Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Jan 10, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #991 of 1,858
A dCS Paganini, so comparing would not be really fair. But, the Hugo let me hear a lot of things other dacs I had (exclude the Paganini here) did not shown. It must be that FPGA chip vs of-the-shelf dac's. Before these dac's I had a Antelope Audio Zodiac +, while it was a good dac the Hugo and Paganini are a lot better.

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #992 of 1,858
A dCS Paganini, so comparing would not be really fair. But, the Hugo let me hear a lot of things other dacs I had (exclude the Paganini here) did not shown. It must be that FPGA chip vs of-the-shelf dac's.

That's some DAC :eek: And, yes, it would be somewhat unfair. Well, if you have a dCS and still like the Hugo, it gives me hope that I'm not hearing things.

Cheers.

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #993 of 1,858
Thanks, it took me some time to acquire a dac on this level. That the Hugo comes close (to my ears) is indeed a compliment to the designer of the Hugo, Rob Watts.

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #997 of 1,858
What toshlink input does the Hugo have, standard. Thus if I take mini toslink out of my ak120 or MacBook Pro then I would go mini to standard? Is that correct?

yes
check out this link:

http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=349

Jan 12, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #998 of 1,858
Hey @dallan,
It's a standard on the Hugo, so you need a mini-toslink to standard. There are those that prefer the one that came in the box to the expensive ones. Feel free to borrow my sys-concepts and you can AB when yours arrives. 

Quote:
What toshlink input does the Hugo have, standard. Thus if I take mini toslink out of my ak120 or MacBook Pro then I would go mini to standard? Is that correct?

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #999 of 1,858
My experience with the note 4: N9100 dual sim variant.
1. uapp is needed for > 48 files.
2. Onkyo outputs 48 only. I get crashes, som my conclusion is ios app is more stable.
3. Stock player outputs 48 only. This is a step forward from the old models where note 3 wouldn't output using the stock player.

Onkyo and stock player needs some on-off switching and plugging on-off scheme to get it to work.

Anyone else been able to play around with note 4? Are you experiencing the same?

I typically use my ak's with the hugo but wanted to find out if my phones would work.

ios no problem.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #1,000 of 1,858
I have one and a hugo. I could not get the hugo to link up using an otg cable or non.
The inkyo hd app works fine but only to 48 as you noted. But it does play all formats
Down investing all.
The iPhone's so far are best for me

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #1,002 of 1,858
ok I need a bit of help with a Bluetooth problem, definitely not my best subject admittedly... my mate has a Sony Xperia phone and he's trying to figure how to connect to the Hugo via Bluetooth, obviously he ain't had much luck so I'm wondering if he needs a Sony 'codec' to connect... any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #1,003 of 1,858
Hugo uses the A2DP and (better) APTX, codec, does it not?

Is he trying to use a Sony codec? That might be proprietary and not work with non-Sony gear.

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #1,005 of 1,858
I'm no bluetooth expert, but that is fundamental to a smartphone and to the Android operating system upon which it is based. It definitely should not be necessary to manually install a bluetooth codec, for general use.

Is he able to connect anything at all via bluetooth, or is it a total no-go for bluetooth altogether, at the moment? (e.g. can he bluetooth connect the phone to something like bluetooth speakers or a bluetooth headset?)

Need to distinguish between a Hugo miscommunication, or a total bluetooth issue on the phone..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back