Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #1,111 of 1,671
Thanks Crowther, that is very useful to know as my TV contributes most to the problem. If you have no issues with the same brand it's possible either my TT (or my TV) is faulty.

PS I really only need the volume to work, since that is best adjusted from the listening position. On/off and input selection are only operated at the beginning and end of the session, and can be done at the device.

Feb 4, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #1,113 of 1,671
Hi everyone, I'm a happy owner of a Hugo which I use only as a desktop DAC to feed a Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0.
I am looking for a desktop alternative to the Hugo and I am obviously considering the TT. Is there any other alternative that comes to your mind?
I have not tested the TT but I trust it would be an upgrade from my Hugo, even though the price is a bit discouraging.

Sorry if I am slightly OT... 

Feb 4, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #1,114 of 1,671
To be very clear, my problems with the remote control do not mean I dislike the TT. On the contrary I am persisting with finding a resolution because I love the sound of it.

To Doraymon I would say the TT is clearly a step up from the Hugo and the price difference is proportional in hi-Fi terms. I listened and compared extensively, at different dealers and with different music, to confirm initial impressions. And of course it is designed for
desktop use.
Since owning the TT I have not had a day's disappointment with SQ. Detailed, musical, smooth, vital - not matched by other DACs in and above its price range.

In an audio industry straining after gimmicks like MQA, DSD and hi-res, Rob's DACs are a revelation.

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #1,115 of 1,671
To be very clear, my problems with the remote control do not mean I dislike the TT. On the contrary I am persisting with finding a resolution because I love the sound of it.

To Doraymon I would say the TT is clearly a step up from the Hugo and the price difference is proportional in hi-Fi terms. I listened and compared extensively, at different dealers and with different music, to confirm initial impressions. And of course it is designed for
desktop use.
Since owning the TT I have not had a day's disappointment with SQ. Detailed, musical, smooth, vital - not matched by other DACs in and above its price range.

In an audio industry straining after gimmicks like MQA, DSD and hi-res, Rob's DACs are a revelation.

Don't worry no-one is accusing you of having a dislike of the TT.

People are just trying to get a feel for the 'context or circumstances' when you experience these problems, and then try to suggest possible avenues to explore.

For idiosyncratic or intermittent problems, the 'root cause analysis' can take a bit of time to narrow down the true root cause, and it is not always easy to perform at a distance, so Chord and the posters on this thread, have to rely on you to be our 'eyes and ears' when testing your remote.

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #1,116 of 1,671
After one year of extensive use of the TT, I am always very pleased with the SQ of the TT.

With its spdif input via a Mutec reclocker or Yellowtec Puc2, it is the best DAC (without take into accout of the MSB Select Dac) that I listened or owned. The most "analog" sound !

Rob recommends not using any reclockers on his dacs as you are paying to purposely degrade the performance

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #1,118 of 1,671
TT is sold for au 6800 while hugo 2 is around 3500. Tt released after hugo 1. What i want to say is that the users of the TT will be upset if there is something bettered tt for half of the cost for many of them have obtained tt for less a year. Chord should work out something if thats the situation.

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #1,119 of 1,671

​Has anyone tried to attach an earth wire to the TT as part of equipment casework earthing system? The only way I could see of attaching an earth wire would be to the very small locking allen nuts on the back panel casework, but that would probably prevent connecting balanced cables or an optical cable and they may be too small to lock onto an earth wire connector. Or is it simply unnecessary to earth the casework  as it is battery operated?  Your (polite) thoughts please!

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #1,120 of 1,671
I know that this isn't a direct answer to your question, but I know that at least the lower definition USB input is galvanically isolated, so if I understand it correctly, you wouldn't need to ground the chassis. The higher definition USB input may be different, I just don't know; and of course one of the main reasons for having the optical connection is to prevent interference and grounding problems particularly on longer runs. I have an 8-meter WireWorld Supernova 7 running from my Sony UltraHD TV into a Simaudio MOON Neo 280D and it sounds lovely with a well-recorded soundtrack. By analogy, I can't imagine having a USB cable that long without running into problems. And, again, based on what I've been told by recoding engineers and having a dCS Debussy for a while, the truly right way to go for noiseless longer runs is dual-wire AES/EBU, but very few DACs actually support that. Hope that helps, and please no one flame me if you disagree. Just politely point out an alternate explanation. Thanks.

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #1,121 of 1,671

​Thanks for your reply. I haven't got a specific problem which I thinks needs addressing by grounding. It's more a case of getting the nth degree of performance from my setup and have been reading recently (HiFi+) that system grounding can reap large benefits.

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #1,122 of 1,671
I think that's true. And really good power cables can make a different particularly if you preserve the ground plane (so all three prong connectors and ideally the same type of cable). I put two Stealth Straight power cables between the wall and my P10 and the P10 and my Equi=Tech, and it actually made my turntable jump up a couple of notices. It's just this little Transrotor Rossini with a Jelco arm, but it's starting to sound like an SME Model 30 or any table that reduces surface noise and makes "the blacks blacker", all by putting much better power cables into the root power supplies for the whole system.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,124 of 1,671
My TT volume kept changing randomly the other day.

Kept getting louder in stages.

Odd... the light would just change colour on the ball and the volume jump up.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #1,125 of 1,671

Users who are viewing this thread

Back