Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #1,127 of 1,671
I am looking for a Hugo TT but Mytek Brroklyn is also on my list. Anyone compared these two before? Thank you!

​I had a very brief listen to the Mytek Brooklyn at last years National Audio Show using my Questyle QP1R  player as source and I thought it sounded not bad but just ok - it's not in the same league as the Chord Hugo TT so I moved on. To be fair it retails at half the price of the Hugo TT in the UK and it has  MQA processing if that's important to you.

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #1,131 of 1,671
I like me the TT

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #1,132 of 1,671
i didn't get time to filter through this thread. can someone explain the charging and battery life of the TT. for eg i've read it can be operated continuously from the mains for home use. can someone explain exactly how this works in relation to battery etc.

thanks mk

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #1,133 of 1,671
  i didn't get time to filter through this thread. can someone explain the charging and battery life of the TT. for eg i've read it can be operated continuously from the mains for home use. can someone explain exactly how this works in relation to battery etc.

thanks mk

I think the clue is in the name ie "TT" = Table Top. It is intended to be used in a home system and plugged in continuously.

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #1,134 of 1,671
hi Triode,

yes i understand that. but it is also clear that the battery does run out. i can't understand how this is related to being powered continuously from the charger and mains. is it a mains powered unit which is hybrid battery? could you put this fully into perspective for me in terms of day to day operation. why for eg does it need charging if it is designed to be 24/7 charger plugged in operating?

many thanks

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #1,135 of 1,671
  hi Triode,

yes i understand that. but it is also clear that the battery does run out. i can't understand how this is related to being powered continuously from the charger and mains. is it a mains powered unit which is hybrid battery? could you put this fully into perspective for me in terms of day to day operation. why for eg does it need charging if it is designed to be 24/7 charger plugged in operating?

many thanks

I had a TT for over a year. I never unplugged the charger all the time. What makes you think that the batteries can run out if the charger is plugged in 24/7? Have you seen / read something?

The unit runs off the batteries that are trickle charged. It does not draw current from the charger for the running of the TT, only for charging the batteries. So the unit is not 'mains charged' as such. The batteries can deliver the wallop of current as and when needed rather than having to have a massive main supplied supply. Does this help?

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #1,136 of 1,671
The manual states it can be left plugged in constantly and this does not affect the battery at all. In fact, always draining and recharging the battery will be more detrimental to the battery.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #1,137 of 1,671
so current is drawn from the charger only when it needs to charge the battery? the TT is powered exclusively by the trickle charging from the battery. all is good. what i still don't get is how does this differ from the hugo. the hugo's recommended mode of operation is identical, ie leave it plugged in 24/7. if the TT is designed as a table top device how then does its battery management differ to that of the hugo. obviously there is a point here im overlooking. i have a hugo 1 on the way and later this year would like to upgrade to a hugo 2 but im curious about the TT. my use is desktop mode.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #1,138 of 1,671
so current is drawn from the charger only when it needs to charge the battery? the TT is powered exclusively by the trickle charging from the battery. all is good. what i still don't get is how does this differ from the hugo. the hugo's recommended mode of operation is identical, ie leave it plugged in 24/7. if the TT is designed as a table top device how then does its battery management differ to that of the hugo. obviously there is a point here im overlooking. i have a hugo 1 on the way and later this year would like to upgrade to a hugo 2 but im curious about the TT. my use is desktop mode.

The TT uses supercapacitors in addition to batteries. How they work form an engineering standpoint I don't know but maybe google it.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #1,139 of 1,671
Hi mediahound,

so very simply do TT owners need to charge the battery on a regular basis? does the battery deplete even though its plugged in 24/7 through daily use?

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #1,140 of 1,671
  Hi mediahound,

so very simply do TT owners need to charge the battery on a regular basis? does the battery deplete even though its plugged in 24/7?

No, as mentioned, the TT was designed to be plugged in 24/7 per Mediahound's comments previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back