Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Jan 20, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #1,021 of 1,858
  No worries, All I can say is for me anyway the Jh16's do not fatigue which was initially my fear when I went for having a pair of customs were the bass was accentuated but I've now had them almost three years and still don't bore of listening to them.  

One thing that may play a part is what type of music do you primarily listen to as that might determine which pair of iem's you go for to pair with your Hugo.  All I know is my 16's sound bliss through the Hugo and sound even more dynamic, airy, accurate with more clarity and wider soundstage with this pairing.  I listen to pretty much everything and think the 16's sound good with anything I listen to although will excel with those genres where the tuned extra bass suits so will less sound natural as some other ciems when it comes to listening to something orchestral or classical for example (maybe UERM would excel there) 

I thought when I heard the UE18pros when they first came out a few years ago the mids was their stand out part of their signature that kept me actually going between the Jh16's & EU18pros when I auditioned them up against each other when I was looking to buy one.   It was hard as I liked both but take out of that what you will with what one I choose in the end.

Did the K10's not excite you because?...

Personally from what I have heard through the Hugo so far any headphone or 'c'iem will sound good as the Hugo makes things sound analog, natural and very musical, I can imagine the Hugo can do this even with something like the HD800...

HD800 sounds great with Hugo as with my LCD-3f. Although HD800 feels it could benefit from more power.
Something about the K10... I think its the universal that I demo. It didn't sound right so I took out the tip and hold it to my ears as would a customs and the sound completely change.
If anyone here has experience with Hugo and K10, please share or PM me if don't want to go off topic, would be much appreciated.

The UE18Pro mids for me was a bit dry, I don't know how it goes with other dac/amp though.
My mind is 90% going towards JH16 Pro freq as my portable with Hugo and iPhone 6.
Other comments are welcome :)

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,022 of 1,858
Your choice seems valid. My only adding is the jh16 is bass heavy so for a as head a bit. I have eq to seminar them. The jh13 FP ade the perfect falt ciem.
The um musical is also mid ressed and bass heavy.
The Roxannes are a bit too rolled off and upper mid as well. But they have hands down the best dynamic presintation.
I am hoping the new top ciem from jerry is a more accurate

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,023 of 1,858
I had a brief test with the Hugo and I liked it's sound but I still have some questions for Hugo owners:

1. Does it have on/off thump into speakers/headphones on power-up/power-down?
2. Does the volume control work without digital decimation at lower volume levels?
3. Can you leave it always plugged in without ruining the batteries?
4. What does a battery swap cost?
5. Does the crossfeed work only on the headphone output or it affects the RCA's too?
6. Output impedance for both RCA's and headphone outputs. Does it have different output impedance on some headphone outputs? - I looked in the manual and it only says the damping factor is >100 and they list the power into 8ohms so I presume it's under 0.08 ohms but I'd like to know the exact impedance.
7. Does the black version scratch easily?  How thick is the "black stuff" on it - is the case completely black or is it just lightly anodized?
8. In my apt-x bluetooth tests when I set the HTC One down, moved two meters and put my body between the Hugo and the One, sometimes the music cut out ... how's your experience with the bluetooth range and stability with your devices? Was this because of the Hugo or because of my phone? Do you always have a stable connection across the room if there's no blocking or minimal blocking (people passing)?
9. Can you adjust the volume separately for the RCA's and the headphone outs?
10. Do you have to take out the headphones to use the RCA's or can you use both?

That's about all I can think of right now ... thanks.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #1,024 of 1,858
  I had a brief test with the Hugo and I liked it's sound but I still have some questions for Hugo owners:

2. Does the volume control work without digital decimation at lower volume levels?
5. Does the crossfeed work only on the headphone output or it affects the RCA's too?
6. Output impedance for both RCA's and headphone outputs. Does it have different output impedance on some headphone outputs? - I looked in the manual and it only says the damping factor is >100 and they list the power into 8ohms so I presume it's under 0.08 ohms but I'd like to know the exact impedance.
7. Does the black version scratch easily?  How thick is the "black stuff" on it - is the case completely black or is it just lightly anodized?
8. In my apt-x bluetooth tests when I set the HTC One down, moved two meters and put my body between the Hugo and the One, sometimes the music cut out ... how's your experience with the bluetooth range and stability with your devices? Was this because of the Hugo or because of my phone? Do you always have a stable connection across the room if there's no blocking or minimal blocking (people passing)?
10. Do you have to take out the headphones to use the RCA's or can you use both?

1) not that I noticed.
2) Sounded excellent to me at low volumes
3) Yes, you can leave it always plugged-in - Rob took extreme care with the power management circuit

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #1,025 of 1,858

1) not that I noticed.
3) Yes, you can leave it always plugged-in - Rob took extreme care with the power management circuit

I appreciate the intention but 1. is vague and 2. is not what I asked.

If you're going to answer at least be reasonably certain. :)

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #1,027 of 1,858
1) not that I noticed.

My reply by numbers.
Item 1 no thump. It's silent in ant manner i have used it. It. Even if changing inputs as well as turning it on.
Item 2 of course ot looses something all volume control, do. But it's minimal and nothing I can hear .
Item 3 I do not but according to rob watts yes we can.
Item 4 I have no idea but given its a a high end product and batteries last a long time . It's not a concern of mine .
Item 5 I do not use it so I have no idea .
Item 6 not sure but I thought they were all the same or the end phones are for sure. In my using of an external amp I have mixed emotions of it improved or not. .
Item 7 , I do not own one but Ina, sore it can be scratched as the alum can be as well. I do think it's a non issue for me though .
Item 8 blue tooth stink no mater whom makes . It's not the device it's the comppinecy . It must be delt with period.
Item 9 no same volume for all,the outputs. Hence I think they are all connected .
Item 10 no they allegory at the same time . Again someone who has opened it can be abe ter judge of this. .
Al

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #1,028 of 1,858
Good to know it doesn't thump.

As to scratches on black, they look bad if they're silver - on silver you can ignore them as they don't jump at you.

Even good batteries degrade after 3-4 years of use.

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #1,030 of 1,858
I owned the Roxanne and used the 1964 v8 for extended period. I think hugo scales very well on ciem.personally, the Roxanne felt like a lcd3f and especially so on the hugo.

I have also tried shure 846 and everything sounds smoother and musical. Of all the audio equipment line up, hugo is the best buy as it scales really well on most phones.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #1,031 of 1,858
I owned the Roxanne and used the 1964 v8 for extended period. I think hugo scales very well on ciem.personally, the Roxanne felt like a lcd3f and especially so on the hugo.

I have also tried shure 846 and everything sounds smoother and musical. Of all the audio equipment line up, hugo is the best buy as it scales really well on most phones.

i am looking to purchase either a pair of Roxanne's or se846 to use with both my Hugo & ak240. which would you recommend and why? i have a pair of Shure se425 and enjoy them. simply looking to upgrade.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #1,032 of 1,858
i am looking to purchase either a pair of Roxanne's or se846 to use with both my Hugo & ak240. which would you recommend and why? i have a pair of Shure se425 and enjoy them. simply looking to upgrade.

I'll list the Roxanne vs S846 in points form which are relative comparison.. The Roxanne i'm using is custom and the experience may be different vs the universal.

Roxanne is warmer and darker signature. It doesnt have the extended treble vs the 846. A warmer and less extended signature makes it appear to be lesser in clarity.Personally, I feel its an illusion as Roxanne is definitely not hazy or clouded. Its probably due to the less extended treble. Roxanne has a smoother sounding vs the more define S846. S846 bass kicks in hard and define, while the Roxanne appears more textured and smooth. For vocals, S846 is on the brighter side while Roxanne is the warmer. Both sounded lush at its own way. Soundstage, Roxanne has a very wide presence while S846 is more intimate. S846 has 3 filters to adjust sound signature while Roxanne uses the dial to adjust the bass.

I wouldnt say smooth is definite good or define as absolute best. Its just the different presentation of the sound signature from the earphone. A wide sound stage is less intimate but makes one feel seated in a concert hall. That is why the best sound is always debatable. 

1 thing for sure, whenever Hugo is plugged into the audio system, it bring the best out of the earphones. I'm pretty certain about that.

Jan 28, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #1,033 of 1,858
I'll list the Roxanne vs S846 in points form which are relative comparison.. The Roxanne i'm using is custom and the experience may be different vs the universal.

Roxanne is warmer and darker signature. It doesnt have the extended treble vs the 846. A warmer and less extended signature makes it appear to be lesser in clarity.Personally, I feel its an illusion as Roxanne is definitely not hazy or clouded. Its probably due to the less extended treble. Roxanne has a smoother sounding vs the more define S846. S846 bass kicks in hard and define, while the Roxanne appears more textured and smooth. For vocals, S846 is on the brighter side while Roxanne is the warmer. Both sounded lush at its own way. Soundstage, Roxanne has a very wide presence while S846 is more intimate. S846 has 3 filters to adjust sound signature while Roxanne uses the dial to adjust the bass.

I wouldnt say smooth is definite good or define as absolute best. Its just the different presentation of the sound signature from the earphone. A wide sound stage is less intimate but makes one feel seated in a concert hall. That is why the best sound is always debatable. 

1 thing for sure, whenever Hugo is plugged into the audio system, it bring the best out of the earphones. I'm pretty certain about that.

thank you. this is good information. have you ever listened to a pair of hd650's with the Hugo? I'm guessing that the Roxy's have a similar sound???

Jan 28, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #1,034 of 1,858
Regarding price of the Ak 240.
By gui it's great
By connection it's great
By its outputs both analog and digital it's again great.
But now we come to sound here there is avast opinion to be formed.
For me it's s tad warm not for me
For me my 4 year old hibino hdp r10 sounded just as good and mire neutral.
When I connect thus unite to home speaked system or a flagship headphone it reminds me it's a portable device and I am now exposing it's many flaws.
I have a few protibles including iPhones
But I also have a few dac / Amps. The truth is I like all of the dac amp combos more theta te all less warm. But they are not daps. And the ones I have are about on air with it.
Both the iBasso and cypher labs to me are more favorable to use.
But the ak240 is just a very gui friendly very dependable sure footed device to use. It always works never had to be reset or freezes. It's rock solid. If I use it Asa transport with my hugo or other portible devices it's fine. If there was a mod to rid it's warmness I would do it quickly. Other than this it's perfection.
Now regarding there price they do have lesser models and for me the cost dies seem a bit high. But hey this is no holes barred audio so all is fair in price gouging.
Just look the prices of hi end audio it's just ridicullas. Everyone swings for the fences here and either hits a home run or fails. Just looks the hugo a medioker dac that gets great praise form the ones who got it on discount.
Al

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #1,035 of 1,858
thank you. this is good information. have you ever listened to a pair of hd650's with the Hugo? I'm guessing that the Roxy's have a similar sound???

Imho Roxanne sounds a lot darker and full/intimate or conjested/boomy (depends on if you like/dislike it) than HD650. If you are looking for JH I feel the Angie would be what you look for.

And yes Hugo brings out the best in any C/IEM I tried pairing. It also drives HD650 decently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back