Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Mar 11, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #1,141 of 1,671
Mines plugged in as we speak

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #1,142 of 1,671
Hi mediahound,

so very simply do TT owners need to charge the battery on a regular basis? does the battery deplete even though its plugged in 24/7 through daily use?

I simply haven't got a clue about what you mean.

If the TT has the charger plugged in 24/7 then it has constant charge available.

"so very simply do TT owners need to charge the battery on a regular basis?" You will have to explain this question more clearly because it doesn't make sense if the TT is already plugged in the charger full time.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #1,143 of 1,671
i think i understand. there will always be some net battery drain even if the battery is full and plugged in 24/7. also with heavy useage ie loud levels playing for many hours battery charge can be overtaken by battery drain ie useage. by keeping it plugged in 24/7 the trickle charge solves this problem. my motivation here was to try and find out if hugo TT could be used in exactly the same manner as a normal mains operated unit where you switch it on and off as needed. my upgrade in a few months based on all the information i have so far will likely be to a hugo 2 from hugo 1. stepping stone.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #1,144 of 1,671
  i think i understand. there will always be some net battery drain even if the battery is full and plugged in 24/7. also with heavy useage ie loud levels playing for many hours battery charge can be overtaken by battery drain ie useage. by keeping it plugged in 24/7 the trickle charge solves this problem. my motivation here was to try and find out if hugo TT could be used in exactly the same manner as a normal mains operated unit where you switch it on and off as needed. my upgrade in a few months based on all the information i have so far will likely be to a hugo 2 from hugo 1. stepping stone.

When I had my TT I had it turned on 24/7 as well as connected to the trickle charger 24/7. For desk top use, a different option is to have the Hugo 1/2/TT only turned on when in use but still keep it connected to the trickle charger. So, yes, you could have the TT only switched on when needed but leave it connected to the trickle charger. If you turn it off AND unplug the trickle charger I do not know how long it would take the batteries to discharge. Quite a long while I would have thought by why bother with the phaff of unplugging the trickle charger anyway?

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #1,145 of 1,671
  Power Connection
HugoTT has been designed to be permanently connected to the AC power adapter. Plug in the supplied power adapter to HugoTT. The bright white charge light will illuminate through the lens. When fully charged (approx 5 hours) the charge light will switch off. It is safe to leave the power adapter connected continuously to charge and power HugoTT. The charge status is indicated by a colour changing LED under the lens, blue being fully charged and will change to green and red as the batteries discharge. When there is no power left, the light will flash red and the output will mute. If the AC power adapter is accidentally disconnected then HugoTT will continue to run from internal batteries but the power adapter should be reconnected as soon as possible. If the batteries are run down completely then HugoTT must be switched off then the AC power adapter reconnected. Leave HugoTT for at least 30 minutes to recharge before switching back on. 

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Hugo-TT-User-Manual.pdf

Mar 15, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #1,147 of 1,671
Anyone had the chance to compare the Hugo 2 with the Hugo TT?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Read the Hugo 2 thread.
The Hugo 2 production models have not yet started to ship to the public, so any comparisons are likely to be from noisy can jams.
Wait a couple of weeks and the first of the review tour reviews may start to be arriving, and wait a couple of weeks after that, and the first reviews of users may start to appear.

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #1,148 of 1,671
Whats the going price for a Hugo TT ? I owned the 2Qute in the past and enjoyed it more than any other DAC. Comparing to a es9018 was night and day. It brought the life back to the music. Using a Oppo HA-1 but thinking of selling. Sadly I prefer my dual-WM8740 DAP over it.

Apr 4, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #1,149 of 1,671
So my Chord Hugo TT was left playing non stop draining the battery completely. 

I plugged it in to let it charge up but noticed that the charge light is not solidly on. It will go on for about 8 seconds, then flash very fast and go off.  I've recorded a youtube video to demonstrate this,  can someone confirm that this is normal behaviour?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmwBbgfulsk

Thanks

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #1,150 of 1,671
  So my Chord Hugo TT was left playing non stop draining the battery completely. 

I plugged it in to let it charge up but noticed that the charge light is not solidly on. It will go on for about 8 seconds, then flash very fast and go off.  I've recorded a youtube video to demonstrate this,  can someone confirm that this is normal behaviour?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmwBbgfulsk

Thanks

I'm sure this has been dealt with previously. Having completely discharged the battery you need to switch the unit off and then charge it whilst it is switched off. I think the flashing light business is normal in the event of complete battery discharge.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #1,151 of 1,671

I'm sure this has been dealt with previously. Having completely discharged the battery you need to switch the unit off and then charge it whilst it is switched off. I think the flashing light business is normal in the event of complete battery discharge.

Thanks for the confirmation! After a hour, the light is back to solid white.   I'll let it charge overnight. 

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #1,152 of 1,671
  Thanks for the confirmation! After a hour, the light is back to solid white.   I'll let it charge overnight. 

Great.

In fact I have just looked in my old TT user manual and it says,

"If the batteries are run down completely then HugoTT must be switched off then the AC
power adapter reconnected. Leave HugoTT for at least 30 minutes to recharge before
switching back on."

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #1,153 of 1,671
So I listened to both the Hugo2 and DAVE over the weekend. I can say while they sound a bit different than the HugoTT, I was surprised that to me, they do not necessarily sound better. At least the Hugo2 certainly did not. The DAVE did, but for my money, I'm not sure over 2x $$ better. The HugoTT still provides a 'sweet spot' type of sound to me. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #1,154 of 1,671
  So I listened to both the Hugo2 and DAVE over the weekend. I can say while they sound a bit different than the HugoTT, I was surprised that to me, they do not necessarily sound better. At least the Hugo2 certainly did not. The DAVE did, but for my money, I'm not sure over 2x $$ better. The HugoTT still provides a 'sweet spot' type of sound to me. 

interesting for us canadians its 3 times. i digress but any thoughts on hugo vs hugo 2?

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #1,155 of 1,671

interesting for us canadians its 3 times. i digress but any thoughts on hugo vs hugo 2?

I wish I could comment, but I've never heard the original Hugo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back