Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Jan 15, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #1,006 of 1,858
now I'll have to send him a email & ask... cheers for that lil nugget
wink_face.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #1,009 of 1,858
Hugo Bluetooth code is 0000 IIRC and should then connect straight away...

Is there a particular difference in the opinion required of having TOTL CIEM vs TOTL IEM??

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #1,010 of 1,858
  Anyone here use flagship CIEM with Hugo?
Would love to hear your opinion.

Hi Somphon, 

If it helps I use a pair of 1st gen Jh16Pros with the Hugo... was their flagship until recently! 

The Jh16's sound very good with a stand alone dap like my Sony ZX1 for example or even my old Sony X-series was a good pairing and I've heard my JH16's through amp/dac set up's like the IFI range, Audiolab M-Dac, Senn HDVD800 and have to say the Hugo takes the JH16's up another notch and you really hear lot more of the JH16's real potential through them.  

The 16's just extend in what they already do well because of the Hugo and the pairing sounds very natural (for exception of JH16's tuned bass response of course), fluid and organic with further improved on already good dynamics with a great rhythmic timing and makes the Jh16's sound even wider with more sense of space. The volume on the Hugo reacts great with the 16's at low volumes with what seems to me quite a black background and if you really want to rock with these at the top end volume with ACDC this will blow your socks off.  And just to note this is not even the freq phase version of the JH16. 

I can sit there for literally hours listening to them as I can honestly say I have not ever got bored once with this presentation but to be honest I can say the same with any headphone, iem's also I have heard through the Hugo. I could say the same for what the Hugo done for my Sony 7520 Headphones, took them to another planet (almost, or me anyway) which will give me enough time to save up for a flagship pair of open back cans to go with the Hugo.  Hope this helps a little.

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #1,011 of 1,858
I'm not sure they're flagship, but UERM's are a great combo with Hugo...

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #1,013 of 1,858
Nice case and setup. Looks gangster for sure
But why are you saying fiannaly. Hd800. Also as the hd800 Are detail monsters. What's your thoughts of the combo

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #1,015 of 1,858
But why are you saying fiannaly. Hd800. Also as the hd800 Are detail monsters. What's your thoughts of the combo

The red cable is a DHC Peptide RCA to 3.5mm that I plugged into another amp. I used the Hugo's line out through RCA to use with another amp in driving the HD800.

The reason I did this is because the HD800 sounded too lean driven directly by the Chord.

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #1,016 of 1,858

For some reason, the Hugo + HD800 tandem sounds too lean. Detailed, yes. Bodied? No.

That's why I added another amp at the bottom of that stack. Now it sounds heavenly. And fun, too.

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #1,017 of 1,858
Yes agree but it is vices to sound this way
But when I didbtry other amps I did yeald different results. But for me I took the top end off s bit and the hugo sound did not improve
But to each. There own.
Al

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #1,018 of 1,858
Yes agree but it is vices to sound this way
But when I didbtry other amps I did yeald different results. But for me I took the top end off s bit and the hugo sound did not improve
But to each. There own.
Al

It's all about synergy, man.  Luckily, my rig sounded fantastic.  It even beat the Mjolnir in musicality and mids body.

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #1,019 of 1,858
  Hi Somphon, 

If it helps I use a pair of 1st gen Jh16Pros with the Hugo... was their flagship until recently! 

The Jh16's sound very good with a stand alone dap like my Sony ZX1 for example or even my old Sony X-series was a good pairing and I've heard my JH16's through amp/dac set up's like the IFI range, Audiolab M-Dac, Senn HDVD800 and have to say the Hugo takes the JH16's up another notch and you really hear lot more of the JH16's real potential through them.  

The 16's just extend in what they already do well because of the Hugo and the pairing sounds very natural (for exception of JH16's tuned bass response of course), fluid and organic with further improved on already good dynamics with a great rhythmic timing and makes the Jh16's sound even wider with more sense of space. The volume on the Hugo reacts great with the 16's at low volumes with what seems to me quite a black background and if you really want to rock with these at the top end volume with ACDC this will blow your socks off.  And just to note this is not even the freq phase version of the JH16. 

I can sit there for literally hours listening to them as I can honestly say I have not ever got bored once with this presentation but to be honest I can say the same with any headphone, iem's also I have heard through the Hugo. I could say the same for what the Hugo done for my Sony 7520 Headphones, took them to another planet (almost, or me anyway) which will give me enough time to save up for a flagship pair of open back cans to go with the Hugo.  Hope this helps a little.

I'm not sure they're flagship, but UERM's are a great combo with Hugo...

Thanks to both for your reply. My short list (not really short) are below, I auditioned all of them but each brand are carried out by different vendor so its quite difficult to compare them. All of them I auditioned on Hugo as it will be my main portable setup with my iPhone or other DAP in the future.

1. JH16Pro (loved it but fear it will be fatiguing)
2. UERM (only heard once in Singapore and loved it, but don't remember the details of my listened, also fear of fatigue)
3. UE18Pro (fun fun fun but mids is not so sweet)
4. FitEars MH335DW (fun fun fun but not details)
5. Noble K10 (has the best sound to my ears, but somehow it didn't excite me, still considering it)

I have both LCD-3 and HD800 with my Hugo. I don't find HD800 fatiguing but I also don't listen to it to relax.
I don't mean to go off topic but my set up is Hugo and I want to know how they goes with it.

Can you chip in on your opinion if fatigue is an issue with UERM or JH16 through Hugo?

Cheers

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #1,020 of 1,858

Thanks to both for your reply. My short list (not really short) are below, I auditioned all of them but each brand are carried out by different vendor so its quite difficult to compare them. All of them I auditioned on Hugo as it will be my main portable setup with my iPhone or other DAP in the future.

1. JH16Pro (loved it but fear it will be fatiguing)
2. UERM (only heard once in Singapore and loved it, but don't remember the details of my listened, also fear of fatigue)
3. UE18Pro (fun fun fun but mids is not so sweet)
4. FitEars MH335DW (fun fun fun but not details)
5. Noble K10 (has the best sound to my ears, but somehow it didn't excite me, still considering it)

I have both LCD-3 and HD800 with my Hugo. I don't find HD800 fatiguing but I also don't listen to it to relax.
I don't mean to go off topic but my set up is Hugo and I want to know how they goes with it.

Can you chip in on your opinion if fatigue is an issue with UERM or JH16 through Hugo?

Cheers

No worries, All I can say is for me anyway the Jh16's do not fatigue which was initially my fear when I went for having a pair of customs were the bass was accentuated but I've now had them almost three years and still don't bore of listening to them.  

One thing that may play a part is what type of music do you primarily listen to as that might determine which pair of iem's you go for to pair with your Hugo.  All I know is my 16's sound bliss through the Hugo and sound even more dynamic, airy, accurate with more clarity and wider soundstage with this pairing.  I listen to pretty much everything and think the 16's sound good with anything I listen to although will excel with those genres where the tuned extra bass suits so will less sound natural as some other ciems when it comes to listening to something orchestral or classical for example (maybe UERM would excel there) 

I thought when I heard the UE18pros when they first came out a few years ago the mids was their stand out part of their signature that kept me actually going between the Jh16's & EU18pros when I auditioned them up against each other when I was looking to buy one.   It was hard as I liked both but take out of that what you will with what one I choose in the end.

Did the K10's not excite you because?...

Personally from what I have heard through the Hugo so far any headphone or 'c'iem will sound good as the Hugo makes things sound analog, natural and very musical, I can imagine the Hugo can do this even with something like the HD800...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back