD-XC's "sing". I'm intrigued by the HugoTT, which could really be what I'm looking for, both for the LCD-XC's and my UE Pro CIEMs. I'm not looking for a portable solution, as I love the Oppo HA-2SE with my CIEMs, so as great as the Hugo2 is, the form factor and performance of the HA-2SE is perfect for me. But for a desktop DAC/Amp, the HugoTT could really fit the bill.

But I may wait for a TT2...

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #1,349 of 1,665
But I may wait for a TT2...
Get a Mojo while you wait. You'll be shocked at what you've been missing.

Now playing: Melissa Menago - Traveler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back