Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Nov 20, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #1,786 of 1,858
did you buy this used from some place/ one, or did you buy this brand new? they did upgrade the usb connection shortly after upgrading the case to accommodate larger analog/ and coax cables while also making the usb connection stronger.

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #1,787 of 1,858

I've had my Hugo for about a month and am getting annoyed with the less than secure connection to the HD USB socket.  I've already had one set of replacement cables from Chord after both short and long USB cables became increasingly loose in the socket and prone to dropping out with the slightest encouragement.  The new cables, while for the moment more secure in connection to that socket, are certainly not as secure as I would want or expect them to be.  Is this a common problem with the Hugo or have I just got one that needs a socket replacement.  My Hugo is always used on a flat surface with leads lying on the same surface, and I never carry the Hugo around in bags with the cables attached. 

I had the same problem and the best one for fit is my Moon Audio Silver Dragon, so I can recommend it.
Also the Lavricables one that removes the need for the Apple CCK (always the weak link in terms of SQ, in my experience of trying a few different connectors).

I have the MoonAudio SilverDragon and have no problems with secure fitting.  In fact, it's never been an issue with my unit.  Me thinks you might want to have the jack looked at.  Do you have the same trouble with the other USB connection?

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #1,789 of 1,858

Just got this lovely cable from an eBay seller discussed earlier, no comments on sound improvement (or lack thereof) yet but it's so nice having such a compact alternative to the CCK.

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #1,790 of 1,858
HI Everyone
I am seriously interested in the Chord Hugo or Mojo, and am looking for maximum sound quality to go with my Audeze El8 headphones. I use a Korg MR2 player/recorder as my DSD source. Currently I use a Neco V2, but now I have the Audeze, its a little underpowered.
Will the Chords work with my Korg MR2?
Any suggestions? at all?
Thanks

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #1,791 of 1,858
  HI Everyone
I am seriously interested in the Chord Hugo or Mojo, and am looking for maximum sound quality to go with my Audeze El8 headphones. I use a Korg MR2 player/recorder as my DSD source. Currently I use a Neco V2, but now I have the Audeze, its a little underpowered.
Will the Chords work with my Korg MR2?
Any suggestions? at all?
Thanks

I've had a quick look at the specs and it appears that the Korg MR2 does not have a digital output of any kind, so it will not work with any external DAC.
You'd be better looking at portable amps to drive the Audezes.

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #1,792 of 1,858
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, and for looking, I did see that on the MR2, however it was the mini usb port on the MR2 that has confused me, I use that for the file transfer, and thought that it could be compatible.
Ok, will contact Korg/Chord for a final answer.
Is there anything comparable out there with the Chords?

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #1,794 of 1,858
Hi Uzi2,
Maybe confusion here, will clarify. Thank you for your help again.

Looking for a top quality headphone amplifier to go with my Korg Mr2, I use this as a DSD recorder from my vinyl playback hifi system, and for playback of DSD files into my Neco V2 headlamp.

Since I bought the great Audeze EL8 headphones, I could do with a more powerful portable headphone amplifier, hence the query about the Chord Hugo and Mojo.

Is there anything else out there that comes close or is better than the Chords, which will suit the MR2?
I don't need a DAC, unless it can be bypassed.
I use the 3.5mm headphone out socket into the amplifier.

Thanks in advance

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #1,795 of 1,858
Sorry, I have misread comparable as compatible...
As the Chord's USP is it's DAC, the answer to your question is no.
There are a huge number of good headphone amps out there, most of which I have not heard, so I can't help there I'm afraid.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #1,796 of 1,858
Try a Headamp Pico Power amp. That's what i use to power portable if i need it like out of my AK120 analog out. Now with a Mojo don't know if i'll use it as much but it still comes in handy in unforeseen circumstances. It is a great portable amp and bulletproof.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #1,798 of 1,858

Just got this lovely cable from an eBay seller discussed earlier, no comments on sound improvement (or lack thereof) yet but it's so nice having such a compact alternative to the CCK.

I just got a Hugo... Please let me know if the cable works with the HD USB port as well... I'm using my iPhone 6s to playback DSD files via the Onkyo app...
Currently using the CCK but this is the cable I'm about to purchase...

eBay item number:​

Peace...
L3000.gif

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #1,799 of 1,858

I just got a Hugo... Please let me know if the cable works with the HD USB port as well... I'm using my iPhone 6s to playback DSD files via the Onkyo app...
Currently using the CCK but this is the cable I'm about to purchase...

eBay item number:​

Peace...
L3000.gif

Definitely works with the HD USB port. In fact, I only use the HD USB port :p
Best of luck getting the cable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back