Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Oct 28, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #121 of 1,671
Chord Hugo/Mojo battery life and replacement

Hi all, I am asking this question on all 3 Chord threads because all 3 devices have batteries in them.  Does anyone know what the battery life and replacement costs are for the batteries in the Hugo, the TT and the Mojo?  

Elsewhere -- in phones, cameras, laptops, etc., these sorts of batteries are rated at a service life of about 5 years, regardless of usage.  Five years may seem like a long time when you first make your purchase, but for quality hi-fi equipment it is probably only a half or a third of what you might want to get out of it.  What happens when the service life is completed?

Thanks for any replies and apologies if this question was already answered thousands of posts earlier!

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #122 of 1,671
mmm......I've queried Chord about Hugo battery replacement: 1. Battery should last 5 years. 2. For replacement, you have to send your unit back to Chord. Re: Chord TT - manual says TT is designed to be powered by its wallwart 24/7. I keep it connected to AC power where ever it is available. I don't think you should worry about it too much.

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #124 of 1,671
Anyone compared the Hugo TT to the Yggdrasil or the Invictus Mirus?

I prefer the Hugo TT to the Yggy. Actually the latter was a bit of a disappointment based on some of the reviews...it didn't dig into recordings as well as the TT. I seriously tried hard to return the review Hugo TT when I started. But after going back to my Metrum Hex, I just wasn't enjoying myself with it as much anymore since the TT arrived. I still haven't heard the Mirus...but Sabre based DACs need to be carefully designed to avoid the typical signature of the upper mids shout. Not all are plagued with this, but enough for me to want hear them first. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #125 of 1,671
  I'm a new Head-Fi forum user looking for some help. Has anyone experienced any difficulty using the Chord TT on the HD input, feeding from a Windows laptop? I have a TT that works fine on the HD USB fed by an Aurender S10, but yet will not run from the laptop. (Toshiba Tecra, WIN 7 Pro, i7, 1Gb SSD, using jRiver MC20). I've tried re-installing the drivers, etc., and the system does work from the SD USB input. (which I'm told actually uses a renamed Windows legacy driver). I also tried with a WIN 8 ASUS laptop, with identical results. Files either won't play at all, or the sound skips or drops out continuously. A regular HUGO interestingly, plays perfectly on HD from the same Toshiba laptop. Any one with ay experience here?

I have exactly the same issue

Nov 29, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #126 of 1,671
Chord Hugo/Mojo battery life and replacement

Hi all, I am asking this question on all 3 Chord threads because all 3 devices have batteries in them.  Does anyone know what the battery life and replacement costs are for the batteries in the Hugo, the TT and the Mojo?  

Elsewhere -- in phones, cameras, laptops, etc., these sorts of batteries are rated at a service life of about 5 years, regardless of usage.  Five years may seem like a long time when you first make your purchase, but for quality hi-fi equipment it is probably only a half or a third of what you might want to get out of it.  What happens when the service life is completed?

Thanks for any replies and apologies if this question was already answered thousands of posts earlier!
Hello the batteries should last much longer than five years because they are under very light loading conditions at all times with no hard deep discharge cycles that would be found to occurs in power tools say. We at chord have taken great care with the charging and protection circuitry to ensure a very long life many thousands of hours over the life expectancy of batteries in other applications. If any member of chord staff has answered a quiery about batteries possibly slightly incorrectly. It must be understood that as a small company when phones are ringing with some lines busy, anyone here must pick up the phone and answer a customers question to the best out their knowledge.

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #127 of 1,671
After much discussion with the people at Chord ( a pleasant experience, BTW) with no solution, my dealer ordered a new TT, which fine. He couldn't get the original  to work on his computer either, so we just made a swap, and everything has been fine since. There was some suspicion that the galvanic isolation might not have been right, but I never did hear the final disposition. Didn't deter me however, from ordering a DAVE, which I am expecting to have shortly.

Nov 30, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #129 of 1,671

I prefer the Hugo TT to the Yggy. Actually the latter was a bit of a disappointment based on some of the reviews...it didn't dig into recordings as well as the TT. I seriously tried hard to return the review Hugo TT when I started. But after going back to my Metrum Hex, I just wasn't enjoying myself with it as much anymore since the TT arrived. I still haven't heard the Mirus...but Sabre based DACs need to be carefully designed to avoid the typical signature of the upper mids shout. Not all are plagued with this, but enough for me to want hear them first. 

oop i just order a Yggy instead hugo TT. Did i make a bad decision? btw i love hugo very much.

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #130 of 1,671

oop i just order a Yggy instead hugo TT. Did i make a bad decision? btw i love hugo very much.

Don't worry mate, everyone's ears are different. I've had the TT and Yggy at home for extended demos and preferred the Yggy by some margin. At this level it's more about subjective preference rather than outright technical capability imho.

Nov 30, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #131 of 1,671
Can anyone that owns a Chord Hugo TT take a picture of the undercarriage (bottom)? I plan to order some isolation feet for it and need to know if it has feet that screw in and what thread they are.

Also how hot does the Hugo TT run?

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #132 of 1,671

Lol, I try to help and then...
tongue.gif

Comparing them isn't entirely fair as the price points are so different, but with the TT, the laws of diminished returns were actually diminished when I compared it to DACs in the $2000-3500 price range (Metrum Hex, PWD2, BDA-2, M51, Yggy and M7). That's not to say the ones costing less where "bad", just that the TT was a revelation to my ears. As mentioned, before I started my review, I was quite happy to send it back to Chord when I was done. And after a month with the TT, I just couldn't go back. Throw in a headphone amplifier that gives even my GS-X Mk2 a run for it's money and I bought it.

But we're all after different things...I hope you enjoy your Yggy. 
smile.gif

Dec 1, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #133 of 1,671
Lol, I try to help and then...:p

Comparing them isn't entirely fair as the price points are so different, but with the TT, the laws of diminished returns were actually diminished when I compared it to DACs in the $2000-3500 price range (Metrum Hex, PWD2, BDA-2, M51, Yggy and M7). That's not to say the ones costing less where "bad", just that the TT was a revelation to my ears. As mentioned, before I started my review, I was quite happy to send it back to Chord when I was done. And after a month with the TT, I just couldn't go back. Throw in a headphone amplifier that gives even my GS-X Mk2 a run for it's money and I bought it.

But we're all after different things...I hope you enjoy your Yggy. :smile:  

Will your review be posted soon?

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #135 of 1,671
Anyone know if there is a way to set the preamp volume on startup? Everytime I start up the Hugo TT it goes straight to white. Also curious to know if anyone leaves the Hugo TT on 24/7 or powers off between use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back