Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #1,486 of 1,671
Well obviously if money is no object buy tt2. Sight unseen. Now I don’t have speakers and I use a hp amp with tt, but why wouldn’t the sq be the same ish. Regardless tt sq will project the same on either. Source matters and demonstrates how much more one can get from tt.

Mar 22, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,487 of 1,671
Always feels like there is reserve power

Given that the Hugo2 is capable of more power output than the TT(1) this is not the case here. The TT(1) has the same power output as the Hugo(1) with a slightly higher Current bias.

Edit: The quote below is from the Hugo(1) thread.

Its because the figures are nonsense.

Hugo actual output is:
Output power - 1KHz 1V sinewave both channels driven 0.1% distortion
600 Ohms 35mW
300 Ohms 70mW
56 Ohms 320mW
32 Ohms 600mW
8 Ohms 720mW
Also Hugo TT share identical output stages, (except for increased bias current), same PSU voltage, same gain. So will deliver almost identical power for a given battery voltage.

Rob

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #1,488 of 1,671
For me hugo2 was flat in compare to TT. This was the main reason i sold it. And Qutest as well... they just sound flat to me. More details and mids yes.. but if all this beauty sounds flat, i cant accept.

Here is how they sound to me..
Hugo2, Qutes on the left compare to TT on the right

Thank you for help. I'll definitely think of changing hugo 2 to hugo TT. Just have to convince my
fiancee that another box for ~3k$ is necessary :wink: Maybe when I sell hugo2 I'll be able to make it work :p

Well obviously if money is no object buy tt2. Sight unseen. Now I don’t have speakers and I use a hp amp with tt, but why wouldn’t the sq be the same ish. Regardless tt sq will project the same on either. Source matters and demonstrates how much more one can get from tt.

Actually TT 2 now is out of my budget. In future why not (+ m scaler :ksc75smile:)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #1,489 of 1,671
Given that the Hugo2 is capable of more power output than the TT(1) this is not the case here. The TT(1) has the same power output as the Hugo(1) with a slightly higher Current bias.

Edit: The quote below is from the Hugo(1) thread.
The TT has the super caps for instantaneous bursts the 2 does not. Maybe power reserve was the wrong semantics. The sound is more effortless than the Hugo 2.

Mar 23, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #1,494 of 1,671
One more question, are super caps used for RCA output or only for the headphone output ?
the supercaps power the tt. You leave it plugged in tho.

Mar 24, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #1,496 of 1,671
Tt has a slight different caps than tt2. The op stage for chord is built in to the dac. The caps are the psu for the unit. Providing less noise than direct psu

Mar 24, 2019 at 8:18 AM Post #1,497 of 1,671
Tt has a slight different caps than tt2. The op stage for chord is built in to the dac. The caps are the psu for the unit. Providing less noise than direct psu
Also storing a large charge used to provide reserve power on need such as large musical transients. This gives that feel that TT is more effortless than the H2.

Apr 13, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #1,499 of 1,671
May 30, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #1,500 of 1,671
Hi everyone, I'm about to buy a pair of hifiman arya and I'm looking for an amp and a dac to pair it. My first choice would be a 789 but even if I manage to join the next drop I would have to wait 4+ months so I need a good dac with an integrated amp to use in the meantime. With a budget of 1900€ I can easily get an used hugo tt but can it drive the arya?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back